Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Questions from a newbie...

This is my first Android phone and I have noticed that as soon as I kill unused apps they start right back up. With the battery life being what it is, how do you keep the apps like Mobile IM, or whatever from starting back up?

I went into Settings, applications, manage applications and some of these applications will not allow me to uninstall these apps.

Is there a way to remove these applications that come pre-installed applications?
    "I feel sorry for the people who do not drink... When they wake up in the morning, that is the best they are going to feel all day..." - Frank Sinatra

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Don't kill the apps. You just keep your battery in good shape, and Android will keep the memory managed. Really. App killers are a no-no in Adroid Froyo.

Some apps that came preinstalled (most) will not allow uninstalling without root. Just make sure they are not auto-syncing and you should be fine.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
    Thanked by:
    obidos 

ROM
    Stock/Franco

Force close and task killers= NO NO on android os 2.2+! Android manages your applications. it will close applications that it learns(yes android learns your usage patterns) you dont use or are not being used anymore. if you manually close and app (force close) and it is needed to run it will open back up causing more power use. the app thats "running" might not be using any mem therefore its not using any power. just let android manage your apps. force closing does more harm then good.

as for mobile IM thats built into the phone. you can not remove it unless you root your device.

Edit: Frank always beating me on the write ups :P <3
    Last edited by Edwill86; 04-17-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    Devices: Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7
    Thanked by:
    obidos 

Frank's statements are correct... App killers are a no-no... and killing those apps will only use up more battery life than leaving it alone.

And rooting is the only way to accomplish removing those apps... which could cause issues when the next OTA comes out... recommend you read some Rooting information at the top of this Forum.

Yea like Frank says just manage the battery. The only thing I have done is turned off my auto-synch, set my screen brightness to 40% (some say lower), no live wallpapers, turn off the haptic(vibration) feedback when you type, stuff like that. App killers actually kill the battery cause they are continuosly running in the background. I basically have my phone set to update things like weather and mail whenever I go into those particular apps. I get to work at 7:30am and can go all day with moderate usage and get home around 5:30pm with about 30% battery left. If I navigate I use the car charger, etc., etc. Remember also that this phone can multitask so if you turn on navigator and hit the home button navigator will go away on the screen but is still working inthe background so you have to actually exit the app.
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Lots of apps cannot be removed without root. Those same apps also cannot be shut down. But them sitting idle(wasting ram) doesn't really eat battery, it just irritates people like me.