Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Really?

Ok, this is getting a little crazy... please tell me I'm not the only one experiencing this unacceptable battery behavior.

Last night, before I went to bed I turned off wifi, auto sync and gps. Battery was at exactly 54%. This was at 1am. Woke up at 9am and the battery life was at friggn' 6%. Seriously, is this normal?

First off, why the hell don't you plug your phone in while you sleep? And no that's not acceptable, I haven't had that bad of battery life. Mines been pretty acceptable.
    Device history:
    Storm 1 > Tour > Droid > Droid Incredible > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Motorola Razr HD MAXX & Nexus 7
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

So lemme get this straight. Going to bed with your battery at 55% and waking up with it at 5% is ok? Since I'm crazy for not plugging it in when I go to sleep. If that's the mentality you guys have going into purchases like this then jesus christ, you all are some forgiving people.

I don't want to sound mean, but I've mentioned this at least 4 times in the other 4 threads about bad battery life over the last week. I lose about 10-12% battery overnight and it's been that way consistently since I've stopped plugging my phone in at night. And it doesn't matter if it's fully charged or at 75%, it drains pretty much the same. So there is obviously something that you need to do to fix your issue or you may just have a bad battery.

To Mordecaidrake, I don't charge my phone while I sleep because the only place I can keep it right now causes it to overheat if it's charging and the same thing happened while I had my Storm. I don't have a table on my side of the bed and the bed is really high off the ground and I use my phone as my alarm. So I keep my phone under the edge of my pillows at night so I don't wake up my wife and so I don't have to walk across the room to turn off the alarm. So there are reasons not to charge your phone at night.

No it's not okay that it dropped that much, but it's rather stupid to not charge your phone while your sleeping. IMHO, that's the best time to charge it your not using so why not make the best of that time. This way when you're awake you don't have to plug it in/be tethered to an outlet or computer.

Edit: WebDevAnalyst, you have an acceptable reason to not charge at night, although what are you charging your phone on that it over heats?! haha
    Device history:
    Storm 1 > Tour > Droid > Droid Incredible > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Motorola Razr HD MAXX & Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by Mordecaidrake View Post
    Edit: WebDevAnalyst, you have an acceptable reason to not charge at night, although what are you charging your phone on that it over heats?! haha
    I've found that plugging the OEM wall charger into the wall upside down pretty much brings my phone close to flames. @webdev, you might want to have your home electrical checked. Sounds like you have some power issues that could be dangerous if left unattended. Who knows what lamps or appliances are overheating and you don't notice!

Quote Originally Posted by Mordecaidrake View Post
    No it's not okay that it dropped that much, but it's rather stupid to not charge your phone while your sleeping. IMHO, that's the best time to charge it your not using so why not make the best of that time. This way when you're awake you don't have to plug it in/be tethered to an outlet or computer.

Well when I would plug it in I would put it under my pillows like always. I think just being stuck between the mattress and the pillows doesn't allow the heat to disperse so it builds up.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

So maybe it's my battery. Can I take it to Verizon for a replacement?

this reminds me of my sister who showed up at work in the morning with low battery. The Atrix is her first smart phone and she thinks of it as her other phones that can go for days on end. I told her it's like a laptop, it doesn't last long battery wise. so now she knows and charges it once a day.

but anyways op: yes that's not normal. I lose roughly 10% overnight. check the battery threads first if you aren't sure what to look for. things like bluetooth on, weather updates or emails sync frequency, etc.

10% drop overnight seems to be typical for me too. But I now plug it in every night anyway.
    T-Mobile: HTC One | Nexus 4 | Former iPhone user

I don't see much battery drop but I always plug it in, and even when I'm using 3g in town, my battery doesn't change much when I'm doing the bare minimum.

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have multiple batteries and an external charger so that I don't have to charge the phone. If I'm not charged to at least 80% when I go to bed, it's shut down by morning. It happens with all 3 of my batteries. Can't imagine they are all bad. Never had an Android phone with this issue. I don't think VZW will have a solution, so I'm living with it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I have found that one of the best battery savers while I am home is to be on wifi. All the syncs and such go over wifi which is less than 3g and the wifi uses way less than the continual phone checking to make sure it had a radio signal. I never did bump charging but I find by leaving the phone plugged in for 1-2 hours after the green light comes on my battery doesnt drop 5-8 % immediately. (Disclosure: no 4g here). And, strangely enough, I bought my TB on day 1 and the longer I own it the better the battery performs. ;

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

I'll add my 2 cents. The most probable thing happening is that your phone is searching for signal while it's under your pillow. Whether it is between 4g to 3g or no signal at all, it seems to eat battery life more than the screen. If this isn't your only phone, try putting it in airplane mode while you sleep. Several benefits; no phonecalls during the night, alarm still works, and bAttery when you wake up. I have to turn my phone to airplane mode when I am at work. (Don't know what they build the schools out of here, but no signal gets through.) Try that and see if that helps.

Edit: my biggest problem is spellcheck messing up what I have typed.