No 4G LTE in 2011...should I keep my Thunderbolt?

daabsolute1

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at the 4G LTE coverage map and noticed that my area is not due for an upgrade in 2011...should I even bother keeping this phone? I love it so far but I feel like I am not getting the best I can from it since I will not even see 4G LTE in 2011, and not even sure it will be in 2012. I have a couple more days to decide...any suggestions if I do decide to return it? I gave my wife my rooted OG so she could upgrade from her Eris and she loves it. I would be forced to pick a different phone.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I guess if you just want to save a $100 bux or something, but even as a 3g it's still a one time $100 better choice in my opinion.

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I honestly decided on the TB before ever even looking at the 4G map. I'm in a small town but near a city that's scheduled to get LTE in the next month or so - it may not reach all the way out here and/or I may end up in one of those awful fringe areas which'll cause me to switch it off for the sake of my battery life. Regardless, I still wouldn't trade this phone for any other.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I honestly decided on the TB before ever even looking at the 4G map. I'm in a small town but near a city that's scheduled to get LTE in the next month or so - it may not reach all the way out here and/or I may end up in one of those awful fringe areas which'll cause me to switch it off for the sake of my battery life. Regardless, I still wouldn't trade this phone for any other.

Same here. I didn't think I would get LTE when I bought it. They don't have VA in any of their map plans for coming soon. I got lucky though as I work close to DC, so I do get to enjoy 4g at work all day, but that was just a nice bonus.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Unless you are unhappy with the phone for some reason, I'd keep it. You'll be able to take advantage of 4G once you get the service in your area and, if you happen to travel to place that has it, you can take advantage of it there. The phone itself is solid so why not keep it?

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I would take it back.
there are a lot of phones coming out very soon. The Droid X2, The new Incredible 2 for starters are Non 4G phones due out soon. The Motorola Bionic and a phone from Samsung will both have LTE.

If you can wait a couple of months, you will have many more choices

p.s. I couldn't wait.

daabsolute1

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all of the responses. I think I have decided to keep it. I agree it is the best phone out right now for Verizon and unless I want to wait a few months for something new it would be best to hold on to it.

I love this phone...and I am not holding my breathe on VZW with LTE yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs