Verizon Network Extender/Mobile Hotspot

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Hope this is ok placed here, since this is for my Tbolt ...

Can anybody tell me the value of the Verizon Network Extender? Is it worth the money?

My signal is awful in this area. Occasionally I can get a decent signal for texting from inside my home, but NEVER can I get a strong enough (or usable) data signal, and rarely can I actually have a phone conversation with my cell. I've been looking at the Extender for a while now, but it's a hunka change.

So my questions ...

First, is this new 4G mobile hotspot device also a network extender for cell/text signals?

Second, I see there's an older and new model of Network Extender out there. The older, model number SCS-26UC4, and a newer one that is SCS-2U01. The newer one is supposed to be EDVO capable. Can I assume the older one is not? ;-) If so, what does that mean - no 3G data can go across the older one, or can it, but just at a slower rate?

I see both models available on eBay (far more of the older than the newer, of course), and I'm strongly considering a purchase there to save the money. My data connection would be WiFi while here at home, so I don't think that the EDVO necessarily matters for my purpose. I just want to reliable get text messages in and out and voice calls.

Any/all advice on the subject greatly appreciated folks!

srmoreno

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Mine is the older one. I use WiFi for data and I never drop a call with the use of the extender. I highly suggest getting it if you're like me where everyone calls the cell and not the house phone

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

srmoreno

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Should you not have WiFi on it uses the 3g from a tower nearby. Should there be no available 3g the extended will take over for data but the older version will only support 1X.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Reactions: hannsoft

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a Network Extender and I couldn't live without it. It's a great product for what it was designed. It was designed so that you can use your cell phone to make voice calls in an area without a cellular signal, as long as you have an Internet connection. And for that purpose, it works great! I use my cell as my only business number and it is imperative that I can always be reached, as well as always make calls out. The Network Extender does all of that, in spades. I started with the older 1x Extender and upgraded to the 3G.

Before I had the Network Extender I had a wireless repeater with a 30 foot mast antenna on my roof. Still have it actually for backup. But it never was as good as the Network Extender.

The older Network Extender will do 1x data, not 3G. However, that is not its strong point. Voice is what it's all about. The newer Network Extender does Voice, 1x and 3G (not 4G). It works pretty good for all of that. However, the primary benefit is always gonna be voice. I mean, after all, if you have an Internet connection you can always use Wifi on your phone, as you said.

The Mobile Hotspot (either on your phone or the seperate unit you can buy) will NOT allow you to talk voice on your cell phone. The ONLY thing they do is to work off of the NATIVE wireless cell signal in your area and provide a data connection to your PC/Laptop. They are data-only. Nothing like a Network Extender. They do not use your home Internet connection. If you have a lousy cell signal at your house they would be worthless at your house.

Anyway, I give the Network Extender a +10 on a scale of 1-10. Keeping in mind that it is designed for people like us that otherwise could not even make/receive a call.

My home office is in the lower level room in my house (garden level they call it - half underground). On top of that I have steel siding on my house. I call it "RF Repellent" :) And, the signal outside of my house is 0-1 bar. The Network Extender is my lifeline to the cellular world.

Some people continue to play "phone roulette", changing and exchanging phones until they finally find one that will hold a signal in their house (as long as they stand by a certain window in a certain corner of the room, etc.). I prefer the virtual guarantee that the Network Extender gives me. It's a one-time expense with no recurring charges.

-Frank

Last edited:
Reactions: hannsoft

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Frank, Shawn, you guys are terrific, thank you! That's exactly what I was after! The 3G/1x thing was what I didn't know, and I obviously was WAY off on 4G Mobile hotspot.

Speaking of which, I wonder how long a wait we have until a 4G version of this hits the streets?

And digging further ... if I understand what I'm reading about this, you can set up "priority" cellphones, but you cannot prevent others from using it. Is that right? I really don't want to spend $250 so that my neighbors can get nice new cell phone signals. I'm just not that nice a guy. ;-)

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I have three of the original Verizon femtocells (needed at the time for coverage) and at first I thought they were great. After numerous issues with a voip solution I finally turned all of them off. Luckily service is now a bit better than it was when I went the extender route and all threw femtocells have been decommissioned.

Bottom line. If you have no (zero) signal, and are willing to give up some bandwidth (extender uses your broadband...say voip) give one a try.

Per the ops latest question. You can have Verizon create priority white lists but when I was using them you could not create exclusion lists.
I would be more worried about having everyone use your bandwidth for voip.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Frank, Shawn, you guys are terrific, thank you! That's exactly what I was after! The 3G/1x thing was what I didn't know, and I obviously was WAY off on 4G Mobile hotspot.

Speaking of which, I wonder how long a wait we have until a 4G version of this hits the streets?

And digging further ... if I understand what I'm reading about this, you can set up "priority" cellphones, but you cannot prevent others from using it. Is that right? I really don't want to spend $250 so that my neighbors can get nice new cell phone signals. I'm just not that nice a guy. ;-)
You are 100 percent correct about the priority system.

Also, you should know, the older 1x NE only supports 3 total connections. The newer 3G model supports 8 simultaneous connections.

-Frank

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
You are 100 percent correct about the priority system.

Also, you should know, the older 1x NE only supports 3 total connections. The newer 3G model supports 8 simultaneous connections.

-Frank

Oh now that sucks. I live in a condo complex ... it's very easy to imagine there's gonna be other Verizon cell phones in the reachable area of where I'd put this thing. They're gonna be able to ride this signal and get themselves 4 bars off my equipment dime AND ride my broadband throughput as well? Oh that is not a good thing - not likin' that at all ... especially when I think that there will be times when the I'll be doing little more than texting!

srmoreno

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
You can set it up to be a closed system meaning only the cell numbers you input into the acceptable field can use the extender.. The only exception would be if someone calls 911 then the extender would open up for them should they be in proximity to it and didnt have a tower signal. So no worrying about people using your extender and taking up your bandwidth.

Shawn

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
You can set it up to be a closed system meaning only the cell numbers you input into the acceptable field can use the extender.. The only exception would be if someone calls 911 then the extender would open up for them should they be in proximity to it and didnt have a tower signal. So no worrying about people using your extender and taking up your bandwidth.

Shawn

Well alrighty now - that's more like it. ;-) Thanks Shawn.

Hmm .. maybe a sign outside that tells neighbors I have it, and maybe for a fee ...? ;-)

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Kind of off topic but for those who only have bad coverage around their house is there a roaming option like with sprint on rooted evo's? I mean if you only used it occasionally I am sure roaming might give a better signal in your home? I am looking for this option as occasionally I am in an area that would greatly benefit from this. Anyone know of an option?