[TB]Sense UI or 'other' launcher - Which one and Why?

HTC Sense UI or 'other' Launcher for ThunderBolt

• Total voters

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Are you using a different launcher or sticking with HTC Sense for your spiffy new ThunderBolt? Why?

I gave the new sense a fair shot for the first few days of owning this phone, I will say, that I like the Dialer, and calendar widget.... I have NOT rooted yet. So I am using ADW EX and love it.

Last edited:

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
im using sense. its my first android phone and htc device..sooo until I get bored of the stock setup ill keep it. its def nice though.

Reactions: ssethv

thunderclaps

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I use launcher pro plus, I've used it for almost a whole year. I think it's the best launcher on the market. It's got loads of customization options and the widgets that come with it are pretty slick, especially the calendar widget.

Sent from my Bolt

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Using stock Sense UI, mostly because its stable and the widgets. I might purchase Launcher Pro Plus in the future being it's started to get updated and adding themes to widgets.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have three launchers set up (Sense, ADW, and SPB Shell) and usually switch every week or whenever I get bored. I tend to change my icons and theme weekly too I just can't stop playing with my phone lol.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

dmarlow83

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been switching between stock sense and launcher pro plus, but to be honest I find the combo of LPP with Sense the best combo over all and have kind of settled on it. For whatever reason I seem to get a lot better battery life with LPP, and I like how it's facebook widget is a separate entity from twitter/friendstream ect., I don't like that all in one thing it's just to much spam. I feel the calendar widget is also better than stock sense, since I can add an event right from the calander widget with out having to go into it, the shortcuts right on the front screen. Also the sense calander is either the monthly over view or the daily schedule, where as LPP you can also toggle easily between them.

Another thing is the ability to have a great dock in LPP, I hate the stock sense dock, only having phone, apps and customize is really limiting and whoever thought of that was a moron. Honestly, once you have your phone setup right do you really need a dedicated unchangeable button for it?? Now I've got phone, people, apps, msg, and internet all on the dock, much much better!

Since I'm not rooted it's also nice to be able to hide apps in the app drawer that I don't use, not being constantly reminded of the bloatware allows me not to be as pissed off about the wasted space that is the two holes of "lets golf" blockbuster, bitbop and all that other vzw crap I'll never use...

I also like the fact that I can make custom icons and basically theme my own phone out, since I can completely alter the appearance of the dock, icons, wall paper, and the transparency via sense. When you set your skin for sense, the underlying appearance of the notification bar and the like carries over.

So I can keep a lot of the nice aspects of sense, and I really don't miss any of the widgets.

Hope this helps!

th0r615

god of thunder.
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I use Launcher Pro Plus. I used it on my Nexus One and when I switched to the 'Bolt I tired sense for about an hour and went back to Launcher Pro. To me its the smoothest,has the best widgets, and is very customizable... theres no reason not to use it.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I have three launchers set up (Sense, ADW, and SPB Shell) and usually switch every week or whenever I get bored. I tend to change my icons and theme weekly too I just can't stop playing with my phone lol.

What is your experience with SPB Shell? I have my eyes on it but I don't want to shell out $14 before making sure it's worth it.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using Sense. The Thunderbolt is my first smart phone, and I'd say I'm a pretty average user, so I don't even really know what, if any, benefit there is to using a different launcher, for an "average user".

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I just like the option to customize my homescreen and be able to have as few or as many homescreens as I choose, and to decide what my app buttons look like... it all comes down to personal choice i suppose :) even though "sense" has some good widgets and stuff, I still feel like I can personalize my phone even more with ADW EX (my personal favorite launcher)

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
One of the reasons I bought the TB is I wanted a true Sense device.

After flashing boatloads of ROMs on my N1 and using ADW EX and LPP, I fell in love with Sense ROMs. LPP and ADW EX always seem to use so much memory that they eventually start getting laggy and need to be restarted. They are always smooth as hell at first but like I said for me personally it always goes downhill eventually.. Sense is the first UI I have tried where the homescreen transitions don't ever hang or get laggy or jittery. I hate it when you exit an app or unlock the devcie and the homescreen is unresponsive, jittery or laggy for a few seconds.

I love the weather animations and the flip clock, the skins and scenes feature, the Twitter widget, the lock screen...the calender widget...heck I like most everything about Sense. If phone calls would vibrate when the party answers and hangs up, it would be almost perfect in my book.

Of course I do miss screen gestures and dock icon gestures for ADW and LPP, and a few other things, but for me Sense has come the closest to perfect for my needs. :) Well, until I get bored and buy yet another phone. :):)

AlpineM3#AC

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Love the Sense UI, but giving SPB Shell a quick run and pretty impressed so far. I know the 15$ price tag is a bit steep, but for those of us who really don't mind i'd say give it a try. It's pretty neat

Halcyon

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Im really enjoying the new Sense. I was a huge Launcher Pro fan back on my Fascinate (go figure) but the new Sense does everything I need it to do and does it smoothly.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Im really enjoying the new Sense. I was a huge Launcher Pro fan back on my Fascinate (go figure) but the new Sense does everything I need it to do and does it smoothly.
If Sense would just give us the OPTION to configure our bottom buttons the way we want them, I would prolly never leave sense.... That is my biggest complaint and the main reason I switch to do different launchers

Reactions: itsdollar

itsdollar

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I used Sense the first couple of weeks but I'm now using LauncherPro as my daily driver. I have the signals23 mods which have different themes and I'm not missing Sense like I thought I would. I like the minimal look better and with Sense you cannot remove that bottom dock.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I used Sense the first couple of weeks but I'm now using LauncherPro as my daily driver. I have the signals23 mods which have different themes and I'm not missing Sense like I thought I would. I like the minimal look better and with Sense you cannot remove that bottom dock.

That is pretty much my point exactly, if you could just customize that bottom dock I would be fine with htc sense. But on the other hand I still love the hardware for the most part and it's a pretty easy phone to root:)