Just got an HTC Thunderbolt :D- One question

DaRev3rend

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Just got a TB. Pretty awesome so far.... Its my first smart phone and its pretty overwhelming with all it can do... One question, I accidentally removed Friend Stream and now when I put it back onto one of my homescreens it is just a widget. How do I make it over the whole screen like it is on the stock TB. thanks

SUB-dawg

Nexus Lover
Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Add the widget, hit the personalize button, add a widget, find friend stream and add it.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt via Tapatalk

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I think you can do the following to get the full screen widget back.

1. Press the Personalize (paint palette) in the lower right
2. Press on Widgets
3. Press on FriendStream
4. Press Select
5. Drag widget onto empty screen

There are a lot of other useful widgets too.

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, you made me realize that I can remove it.

Yeah, one of the first things I did on my phone was remove the Friend Stream widget, since I don't use websites like Facebook or MySpace.

Love that you can customize all 7 home screens with whatever you want.
I rarely use the app list, because all the apps I use are on my home screens.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, one of the first things I did on my phone was remove the Friend Stream widget, since I don't use websites like Facebook or MySpace.

Love that you can customize all 7 home screens with whatever you want.
I rarely use the app list, because all the apps I use are on my home screens.

Options and customization. Don't you just love Android. :)
Sent From My Xoom or Thunderbolt, pick one

SCampbell27

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Just got a TB. Pretty awesome so far.... Its my first smart phone and its pretty overwhelming with all it can do... One question, I accidentally removed Friend Stream and now when I put it back onto one of my homescreens it is just a widget. How do I make it over the whole screen like it is on the stock TB. thanks

Phone is definitely overwhelming coming from a life long Blackberry owner..

overwhelming in a good way though.

I'm just frustrated that I'm back at step 1 all over again with having to learn a new device and what I can do with it.

I still don't completely understand what a widget is, how to root, what apps I need to download, etc.

Smittyn804

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm just frustrated that I'm back at step 1 all over again with having to learn a new device and what I can do with it.

I still don't completely understand what a widget is, how to root, what apps I need to download, etc.

I was in the same boat as you and at times find myself back in it :) But luckily enough there is a wealth of info.http://http://forum.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html
There are tons of links to get you on the right path but this should get you rolling.

As for rooting I recommend checking this first.
http://http://www.androidcentral.com/sometimes-root-isn%E2%80%99t-answer just to give you something to consider.

Last edited:

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

Widgets are the "windows" on your home screen more or less. Having an Android handset such as the Thunderbolt is like having a tiny laptop or tablet in your pocket, oh yea and it has a phone somewhere too!

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

I'm coming from BB as well and not looking back.

A Widget is basically the same as an App Launcher Icon but with advanced functionality. Like you can click on the Calendar Icon to open it or you can use a Calendar Widget and have the entire month show in full on one of your Home Screens for instant access (there are other Calendar Widget settings as well). Or ScoreMobile, you can just have the app icon on screen and click on it to open it every time or you can have the Widget on a Home Screen with up to 5 leagues constantly updating scores and game times at a polling interval you choose. Click on the widget and it opens the app itself. Really cool.

Rooting is NOT necessary but it can be advantageous. I'd recommend you familiarize yourself with the OS and Sense UI as is for a while. Customize your phone and add some apps based on your desires/needs and go from there. Root it if you like but you probably want to wait until you find something you can't live without that requires root access.

Many of the Stock Apps built into the UI are pretty decent but there are also many great alternatives that are Free in the Android Market and elsewhere that can really help you master your phone. There are also numerous apps that resemble or directly mimic BB apps that you can add to have the best of both worlds. Supposedly BBM for Android is due out soon.

Here's a list to help you get started, these are the apps I'm currently using. Your tastes and requirements are no doubt different than mine and this list is by no means permanent on my 'Bolt either ... LOL.

Some of these replace stock apps, some are already on the phone and many are just my personal faves based on what I want from the device. Your mileage may vary.

Additional info/descriptions of 95% of these apps can be found in the Market.

App Name Purpose
Adobe AIR Needed for another app to run
Amazon Kindle Reader Kindle e-book reader
ASTRO File Manager File Manager - must have for SD card
c:geo GeoCaching App
Douglas Fur's Call of the Wild Pinball Pinball table
Dropbox File Sharing
Free Golf GPS Range Finder Golf Course GPS
FreeCaddie Golf GPS Golf Course GPS
Google Maps (update) Maps and Navigation
GPS Status and Toolbox Check and force update of GPS
Handcent Smileys Plugin Handcent extra smileys
Handcent SMS SMS/MMS Messaging
History Eraser Clears caches and logs
HoneyDew Cross-platform to-do list
I Heart Radio I Heart Radio
IMDB Movies and TV IMDB Movie Database
K-9 Mail Mail Client
Live Holdem Poker Pro Poker
MixZing Media Player Music Player with EQ
My bank's app Online Banking
Netflix Queue Manager Netflix
Opera Mobile Web Browser Web Browser
Pandora Radio Pandora Radio
PdaNet Tethering app
Phone Info Turn off 4G quickly and other uses
Photobucket Mobile Photobucket
Pinball Deluxe Pinball - 4 tables
PodTrapper Podcast Manager Podcast/Vodcast Manager/Player
Poynt Find Gas, Restaurants, etc
QQ Player Video Player multi-format
QR Droid QR code reader
QuickPic Photo Viewer and Editor
Rainy Days Standalone Weather Radar only
Scanner Radio Police and Fire scanner
ScoreMobile for Android Sports Scores with great Widget
Slacker Slacker Radio
SpeedX 3D Game (works with red/blue 3d glasses)
Street View on Google Maps Not an APP - Plugin for Google Maps
TwonkyServer Mobile For DLNA access on wifi network
US Army Survival Guide You never know ?
Visual Voicemail Voicemail app
Wheres My Droid Phone Finder
Yahoo! Mail Yahoo Mail client
YouTube YouTube app

All of the above work and play together perfectly on my 'Bolt.

Reactions: Forgetful