New Contacts?

ak2j

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
ok. lets say i recieved a call from someone not in my contact list. at the end of the call my bolt asks if i would like to add them as a contact, i like that. the problem is by default it sends the said contact to "people" which in turn does not sync with my google contcts and apparently there is no way to do this (according to HTC rep). my question is can i sync my "people" contacts with my "google" contacts or can i change the default setting to save contacts to google? thanks in advance

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
IIRC, when you get to that new contact screen you should have a dropdown menu near the top that says "Contact type" - that's where you can switch it to Google. I haven't figured out a way to make Google the default, though. We may be stuck with that one extra step each time.

If you already have contacts saved under Phone and you wanna switch them over, open People and tap menu -> import/export -> export to SD card -> Phone. After that's finished, go back in to menu -> import/export -> import from SD card and choose Google when the "Create contact under account" prompt pops up.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
As Rem said, during the adding operation you have to manually switch from "Phone" to "Google" (in my case I switch to "Exchange/Activesync"). Point is that it will default to "Phone" every time and you have to change it on the fly. No way that I know of in the native HTC app to change the default away from "Phone".

-Frank

ak2j

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
IIRC, If you already have contacts saved under Phone and you wanna switch them over, open People and tap menu -> import/export -> export to SD card -> Phone. After that's finished, go back in to menu -> import/export -> import from SD card and choose Google when the "Create contact under account" prompt pops up.

Thanks. i will try that. do i have to do each contact individually or can i export them all at one time and then let google merge all duplicate contacts?

yes i can export all, should have tried before asking. sorry

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. i will try that. do i have to do each contact individually or can i export them all at one time and then let google merge all duplicate contacts?

No problem! It will save them all as one .vcf so no, you won't have to do it for each individual contact. In my experience the phone generally manages to merge duplicates automatically but sometimes it will miss a few. In that case you should get a prompt in your notification bar to merge them later or you can just go through and do it manually.

Last edited: