Preventing Facebook from Syncing with my Contacts

ChezDigital

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't want Facebook to look at my phone's contact at all. Primarily, I don't want it adding contacts to my phone or adding info to my contacts -- specifically populating a picture or throwing a status message that scrolls by when a contact calls me.

I really thought I had that locked, but I guess I don't. What am I missing?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
When you first sign up for FBs app, it will tell you.. FB will use it's profile pics as default for your phones contacts. Go into the app.. Menu>Settings>Contacts... Don't Sync.
Also check your phones Accounts... Menu>Settings>Accounts & Sync>Facebook> Turn off syncing of Contacts. ....If you want it completely removed... Delete the account.. Reboot your phone.

SCampbell27

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
When you first sign up for FBs app, it will tell you.. FB will use it's profile pics as default for your phones contacts. Go into the app.. Menu>Settings>Contacts... Don't Sync.
Also check your phones Accounts... Menu>Settings>Accounts & Sync>Facebook> Turn off syncing of Contacts. ....If you want it completely removed... Delete the account.. Reboot your phone.

Thanks for posting this, because this was one of my only issues with the phone after getting it today.

ChezDigital

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

That was it right there...Facebook for HTC Sense -- which magically appeared there, since the Facebook app is also there, but that's the only one I inatalled.

Thanks!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Can you do the delete the existence of it under the sync section but not actually delete the entire app?

Yes... Keep the app but turn off Sync Contacts in the apps settings. Then go to your phones settings... accounts and sync and "remove account" for Facebook/HTC Sense for Facebook if they are listed.

SCampbell27

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I can remove the Facebook all together to block the syncing to my contacts, and just download the Facebook app from the market place and not have the same issue, correct?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I can remove the Facebook all together to block the syncing to my contacts, and just download the Facebook app from the market place and not have the same issue, correct?

Yes... but if you don't want it tied to your contacts, turn off Sync Contacts in the app as mentioned above (it will also show up under Accounts & Sync). There's two Facebooks, the one that comes with the phone "HTC Sense for Facebook" and the one from the market. Both have options for syncing contacts. There's a thread laying around here somewhere explaining the difference between the two Facebooks. If I get a chance I'll post the link for you.. or just do a thread search. Its called "facebook vs facebook for sense" or something like that.

EDIT: Here, found it... difference between the two facebooks: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-thunderbolt/70086-facebook-differences.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol