1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Default How does newbie to Verizon get a better retail deal on TB?

I have never had cell phones with Verizon and am looking to jump on the band wagon for 2 TB and the 1400 Minute Family Plan along w/ unlimited Data. Since I want to make sure that I like the phone I want to buy it in-store since I have 10 days to try it out and make sure that I like it (currently have Tmobile w/ BB 8900).

I have seen some great deals posted for $125 on Wirefly and $149 on Amazon but am going to buy it from Verizon store.

Is there anyway that I can get them to lower the price or price match a competitor's website? I am new to Verizon so need ammunition if it exists.

My understanding is that I would be paying $249 + tax for each phone at Verizon vs no tax at a Wirefly/Amazon....

Any input/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony

The only real way to get a better price at a verizon store is if you work for a company that gives you an employee discount with verizon. I got my Thunderbolt for $229 on a 1 year contract form verizon because of my employer. 2 year contract price would have ben $200.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Unfortunately neither myself nor my spouse don't have access to a corporate discount.

Any other ideas?

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts

If you're in no rush to get the TB, wait a few weeks and see if Costco gets it, assuming you're a Costco member. I was told they(Costco) have to wait at least 40 days from release for the Best Buy exclusivity to expire.

They give you a 90-day policy if the phone has issues. I think you might still be stuck with Verizon after the 14 days but you have a longer period to make sure you like that specific phone.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Costco usually sells it a little cheaper than a corporate store and they'll give you some extra goodies like a hands-free headset(wired), case and car charger...something like that.
    Last edited by socal; 04-20-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Update
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

My birthday is Friday so I am going to pull the trigger shortly....Also the same day my Tmobile contract expires...

I really don't see any reason you'd want to spend $100 more per phone and go through the local store. Buy the phones through Amazon. They have a 30 day return policy instead of 14 and they're generally more lax about returns than any other business anyway. Save yourself $200 and just go through Amazon. I did, and I have no regrets.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

The best deals have been mentioned already. If you are looking for something quick and easy without much work on your part, amazon will probably give you the best deal. Best buy may match it though but I don't know for sure.

Another option which may work (no guarantee) is to call up verizon and ask for the sales department. Since you are planning on getting a decent sized family plan, they may work with you on the TBolt prices. Especially if you are willing to sign a 2 year contract on that family plan. Here is why:

1400 minute family plan ($89.99) + 2 data packages ($60) = $149.99 X 24 months (2 year contract) = $3599.76

$3599.76 (total bill after 2 years)
    -$1199.98 (cost of 2 thunderbolts at full cost)
    -----------
    = $2399.78 (Verizon's profit)

Like I said, this is not a guaranteed option. Since I do work for a inbound sales company, the general theory is the more you buy the more likely they will work with you on the upfront cost.

Good luck dude

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    The best deals have been mentioned already. If you are looking for something quick and easy without much work on your part, amazon will probably give you the best deal. Best buy may match it though but I don't know for sure.

Another option which may work (no guarantee) is to call up verizon and ask for the sales department. Since you are planning on getting a decent sized family plan, they may work with you on the TBolt prices. Especially if you are willing to sign a 2 year contract on that family plan. Here is why:

1400 minute family plan ($89.99) + 2 data packages ($60) = $149.99 X 24 months (2 year contract) = $3599.76

$3599.76 (total bill after 2 years)
    -$1199.98 (cost of 2 thunderbolts at full cost)
    -----------
    = $2399.78 (Verizon's profit)

Like I said, this is not a guaranteed option. Since I do work for a inbound sales company, the general theory is the more you buy the more likely they will work with you on the upfront cost.

Good luck dude
    You realize though that $2399.78 is not actually PROFIT. There is operating expenses; infrastructure costs; employee payroll; etc. that VZW has to incur. No doubt it will still be a profit.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

My wife still has her .edu email address where you used to work part-time. When I typed it into verizon's website, it offered her an 18% discount. Please note: she no longer works there but has access to her email address.

My question is:

If I buy the phone/plan from amazon/wirefly, can I still get the 18% discount on the plan?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

Quote Originally Posted by urdaddi View Post
    You realize though that $2399.78 is not actually PROFIT. There is operating expenses; infrastructure costs; employee payroll; etc. that VZW has to incur. No doubt it will still be a profit.
    I understand that. I meant what they would receive from the customer if you deducted the device costs.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

if you buy it on Verizon's web site (online) you dont have to pay sales tax...

Quote Originally Posted by atwnsw View Post
    My wife still has her .edu email address where you used to work part-time. When I typed it into verizon's website, it offered her an 18% discount. Please note: she no longer works there but has access to her email address.

My question is:

If I buy the phone/plan from amazon/wirefly, can I still get the 18% discount on the plan?
    Yes, assuming the email is accepted by Verizon as a valid email. Verizon's discount on plans is not related to any phone that may be on the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony2558 View Post
    if you buy it on Verizon's web site (online) you dont have to pay sales tax...
    I just bought the phone through the verizon website, and I indeed paid sales tax.
    By the beard of Zeus!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

Quote Originally Posted by kristykat182 View Post
    I just bought the phone through the verizon website, and I indeed paid sales tax.
    What state do you live in? I know new york hits you with every charge they can.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock

my wife and i pulled the trigger at a portland oregon vzw store. got 2 tbolts at corp discount at $200 each. also purchased two extended batteries for the heck of it. We are on the oregon coast so in 3g till ~2013. The way i look at it is just about the time we might think about a new phone (i've had my win mob 6 and still love the thing, since 2007) the 4g will wow us on the Tbolt and it will feel like a new phone again.

good luck on your purchase.
    HTC Thunderbolt

Global Posts
    469 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kristykat182 View Post
    Of course you will Have to pay tax anywhere Verizon has a physical presence.

Ok, to answer your question.. No

VZW stores will not be willing to discount the phone... and just go ahead and go in there with a Tbolt that you purchased from Amazon, or wirefly.

You could try a premium retailer, some are willing to price match, especially for activations.

Who ever said to buy the phones at full retail is lacking some serious brain cells. You have 14 days which is more than enough time to decide whether or not you like the phone, and the service.

If it were me, I would go month to month with TMobile and let the rest of the line up of devices come out, but i can understand your wanting to do it now.
    Verizon Wireless Sales NE-WBV
    Motorola Droid Pro (all work)
    Samsung Fascinate (All play)
    Rooted:
    Dj05 w/Dj05 SuperDark, ran with StupidFast 12.19.10
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I finally pulled the trigger. Thank you.

I called Verizon wireless and mentioned that they had a $100 promotion flyer and asked for the discount. Was told by salesperson that any discount would have to be approved by mgr. Spoke to mgr who started to slam amazon.com and wirefly.com I said that I only cared to know what verizon would do to match. He said that there was nothing they could do.

I said thank you and was prepared to hang up. He then offered a $50 discount per phone to $199 + No Activation Fee for each phone.

Sold.

a corporate discount only covers the person's main line. secondary lines don't get the discount.

Being new to Verizon you will have to pay activation fees per line.........COSCO doesn't charge the activation fees. The company is Wireless Advocates. I used to work for them.
    35.00 for the primary line, 25.00 for the secondary lines, so that is a savings. You would be smart to hold off for COSCO if you can wait that long to see if they get the TB, otherwise, check Amazon or Wirefly liked suggested earlier. Verizon is not going to cut a deal.......maybe customer care will if you are NICE when you call them. But they have guidelines to follow too.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

I have never had cell phones with Verizon and am looking to jump on the band wagon for 2 TB and the 1400 Minute Family Plan along w/ unlimited Data. Since I want to make sure that I like the phone I want to buy it in-store since I have 10 days to try it out and make sure that I like it (currently have Tmobile w/ BB 8900).

I have seen some great deals posted for $125 on Wirefly and $149 on Amazon but am going to buy it from Verizon store.

Is there anyway that I can get them to lower the price or price match a competitor's website? I am new to Verizon so need ammunition if it exists.

My understanding is that I would be paying $249 + tax for each phone at Verizon vs no tax at a Wirefly/Amazon....

Any input/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony
    I have bought and returned many phones from Wirefly. Great price, fast service and easy to return + 30 day trial vs. 14 at Verizon.

ROM
    stock

I went to a Verizon Wireless retailer, not a corporate store, the Saturday after launch day and just asked the manager if he could do any better on the TBolt's price. It's my personal phone so I didn't have a corporate discount or anything.
    I think he was trying to set a sales record for his store or something because he didn't put up a fight, he just said "OK, $199 but today only". So of course I bought it right then.

I've personally seen the impatience from places like Walmart, Costco, Bestbuy, etc. I can't tell you how many f-ups of theirs that I've had to address for a customer.
    Verizon Wireless Sales NE-WBV
    Motorola Droid Pro (all work)
    Samsung Fascinate (All play)
    Rooted:
    Dj05 w/Dj05 SuperDark, ran with StupidFast 12.19.10

Global Posts
    1,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I guess there is one benefit from living in NJ. You dont have to pay sales tax when you buy somethings online unless the item is being shipped or bought from a store in NJ

FYI....

Went to fatwallet and signed in (free) and joined the case back plan.
    Then sign in to Fatwallet, search thunderbolt cash back, you will get wirefly.
    They offer a 50 off coupon for a net price of $150. the window (link shows a cashback from Fatwallet of $25). Took some screen shots, went to Bestbuy and they matched the price....(I just said the cashback was an additional discount, which it is, but did not indicate the wait period). BB sold me the phone for $125 plus tax, which they were going to match, but I didn't push it. Signed up as a new account (was an old Alltel customer so I had no official contract with Verizon) so no activation charges or anything....
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

My question is:

You do realize this would be fraud right? If she no longer works there then she is no longer eligible for the benefits of working there. Plain and simple.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison