Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Just got a Thunderbolt in light of recent Bionic news..

    Here's to hoping I love this phone more than my OG Droid. In the end, I have 14 days to return it so we'll see.

    Main thing is battery, I haven't had a chance to play with it, it's charging now. Made sure to switch 4G off so I hope to last at least 12 hours with moderate use.

    Not quite the original thread, but I'm excited and couldn't resist
  2. #2  
    GoldLeader's Avatar

    Posts
    183 Posts
    ROM
    stock

    Default

    Welcome to the club! Most people love their Bolt. Hope it works out for you.
    I've had mine for 4 weeks and love it.
  3. #3  

    Default

    I don't live in a 4G area and I find that I get about the same battery life on my thunderbolt that I got on my OG Droid.

    Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
  4. #4  

    Default

    Best phone I've ever owned. You won't be disappointed. Battery is not nearly as bad as some say. I get 12 hours easy with moderate use.
  5. #5  
    Edwill86's Avatar

    Posts
    1,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Franco

    Default

    I hope you love it as much as I do!
    yeah after 2 weeks the life greatly improves. i get about 9-15 hours on the stock on 4g.
    Devices: Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7
  6. #6  
    DC Damien's Avatar

    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

    Default

    I bought mine Friday on a 1-year. I think today was the last of the 1-yr deals. Today I got about 8 hours for the battery. played a lots but no video, games or music. battery use as about 49% screen and 46% phone. I do hope it gets better life down the road because it doubles as my business device and my personal device. Kicked the blackberry to the curb!
  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bstmstrxellos View Post
    I don't live in a 4G area and I find that I get about the same battery life on my thunderbolt that I got on my OG Droid.

    Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    This ^^. I got one for a week just to play with it, and in an area where it's roaming on US Cellular at 1xrtt (2.5 G) I was getting well over a full day of HEAVY use. Heavy as in 3 email accounts and over 1000 emails a day, two twitter accounts, 3 news reader apps and all the normal things I do, syncing everything.

    I also got over 60 hours standby time out of it.

    The battery issues are all just LTE growing pains that you guinea pigs get to help fix. As a trade-off ya'll get grandfathered into an LTE unlimited plan and have the best device on Verizon (for now) to play with Buy a spare battery and a stand alone wall charger and never look back.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  8. #8  
    DC Damien's Avatar

    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    This ^^. I got one for a week just to play with it, and in an area where it's roaming on US Cellular at 1xrtt (2.5 G) I was getting well over a full day of HEAVY use. Heavy as in 3 email accounts and over 1000 emails a day, two twitter accounts, 3 news reader apps and all the normal things I do, syncing everything.

    I also got over 60 hours standby time out of it.

    The battery issues are all just LTE growing pains that you guinea pigs get to help fix. As a trade-off ya'll get grandfathered into an LTE unlimited plan and have the best device on Verizon (for now) to play with Buy a spare battery and a stand alone wall charger and never look back.
    I'm not sure I'm doing much to help fix the problems But if I can figure out how to get that kind of use for a full day I will be a very happy camper indeed.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DC Damien View Post
    I'm not sure I'm doing much to help fix the problems But if I can figure out how to get that kind of use for a full day I will be a very happy camper indeed.
    Minus some sort of PRL hack, you're at the mercy of the signal. My point is that any "extra" battery problems can (and should) be fixed with further Verizon network tweaking. My case is a bit extreme, because with no Verizon towers it stops polling for even a 3G signal and just runs with what it has
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  
    JRZLocal's Avatar

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    434 Global Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

    Default

    Congrats on the phone, love my thunderbolt. Glad I didn't wait for the bionic.
  11. #11  
    menji's Avatar

    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

    Default

    Makes me so much happier I only considered the bionic for 5 mins. At the same time, i remember what we all went through waiting for the bolt and the release dates. Hearing the rumors that the phone might be canceled altogether, with the chance that no word might be released on it, is killer. I feel for those waiting on the bionic. In any case, welcome to the club, and she will treat you very well lol.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRZLocal View Post
    Congrats on the phone, love my thunderbolt. Glad I didn't wait for the bionic.
    I am definitely happy that I didn't wait for the Bionic. As much as I would have liked a dual core device with LTE, I am really happy with this phone and just love the fact that I have LTE.


    Sent from my Thunderbolt
  13. #13  
    SoDev's Avatar

    Posts
    1,035 Posts
    ROM
    CM7 RC1.2

    Default

    Glad I didn't try to wait for the Bionic... was never a realistic option, but I had thought about it at the time... I would have missed out on 1yr contract, unlimited data, and this awesomely rooted piece of work called the HTC Thunderbolt. I love it.
    -SoDev
  14. #14  
    DJBeanPole's Avatar

    Posts
    871 Posts
    Global Posts
    978 Global Posts
    ROM
    LiquidICSv1.5 MR3V1 JMOD

    Default

    I was waiting on Bionic but after the news of the end of 1yr contracts I had to make a decision. I wasn't due for an upgrade til 4/24, and with 4/17 (today!) being the last viable 1yr day I thought to myself... well... That Bionic should be pretty future proof for a 2 year contract when it comes out. Then I called up VZW at the 'rec of a member here and asked if they could bump me up or do something and whattya know... got my BOLT Friday [and rooted in less than 24hrs lol]
  15. #15  
    Chrisy's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,327 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

    Default

    I got 12 hours from my stock battery. I think the poor battery life talk is more rumors than fact. I haven't had my phone drain in four hours since I got it.

    Having said that, I get 26 hours from my extended battery with moderate to heavy use.

    I was waiting for he Bionic at first too. But after i saw some YouTube videos of this phone I was sold!
  16. #16  

    Default Same here

    I got tired of waiting and moved from the OG Droid to the TB. With the Extended Battery I think this thing is no thicker and still lighter than the OG Droid.

    I have only had it a week but really like it.
  17. #17  
    mmontel's Avatar

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

    Default

    I love my TB. I can easily get 10 hrs of moderate use. When in my car or at my desk I can charge it. On days when I don't have access to charging I carry a spare battery which I have not needed yet. Enjoy your TB!
  18. #18  
    FrankXS's Avatar

    Posts
    3,148 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebDevAnalyst View Post
    ...I would have liked a dual core device with LTE
    There is nothing inherently wrong with a Dual Core, however, there is something inherently wrong with a Dual Core with only 512MB of RAM like the Bionic. It simply takes more RAM to keep the second core running to achieve the same results. Even if the Bionic had 768MB of RAM, like the ThunderBolt, it would still have less RAM for programs because some of that would be used to just keep the second core running. A phone would need at least 1GB of RAM with Dual Core before any Dual Core performance advance could be seen over the ThunderBolt. That 200+MB of Free RAM you see on your ThunderBolt would be ZERO on the Bionic. Not good. Those higher spec'd phones are coming, one day. But the Bionic is not one of 'em, IMO. But, I have to wonder where my ThunderBolt is lacking in performance. I haven't found anywhere, yet.

    -Frank
    Last edited by FrankXS; 04-17-2011 at 08:22 AM.
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
  19. #19  

    Default

    I am in the same boat. Was tired of playing the waiting game for the bionic. Pulled the tigger on the TB for 2 years. Have only had the phone for 24 hours now but it looks like I made the right choice.
  20. #20  

    Default

    I dont know what you saw in the Bionic reviews that made you go TB instead of it... I mean the TB is cool and all but..I dunno maybe its because I came from the Evo but I wouldve waited.
  21. #21  
    Chrisy's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,327 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
    I dont know what you saw in the Bionic reviews that made you go TB instead of it... I mean the TB is cool and all but..I dunno maybe its because I came from the Evo but I wouldve waited.
    He's referring to the news that the Bionic is cancelled
    Last edited by Chrisy; 04-17-2011 at 02:19 PM.
  22. #22  
    nyry's Avatar

    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    402 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

    Default

    If anyone has battery woes, check out my thread about it For Anyone with battery Complaints.. - Android Forums

    I LOVE my T bolt, its like having a laptop in my hand!
  23. #23  
    striders's Avatar

    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    DAS BAMF 1.6.3 LeanKernel

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPD View Post
    Best phone I've ever owned. You won't be disappointed. Battery is not nearly as bad as some say. I get 12 hours easy with moderate use.
    That with 4G OFF and NO push email?
  24. #24  

    Default

    I just picked mine up on Friday and am loving it so far. I went straight for the extended battery just to make sure I had no battery issues. After charging overnight Friday night, I unplugged it Saturday around 5am and its still got 50% battery at noon on Sunday. That was with a fair amount of use too and no attempts at battery conservation (screen still full auto, mail, facebook checking constantly, etc).... Plenty of juice for me!

    Edit: I do have 4G off....its a bit come and go in my house so it switches alot, so I guess did conserve a little battery
  25. #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    This ^^. I got one for a week just to play with it, and in an area where it's roaming on US Cellular at 1xrtt (2.5 G) I was getting well over a full day of HEAVY use. Heavy as in 3 email accounts and over 1000 emails a day, two twitter accounts, 3 news reader apps and all the normal things I do, syncing everything.

    I also got over 60 hours standby time out of it.

    The battery issues are all just LTE growing pains that you guinea pigs get to help fix. As a trade-off ya'll get grandfathered into an LTE unlimited plan and have the best device on Verizon (for now) to play with Buy a spare battery and a stand alone wall charger and never look back.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    There is nothing inherently wrong with a Dual Core, however, there is something inherently wrong with a Dual Core with only 512MB of RAM like the Bionic. It simply takes more RAM to keep the second core running to achieve the same results. Even if the Bionic had 768MB of RAM, like the ThunderBolt, it would still have less RAM for programs because some of that would be used to just keep the second core running. A phone would need at least 1GB of RAM with Dual Core before any Dual Core performance advance could be seen over the ThunderBolt. That 200+MB of Free RAM you see on your ThunderBolt would be ZERO on the Bionic. Not good. Those higher spec'd phones are coming, one day. But the Bionic is not one of 'em, IMO. But, I have to wonder where my ThunderBolt is lacking in performance. I haven't found anywhere, yet.

    -Frank
    I don't know what task killer or memory monitor your using, but I consistently have about 410-476 free unless I am running a ton of apps. Trying using System monitor. IMO it is the bet for memory, CPU, a.nd ba5try management.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B