Newbie - Windows Live Contacts & Calendar

Dengraham

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
We just both two TBs. We both use Windows Live Mail. The mail comes through but no contacts or calendar??? How do I sync the Windows Live Contacts and Calendar?
Thanks for understanding that I am coming form a dumb phone and she is coming from an iphone.
>> Dennis:):)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
We just both two TBs. We both use Windows Live Mail. The mail comes through but no contacts or calendar??? How do I sync the Windows Live Contacts and Calendar?
Thanks for understanding that I am coming form a dumb phone and she is coming from an iphone.
>> Dennis:):)
I'm not sure Windows Live Mail is one of the supported syncing or import/export email programs. I don't believe it is. Having said that...

What kind of email account do you have? POP? IMAP? This may affect where your contacts or calendar is stored (i.e. mail server or local PC).

One important thing to understand about Windows Live Mail is that by default it stores your contacts and calendar on your local PC. Your mail, of course, comes from whatever mail server you are using and may still be there depending on how you have configured Windows Live Mail.

Anyway... I just took a look at my test install of Windows Live Mail, and here's how I would approach this...

1) Go to your Contacts in WLM and select EXPORT. Export the file to a ".CSV" format file on your PC.

2) Hook up your TBolt via the USB data cable and copy your Contact.csv file from the PC to your SD card on the TBolt. Unplug.

3) On the TBolt, Menu | All Apps | People | Menu | Import/Export | Import From SD Card | Select the account (note: I would recommend NOT to select Phone, select Google or the name of your email account - Google is advised for future auto-syncing). Complete the import. This should take care of your contacts.

I don't know of any way to bring over the WLM calendar. I looked and didn't see any way to export it.

After the dust settles (i.e. you get your contacts into the TBolt under your mail account, or Google), I would recreate the Calendar on your Google Gmail account (the one you are forced to have for Market purposes) and I would also make sure my contacts are on Google/Gmail. The on-line Google/Gmail has very very good import/export functions. Then, I would always use the phone auto-sync to keep my calendar and contacts up to date via the customary Google/Gmail method.

As for WLM, I would, occasionally, manually export my contacts from the on-line Google/Gmail account via my PC and import it into WLM on the PC. WLM appears not to have any way to sync an external calendar or import/export one. So... you need to move away from WLM for your calendar, IMHO.

-Frank

Last edited:

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have never used WindowsLive Mail or Calendar. Are you able to sync them with Outlook? If so, you can probably just use one of the programs that allows you to sync Outlook with Google (something like gSyncit).

Dengraham

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the replies. My spouse found Windows Live under Exchange ActiveSync. Everything then is automatically done. Perfect!
>> Dennis

lolob2b

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the replies. My spouse found Windows Live under Exchange ActiveSync. Everything then is automatically done. Perfect!
>> Dennis

Sure it works, but i am not confident in Microsoft to keep all my contacts online ! Then i am not able to provide Active Sync with local settings to get it working locally.