Does anyone have any viable evidence of the OTA update?

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I installed it last night.
At this time in the morning, I should be around 60-70% battery. I have 82% now.
I am on the edge of the 4G area and my phone goes to 3G or 1X or none at all.
So far this morning I have had a solid 3G

Reactions: FrankXS and lovy

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I installed it last night.
At this time in the morning, I should be around 60-70% battery. I have 82% now.
I am on the edge of the 4G area and my phone goes to 3G or 1X or none at all.
So far this morning I have had a solid 3G
Thank you for that "man on the street" report! :D

'Course, you're prolly not old enough to know about "man on the street". That was a skit on, who... I forgot... was it Steve Allen or Johny Carson? :D :D

-Frank

Nate1861

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I installed it last night. GPS locks on pretty quickly now. Battery life seems improved somewhat, no quantitative numbers as I use my phone very sporadically and don't have a set percent I end up at through daily use. I lost 3G on my way to work, but I think it may be a tower issue as my Droid X lost data in the same spot. Will update with my have feedback later on today.

Update, lost 3G while sitting in my office multiple times today.

Last edited:

Xharakov

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I really don't have any problems with the battery now that it's conditioned, but then again I don't have 4G where I live either.
I'm just looking forward to all the other fixes, like the video camera sound issue, and other bugs and annoyances :-\

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site

'Course, you're prolly not old enough to know about "man on the street". That was a skit on, who... I forgot... was it Steve Allen or Johny Carson? :D :D

-Frank

I do remember the man on the street. We old F#%ts need to stick together:cool:

fdisker

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I installed the update today as well. Being a noob on the platform I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the install was. Only took me about an hour to get my phone back to where it was config-wise. Hard to say if battery and/or radio is better. It will take me a few days to judge the battery and I've not had a single problem with the radio as I live in a strong 4G area.

I will add that my phone feels quicker after the flash. Not sure if it's due to things being wiped or from possible code improvements. One of the annoyances that's now gone is coming out of a text message too quickly and the new message notification not going away from inside the message app. That problem no longer exists for me.

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
so what am I doing wrong ?

Ok. So I check for new updates and it says "no new updates" and you guys are talking about your updates. So what am I doing wrong.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The update we're talking about has not been officially released. it's available on various message boards, but you have to install it manually using hboot (it doesn't work using CWM).

If that last sentence doesn't make any sense to you, then I suggest you do some homework first. I'd start here http://forum.androidcentral.com/thu...ocedure-how-root-thunderbolt-adb-windows.html .and ask questions if there's anything you don't understand. Make sure you're clear on the pros/cons of rooting, and running unreleased/customized firmware before you start playing :)

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
look here:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/78028-ruu-4-18-2011-new-rom-radio-1-16-00-402-fixes.html

I haven't done it. I'm new to the Android experience so I'm a little hesitant to start messing with the code on my $$$ phone.

Anyone who has obidos as their username can handle rooting and/or flashing firmware. Very nice.

In truth, there's only a few points where you can really brick your phone. if you've done any command line programming in any unix flavor, it's all pretty straightforward.

What I've found with the TBolt, FWIW, is that the stock firmware and kernels provide a good performance/stability balance. The newest firmware definitely helps wifi to 4G transitions, and may help with GPS and battery life. The real advantage to rooting is the ability to debloat the phone - get rid of the VZW installed applications that you don't want, and sometimes run in the background and suck resources (hello, Blockbuster!).

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually, there's a rooting procedure for the Mac. There aren't any one-click methods yet...the problem is that the current root method exploits a hole in a pre-release firmware. So, the basic procedure is to gain temporary root by pushing a custom boot image, loading old firmware, getting permanent root, and then upgrading to the latest firmware. Lots of ADB work and reboots, none of which lend themselves to a one-click solution...

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

-Frank

Steve Allen. I know cause I am older than dirt. Louie Nye was the Man on the Street. Always started the bit with "hi ho Steverino". Died in 2005 age 92. More than anybody wants to know.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908