Can't use Tbolt as USB drive for PS3

jpattersonlee

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Alright, this is a pretty specific problem...at least I think so, but any help would be appreciated.

I used to use my Dinc to transfer files from my computer to my PS3. Then I got my Thunderbolt and I haven't been able to do so with it.

Yes, I know about the SD card needing to be formatted with the FAT32 file system. I know about the folder structure on the SD card so that the PS3 can find the files.

While I can connect to my laptop just fine, it just won't work on the PS3. It's not the cable, nor the USB port(s) that I've tried. I don't know...I just can't figure it out.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The ONLY thing I can think of is that maybe the ROM I have loaded (Das BAMF 1.4) for some reason doesn't support USB connection to the PS3.

Thanks.

lukaszm

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I never even considered the possibility of doing this and just gave it a shot. I don't even get the "Connect to PC" options menu after plugging into the PS3 (running stock everything). It just auto charges. Hope you get some answers.

jpattersonlee

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Same here...it just charges.

Haven't gotten any answers...oh well. I'm gonna have to figure something out soon though. Can't keep transferring files with DVD-RW....lol.

Buzzy42

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I think the problem is the bogus CD-ROM driver that it tries to install. I haven't tried the Tbolt and and my PS3 but I had an external hard drive that did something similar (for its backup software)-- it installed a CD-ROM and then the normal drive would come in second, and the PS3 would never see the hard drive itself.

I just returned the HD so I didn't really investigate if there was a way around the issue, but I bet that's the problem.

jpattersonlee

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I talked to a couple guys on the IRC channel for the Tbolt that I found out about over on xda. One of them thought it actually has to do with a firmware update for the PS3...3.50+. Said that update made it so a lot of connected devices wouldn't actually connect. Based on my somewhat vague recollection of events, I think this is probably right.

Guess I'll just have to use my old clunky desktop external HDD. This sucks.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Same here...it just charges.

Have you changed your usb connection to mount as a hard drive?
Once you do this you should see "USB Device (Android Phone)" in say your music or video columns in the XMB.

With my Evo, if I have it set to charge only?
The PS3 will not recognize my Evo.

BTW, my Evo is stock running froyo.
And my ps3 firmware is 3.60

jpattersonlee

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't get that option in the notification bar. I'm pretty sure it's the firmware thing. Well...it's the only logical thing that I can see at this point.

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It's not set in the notification bar.

To change the USB connection type on the phone press the following:
On main home screen press "menu" button on phone
Choose "Settings"
Scroll down to and choose "Connect to PC"
Choose "Default connection type"
Choose "Disc Drive"
Press "Done"

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I already have that set as a default.

Try rebooting your TB with the PS3 still connected. After the reboot,
A menu should appear asking what type of USB connection/mount?

From there select mount as hard disk drive.

Then check your PS3's XMB to see if your TB is now recognized?

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
It's not set in the notification bar.

To change the USB connection type on the phone press the following:
On main home screen press "menu" button on phone
Choose "Settings"
Scroll down to and choose "Connect to PC"
Choose "Default connection type"
Choose "Disc Drive"
Press "Done"

This.