Extended battery drained SO quickly...why?

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
My extended battery got drained SUPER fast today.So I love my extended battery but for some reason today, my phone lasted about 8-9 hours. That doesn't seem bad, but that's on "moderate" usage and for this extended battery its about half of what I'm used to. I've used my phone way more than this before and it has always lasted 14 or more hours and sometimes even up to 20 with light to moderate usage. I watched it today drain WAY faster than normal. I checked the battery usage and it was the usual display using the most (I keep it on low setting) followed by calls and camera and web, etc... Nothing out of the ordinary today. I used my camera several times. The only different thing I did was download the new Vintage Camera app and played with it for about 10 minutes. But then I closed it out and went about my day.

I also checked the usage settings and it showed that my Android System was running 100% of the day with no sleeping. I wasn't using it that much. The screen was off when I wasn't using it. Any one have any ideas what happened?

Its now totally drained so I have no way of getting more stats. Booo. Thanks for your thoughts!

MojaveHigh

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
My TB has been getting very decent battery life on the regular battery for the last few weeks. Yesterday, I installed a bunch of apps to try them out as well as trying out some new music players. For the rest of the day, my battery drained about 10 times as fast as usual, even when idling. I restarted it and it was back to normal and has been fine today.

The only times I've had battery problems are after installing apps and testing them out. Something gets out of whack and requires a reset to get back to normal.

Don't know if this was your situation but it's something to look out for.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
I doubt you're alone with this issue. I've always heard bad things about battery life, and I'm not surprised to read that even an extended battery doesn't last a a workday. I would look into your return options, or settle up on a second extended battery.

Dude, weren't you on another thread calling all early adopters guinea pigs and now you here adding doubt to someone elses thread. I think the OP is looking for some guidance here and not someone telling him his phone choice is hopeless and he should either return it or spend another 50 bux on a battery. MOST people who have the extended battery get almost 22hrs of battery life with the extended battery and when the OP didn't today he was looking for advise with his current phone. He just stated that he USUALLY get 14-20 hours with it...STOP TROLLING please.

SMD - did you get a new app that you forgot to close today or a live wallpaper or something. Remember this a multi-tasking phone and you need to close the apps (if possible) after using them. For example, if you areusing the navigation and hit the Home button it will take you to your home screen but he navigation will still be working in the background but you wouldn't really know by just loking at the phone.

Last edited:

petestl

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to Android, but it seems like you need to make sure you exit apps, not just return to the homescreen. I also have a battery widget (I can't remember if it's htc or beautiful widgets). But it let's meet see percentage of battery, and when you click on it it shows what used the most power- display, individual apps, etc. I also go to settings, manage Apps and look at running apps. Weather.com application seems to suck the battery down and keeps running after you exit.
Hope that works for you

Reactions: rhelfand

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
My extended battery got drained SUPER fast today.So I love my extended battery but for some reason today, my phone lasted about 8-9 hours. That doesn't seem bad, but that's on "moderate" usage and for this extended battery its about half of what I'm used to. I've used my phone way more than this before and it has always lasted 14 or more hours and sometimes even up to 20 with light to moderate usage. I watched it today drain WAY faster than normal. I checked the battery usage and it was the usual display using the most (I keep it on low setting) followed by calls and camera and web, etc... Nothing out of the ordinary today. I used my camera several times. The only different thing I did was download the new Vintage Camera app and played with it for about 10 minutes. But then I closed it out and went about my day.

I also checked the usage settings and it showed that my Android System was running 100% of the day with no sleeping. I wasn't using it that much. The screen was off when I wasn't using it. Any one have any ideas what happened?

Its now totally drained so I have no way of getting more stats. Booo. Thanks for your thoughts!
I think sometimes some program gets stuck in a constant data/sync mode and can run your battery down lickity split. Once I had a data sync operation get "stuck" where the data arrows were constantly on and never went off. The battery/phone was getting quite hot. It was obvious something wasn't right. I powered down, took out the battery, put it back together, powered it on and it's been fine ever since. That was three weeks ago :)

-Frank

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Dude, weren't you on another thread calling all early adopters guinea pigs and now you here adding doubt to someone thread. I think the OP is looking for some guidance here and not someone telling him his phone choice is hopeless and he should either return it or spend another 50 bux on a battery. MOST people who ahve the extended battery get almost 22hours of battery life with the extended battery and when the OP didn't today he looking for advise with his current phone. He jsut stated that he USUALLY get 14-20 hours with it...STOP TROLLING please.

Yep. Trolling in the low volume thread too.

Sent from the Bolt via Tapatalk

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Haha, I know you guys are going to defend your purchase, but really, c'mon, the phone was pushed back due to battery life issues, and now it's still bad. That's not trolling. That's the sad truth. I can talk down about your device.

WRONG, it's not about defending the device it's about constructively helping someone who is asking for help. That's what makes AC members so awesome. I can go 12 hours with my "bad battery life" and when I go to bed I still have 45% battery left with stock. That's not defending my device that's fact. It is trolling when you go on every post where someone is having a problem and just talk it down even more. Oh and I do apologize to you Frag x 3 because I know that calling people a troll is also trolling...my bad.

Last edited:

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I told him to get an extra battery, I was helping. If there's anything you guys can think of to get this man through a workday (with an EXTENDED battery), please, I want to hear it. Now I'm trolling. I really want to see how this plays out. Good luck, fellas.

It was probably just an error with the system not killing the apps like it should and leaving them on, which would drain the battery no problem.

SMD- Have you tried the battery pull for 30 seconds?

And Frag- Please stop your only making yourself look more foolish.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have an extended batt. Usually pop it in sat. morning and use a little over half by monday morning. That's heavy use. I use it over the weekend because I don't like to charge because I'm always on it. No batt. issues during the week because it's always charging at my desk or in car.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I told him to get an extra battery, I was helping. If there's anything you guys can think of to get this man through a workday (with an EXTENDED battery), please, I want to hear it. Now I'm trolling. I really want to see how this plays out. Good luck, fellas.

well read Franks post above.

I have had this issue before and caught it mid day and rebooted the phone and everything went back to normal. I think I lost 10% in the first 30 mins of the phone being off the charger and didnt even use it, after the reboot over the next few hours and several phone calls/text/emails I was only down another 10%

Good thing you did have the extended battery because you would have only made it 4-6 hours with the stock battery.

Hopefully they fix it in an update, there are a lot of little things I think need to be fixed/cleaned up/changed in an update but nothing that is a deal breaker for having this phone and now hearing all the rumors about the Bionic being cancelled I am glad I went with the TB and didnt wait

rob90262

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I have read before If it drained fast let it completely die then charge again cause sometimes it takes a couple charges for the extended battery to fully hold a charge. Also if you notice it starting to drain fast hold the power button and choose restart cause it closes all the apps and restart the phone . Hope this helps

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Dude, weren't you on another thread calling all early adopters guinea pigs and now you here adding doubt to someone elses thread. I think the OP is looking for some guidance here and not someone telling him his phone choice is hopeless and he should either return it or spend another 50 bux on a battery. MOST people who have the extended battery get almost 22hrs of battery life with the extended battery and when the OP didn't today he was looking for advise with his current phone. He just stated that he USUALLY get 14-20 hours with it...STOP TROLLING please.

SMD - did you get a new app that you forgot to close today or a live wallpaper or something. Remember this a multi-tasking phone and you need to close the apps (if possible) after using them. For example, if you areusing the navigation and hit the Home button it will take you to your home screen but he navigation will still be working in the background but you wouldn't really know by just loking at the phone.

Good lookin' out. :) Thanks. Yes, I use the extended battery and normally get a day full of whatever I want on my phone. I love it. I'm not leaving. I appreciate everyones responses so far. I couldn't respond sooner cuz, well, my phones been dead and I've been out. But its charging again. Maybe a simple restart or battery pull will solve it all. Again, this is not normal. I love my extended battery. It's looks, feel, and practicality. But today was weird. It never slept for some reason.

Do I close apps? Yes. I've always been good at this. I rarely hit the home screen button at all and always back out of apps. I did use maps a bit, but that's normal and I closed it out as I always do.

Maybe I missed something. Or maybe it was one of the apps I downloaded recently (since the last restart I downloaded Google Gesture from another AC forum suggestion and Vignette Camera New Version (oops I called it "vintage" in my original post...my bad). But in a quick check of my power usage and partial wake usage before it drained out, everything seemed to be normal. Maybe it was one of those apps. Something made my phone be "awake" all day with no sleep. If its back tomorrow I'll try to get more details in here so I can get help from y'all.

Actually, I just checked my phone now as its charging and looking at the battery usage in the Phone Info app it shows running at 26.7%. Granted its plugged in, but that stat never was at "100% Running" all day long so maybe that power down did it. I'm going to let it charge tonight and see what happens tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help. And for getting my back against evil trollers. :D Just kidding, I don't even know what I'm talking about and I'm sure that guy meant well. Thank you all.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I had a widget cause abnormal battery drain when I first installed it. It was the Kayak travel update widget. For some reason it updated too frequently or something and drained my battery quickly. I forced closed the widget and it stopped the drain. Since then Kayak had an update and it hasn't happened again.

My extended battery lasts me 26 hours! Extremely happy with that.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I just put my extended battery to the test yesterday, my girl had minor surgery so I was at the hospital for most of the day.
Wireless the whole time, could barely get a CDMA or LTE signal inside the building.
I was playing games, online, emailing work, texting and making calls as the day went on (had to go outside for the latter...) By 9PM yesterday it was still at 46%.

That day would've killed my stocker.

The ONLY drawback IMO of the preggo battery is no cases yet....and I'll have to modify my car dock to use it. It would've been nice to smooth the battery cover instead of making it square/block like...but I can live with it!

rhelfand

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was browsing battery threads because I've had some issues over the past few days regarding unusually bad performance.

One thing mentioned in this thread by petestl made me think ... really the only thing I had done in the past week was install Weather applications. I installed Weatherbug first, didn't really care for it, then uninstalled that and tried The Weather Channel app. So, I went in to the app this morning, disabled all severe weather alerts, and actually exited the app (which I realized I hadn't done before).

I'm hoping this fixes my battery issues and helps trigger something for you or someone else having problems. :)

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I just put my extended battery to the test yesterday, my girl had minor surgery so I was at the hospital for most of the day.
Wireless the whole time, could barely get a CDMA or LTE signal inside the building.
I was playing games, online, emailing work, texting and making calls as the day went on (had to go outside for the latter...) By 9PM yesterday it was still at 46%.

That day would've killed my stocker.

The ONLY drawback IMO of the preggo battery is no cases yet....and I'll have to modify my car dock to use it. It would've been nice to smooth the battery cover instead of making it square/block like...but I can live with it!

Preggo batt. Ahhahaha! Just changed my visual of it forever! Lol... I love my preggo batt. I don't turn her on every day but when I do we make sweet sweet love..

Last edited:

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, all seems to be well now since the phone shut down. Interestingly enough, I was also in a hospital yesterday (with my preggo wife :D) with no reception. Somehow over the course of the day my phone mysteriously switched to "LTE mode" as well. Weird. Either way, its not constantly awake today. Must have been a recently downloaded app causing the issue. The shut down seems to have solved it. Thanks for all your help!

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Its funny. Today my extended battery is a champ. Almost like its apologizing for being bad yesterday. Its running for over 4 hours and is at 96% still. Love it!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca