Testing the old saying, "If it sounds too good to be true..."

Is mikestorm getting ripped off?

• Total voters

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
So I just fulfilled a 'Buy it Now' transaction on eBay for a brand new Thunderbolt...for AU 200.00. With shipping it converted to $230 USD.

Seller created his account yesterday
Seller had 0 feedback
Seller is (obviously) from Australia.

I have a 40% to 50% degree of confidence this will pan out.

Auction made no mention of 'contract required' and the title specifically had the word 'unlocked' and the phrase 'operates on Verizon's network' in the description which to me is an assertion that the ESN is good.

Seller also has a 14 day return policy. I pulled the trigger because the price was too good to pass up and worth the hassle of submitting a claim in case I get boned on the deal.

So what do you all think?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It sounds too good to be true. I generally avoid eBay because of all the dishonest sellers and buyers. I wish you the best of luck but I'd be afraid it's either a counterfeit device or something is terribly wrong. It's not uncommon for a seller to say it was "damaged in shipping" and "it's not my fault, take it up with the shipping carrier".

Good luck.

By the way, do you have a link to this auction so we can see it?

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I would never buy a phone from someone in a country where they have no way of buying the phone themselves?? How did someone in Australia get a USA exclusive device and on a carrier that does not use a sim card as fully as gsm so there is no "unlocked" Verizon phone, all cdma is already "unlocked" its just up to the carrier to support it.

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

streetstrip01

Legalized Drug Dealer
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
So I just fulfilled a 'Buy it Now' transaction on eBay for a brand new Thunderbolt...for AU 200.00. With shipping it converted to $230 USD.

Seller created his account yesterday
Seller had 0 feedback
Seller is (obviously) from Australia.

I have a 40% to 50% degree of confidence this will pan out.

Auction made no mention of 'contract required' and the title specifically had the word 'unlocked' and the phrase 'operates on Verizon's network' in the description which to me is an assertion that the ESN is good.

Seller also has a 14 day return policy. I pulled the trigger because the price was too good to pass up and worth the hassle of submitting a claim in case I get boned on the deal.

So what do you all think?
754-719-Vaseline_White_Petroleum_Jelly.jpg

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Unlocked? No feedback? New account? I hope you can get your money back easily if this doesn't work out. Keep us posted.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I would call vzw and check to make sure that the phone is indeed clean. get the esn from the seller and make sure.

you dont want to be buying a phone thats been reported stolen.

this does sound really shady though. good luck.

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Unlocked? No feedback? New account? I hope you can get your money back easily if this doesn't work out. Keep us posted.

Will I get my money back? Probably.
Will I get it back easily? Unlikely.

I bought the phone fully expecting this to be a scam. I figured this will make for an interesting experiment.

Still, I've never met a dishonest Australian.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Before you pay, try to contact the person by phone. Have him take a photo of the phone with a quarter or something like that in the picture so you know he has it. Also, even though it does sound like fraud, you can contact eBay and have them try to verify the account BEFORE you pay. Use their "live chat" to get quicker responses. If you do pay, use paypal so you are covered (up to a certain amount which I can't recall off hand). Don't send any cashier's checks or money orders or anything like that.

Good luck!

lady.grey18

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't doubt it too quick. I made a seller account just for the purpose of selling my OG Droid for Thunderbolt money. Ya never know if they just made the account to get rid of the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair