Keyboards

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So I was a little disappointed when I picked up my TB and found out that it did not have Swype pre-installed on the phone. This is only a minor issue that I have with the phone, otherwise I am in love with my Thunderbolt!

I just wanted to see what others use as their keyboards on the TB. I use Smart Keyboard Pro and SlideIt Pro. I love Smart Keyboard Pro for the skins you can install and how it is pretty good with multi-touch but again I love Swype, and the beta version doesn't work great (or look good) on the TB. SlideIt pro works pretty good with its minor faults, but its a good alternative to Swype until an official version is released for the TB. I have used SwiftKeys but I just can't seem to get the hang of it, maybe I am just impatient lol.

So any opinions on what everyone else is using?

Bailarge

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm a SwiftKey guy myself. I chose that one mainly because Amazon had it for free one day. Haven't turned away from it since. I like it alot, and it really does a great job of predicting. Obviously it has its moments where you send something without looking and your sentence doesn't make sense, but that'll happen.

SPD

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I love the Gingerbread keyboard. You can get the swype apk for the evo which which works great on the TB unlike the beta version. There's a link floating around somewhere.

Accrete

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
OK i've read, re-read, and i'm still stumped. (my apologies, i'm totally new to adnroid from WinMobile6)

I have downloaded both swiftkey trial and also swype (as listed above). Both installed fine and i can go through the tutorials. I can select them one at a time in settings "Language & Keyboards". . . BUT, when i go into any area that i would type (new message, new email, new event in calendar) i still only get the HTC standard "Touch Input" keyboard. What am i missing.

thx in advance.

====ok I kept reading the forum and found my answer at this post!
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-thunderbolt/69921-help-how-do-i-thread-9.html#post757276

so for any who may have the same Q here is the quote:
Regarding a different keyboard, I am a big fan of SwiftKey. I had it on my OG Droid and now on the Thunderbolt. It saves me a ton of typing.

Oh and if you try it, you will need to know how to switch keyboards which is not as obvious as it should be. Once installed, you have to long press on a text entry field (in an email or text etc). You will see a popup that says Input Method. Click on that and you can select your default keyboard.

Last edited:

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I am using Swiftkey, excellent keyboard, learns VERY fast. I am running the most recent Beta build and it is working great!

Accrete

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
question on security of add on keyboard aps. Both swype and swiftkey installs had the pop up warning dialog about the apps ?may? (don't remember the exact text) track all your keystrokes and such... anything we need to worry about ?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
question on security of add on keyboard aps. Both swype and swiftkey installs had the pop up warning dialog about the apps ?may? (don't remember the exact text) track all your keystrokes and such... anything we need to worry about ?

I'm sure this may very from app to app, but Swype did say on their website they do not collect your keystrokes... google swype and check it out on their website, or any other keyboard app maker's website.

Reactions: Accrete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21