Thunderbolt iGrip PerfektFit Car Charging Docks

XXI

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I bought a iGrip today from Verizon and I hooked a charger to it so when I put my phone in it I noticed 2 things

1. It automatically opens Navigation

2. It forces my home screens to horizontal

Question I have is how does the dock make this happen? When i plug my phone into a regular phone charger all it does is charges it, none of the stuff I mentioned above.

HiPower

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I own a vzw car dock for the thunderbolt. After having disassembled to to see about modding it for the extended battery, there are no magnets involved in the automatic activation of car mode. It is all done with a circuit board attaching both micro usb ports. You should be able to use the phone in portrait or landscape mode. It will toggle depending on the orientation of the phone. You can also hit menu, and exit car mode to return you to your home screen if you haven't already discovered this.

Subliminal

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
You can also delete the apk for the htc car mode if you've got root.

I removed the HTC one and installed the google one. Car Dock is nice, but without a music button...worthless to me.

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
XXI, do you like that dock so far? I was lucky enough to win one of them that AC is giving away! Looking forward to trying it out soon.

marcsledjeski

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Phone Overheating

Anyone using the iGrip car charging dock that's having their TB overheating? I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the dock or it's just being by the windshield on a hot day.

Spaky223

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I own a vzw car dock for the thunderbolt. After having disassembled to to see about modding it for the extended battery, there are no magnets involved in the automatic activation of car mode. It is all done with a circuit board attaching both micro usb ports. You should be able to use the phone in portrait or landscape mode. It will toggle depending on the orientation of the phone. You can also hit menu, and exit car mode to return you to your home screen if you haven't already discovered this.

Were you able to mod it? Curious because I have one

androidguy916

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I believe the dock mode is activated by either shorting pin 4 (ID) to pin 5 (ground) of the micro USB connector or by putting a resistance between the 2 pins. I have a breakout connector but haven't played with it yet to confirm this. I don't believe it's done with magnets as it is in the Moto Droids. I don't know if the combination of a left or right side tilt with the shorted USB connector pins is what activates the dock mode. I have to make time to experiment with this.

Bill

bigcanoe

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I bought a iGrip today from Verizon and I hooked a charger to it so when I put my phone in it I noticed 2 things

1. It automatically opens Navigation

2. It forces my home screens to horizontal

Question I have is how does the dock make this happen? When i plug my phone into a regular phone charger all it does is charges it, none of the stuff I mentioned above.
What model did you order?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol