SD card/file folders & files

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I plugged my thunderbolt into the computer yesterday, and chose to set my device as a disk drive. I didn't have any problems connecting the pc to phone, just had to close out of the pop up vzw page and some driver installations. When I was browsing I seen a bunch of files, to me I wish it was simplistic...folder for music ringtones documents pictures videos etc. the main essential stuff. So when browsing I looked at the photo folder, (forgot what its called D..something then pictures) and when I opened that there were 2 sub-folders. One being the pictures currently on my phone, and another being a thumbnail folder. I opened the thumbnail folder and found all of the pictures that I had deleted from my phone, why doesn't this delete from the thumbnail folder as well? If there are pictures that I wanted to delete I would hope that they are completely deleted off the phone, but in this case apparently they can still be traced in this thumbnail folder.

Also, while using the phone as a disk drive am I able to access the thunderbolts internal memory from the same removable disk drive thats popping up for my sd card?

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the same thing with my deleted pics. The thumbnails remained. I didn't use a computer though. I downloaded Astro File Manager and saw them on my SD card. I deleted them using that. Strange.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
the pic folder is called 'DCIM', same name as you'll find on most if not all Digital Cameras memory cards (XD,MMC,SD)

while you have the phone mounted to the computer as a disk drive, you won't be able to navigate to your phones internal memory through your computer interface. to do so, you'll have to download an app (like Astro or ES File Explorer) and navigate to the root of your SD card while your phone is NOT mounted to your computer. it can be charging via USB, but can not be mounted as a drive.

opening an app like Astro/ESFE, at the top should be the address bar (similar to the address bar of your WindowsExplorer), navigate to the uppermost (root) area of the Explorer. in my case, it shows an icon of the phone and then "/".
at this point, you'll see the folder heirarchy of the phone (anything that is viewable is viewable without root--there are loads more folders that could be viewable when you obtain root access to your phone through multiple rooting methods).

from here, you can navigate back to the SD card by hitting the house Icon or scrolling down through the files and hitting "MNT" and then "SDCARD" to see the files/folders stored on your SD card.

note: when downloading a File Explorer, be sure to enable the HiddenFile view through your Settings Tab.

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
the pic folder is called 'DCIM', same name as you'll find on most if not all Digital Cameras memory cards (XD,MMC,SD)

while you have the phone mounted to the computer as a disk drive, you won't be able to navigate to your phones internal memory through your computer interface. to do so, you'll have to download an app (like Astro or ES File Explorer) and navigate to the root of your SD card while your phone is NOT mounted to your computer. it can be charging via USB, but can not be mounted as a drive.

opening an app like Astro/ESFE, at the top should be the address bar (similar to the address bar of your WindowsExplorer), navigate to the uppermost (root) area of the Explorer. in my case, it shows an icon of the phone and then "/".
at this point, you'll see the folder heirarchy of the phone (anything that is viewable is viewable without root--there are loads more folders that could be viewable when you obtain root access to your phone through multiple rooting methods).

from here, you can navigate back to the SD card by hitting the house Icon or scrolling down through the files and hitting "MNT" and then "SDCARD" to see the files/folders stored on your SD card.

note: when downloading a File Explorer, be sure to enable the HiddenFile view through your Settings Tab.

Thanks a lot for this!! Is there any explanation as to why those thumbnail photos stay on the sd card even after the original photos have been deleted? Its like you have to go in and delete the picture twice.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot for this!! Is there any explanation as to why those thumbnail photos stay on the sd card even after the original photos have been deleted? Its like you have to go in and delete the picture twice.
People have commented occasionally that Android doesn't do a great job cleaning up after itself. I believe you have hit on one area. However, you can delete them all and when you need them they will be auto-magically re-created :)

-Frank

abc_plus

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
This problem is likely to happen when the SD card is removed out of the Android device and then updated with any picture, music or video files.
Here's another solution:
?Select "Media Storage" located at Settings/Apps/All/
?Select "Clear data"
?Select "OK"
This will force all thumbnails to be refreshed; it can take a while depending on the amount of files.
This problem may be avoided if you transfer files with the SD card inside your android device using the regular USB cable