Night Time Sound Notification settings

TARIGAND

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Hello all.

I took the plung into the Android/Thunderbolt world yesterday and got rid of my ever so aging BB Storm.

I am a noob here and I've been looking for a way to create a "Sound Set" that will only play sound for a phone call and text at night. Now if you go into a "Sound Set" you see:

Ringtone
Alarm
Notification
Calendar

Is there a way to lets say just "Mute" - Notification, Email, Calendar? for a "Night time" sound set?

Please keep in mind that I am coming from a Blackberry and that you can edit "Sound Profiles" so you get a notification for whatever you want.

Sidenote: I AM LOVING THIS PHONE. I am still in the midsts of customizing and wow there are so many different options to go w/

Thanks for your help.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I've used "Silent Time" in the past, but recently switched to Timeriffic... I can schedule numerous changes to my profile for different times of the day and day of the week... it's worth checking out.

Reactions: kcoan3

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I use an app called AudioManager Pro ($1.99 from the Market). I created a profile called "Phone Only" and eveything else is silient. You can create all kinds modified profiles, and switching is easy via the widget.

However, I don't think it's possible to separate email and SMS alerts on Android, since they share the same alert/notification.

I came from a Blackberry as well, and miss the customization that it allowed for notifications. :\

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You can make the SMS "silent if in vibrate"...there's a setting in it...You can put the phone on vibrate...and don't set calendar appointments for hours when you're asleep or they will vibrate.

kcoan3

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
timeriffic is GREAT!!! I use it every day because i get tons of emails at 12 midnight and its annoying if im trying to sleep.

scassel

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
+1 for timeriffic. As you can see in my signature, I come from a long line of BB's. I missed that function terribly when I first made the switch. Timeriffic is free, very customizable and solves the problem.

Good luck.

dutchbrown

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Most of the individual apps that have those notifications have settings in which it changes notifications during "non-peak time". Just open the app (messaging, Touchdown, whatever) and click "menu->settings" and dig around. Also, under "sounds" there may be parts too, can't remember exactly. But I do know that I don't any notification beeps from 12-7:30 due to the various settings.

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I just turn off Wifi and Cell data via a widget when I go to sleep (and since I use Google Voice for text messages that turns off my texts as well). Only noises I get are for phone calls and my alarm.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I just turn off Wifi and Cell data via a widget when I go to sleep (and since I use Google Voice for text messages that turns off my texts as well). Only noises I get are for phone calls and my alarm.

You don't have to turn off Wifi or Data... and you don't have to remember to unlock your phone and press a Widget to do any of the changes the OP wanted.

Apps like Timeriffic can turn on or off things like Ringer, Vibrate, Wifi, Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, and it can make changes to Ring Volume, System Volume, Alarm Volume, Screen Brightness... and do all that at specific times of the day or day of the week.

But if you want to have to open your device every night and every morning to press your Widget on or off... more power to you.

djcyph

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I use an app called AudioManager Pro ($1.99 from the Market). I created a profile called "Phone Only" and eveything else is silient. You can create all kinds modified profiles, and switching is easy via the widget.

However, I don't think it's possible to separate email and SMS alerts on Android, since they share the same alert/notification.

I came from a Blackberry as well, and miss the customization that it allowed for notifications. :\

do u use gmail app? u can make different notification sound with it...also other apps, like handcent for sms, can customize notification for specific people if u want

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to turn off Wifi or Data... and you don't have to remember to unlock your phone and press a Widget to do any of the changes the OP wanted.

Apps like Timeriffic can turn on or off things like Ringer, Vibrate, Wifi, Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, and it can make changes to Ring Volume, System Volume, Alarm Volume, Screen Brightness... and do all that at specific times of the day or day of the week.

But if you want to have to open your device every night and every morning to press your Widget on or off... more power to you.

I guess it is a bit annoying now that I think about it. i'll check one of those out. Thanks.

brassfrog

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
E-mail notifications got so intrusive my wife threatened to move to the spare bedroom. I was used to my various Blackberries which went into "sleep mode" when plugged into the power cord. In sleep mode phone calls would ring but there was no sound from calendar events or e-mails.

Can't figure out how to do this with the Android controls on my Thunderbolt. Going to try out the Timeriffic ap; seems pretty easy to get it to do what I want. The only thing I can't figure out what "system volume" is and how it affects ringer, notification, media and alarm volume.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello all.

I took the plung into the Android/Thunderbolt world yesterday and got rid of my ever so aging BB Storm.

I am a noob here and I've been looking for a way to create a "Sound Set" that will only play sound for a phone call and text at night. Now if you go into a "Sound Set" you see:

Ringtone
Alarm
Notification
Calendar

Is there a way to lets say just "Mute" - Notification, Email, Calendar? for a "Night time" sound set?

Please keep in mind that I am coming from a Blackberry and that you can edit "Sound Profiles" so you get a notification for whatever you want.

Sidenote: I AM LOVING THIS PHONE. I am still in the midsts of customizing and wow there are so many different options to go w/

Thanks for your help.

I have been using Audioguru...available for free in the market. Lets me pick different settings based on time of day and work, sleep, normal, etc.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Can't figure out how to do this with the Android controls on my Thunderbolt. Going to try out the Timeriffic ap; seems pretty easy to get it to do what I want. The only thing I can't figure out what "system volume" is and how it affects ringer, notification, media and alarm volume.

Personally, I don't mess with System Volume... if I put my device in Mute for Ringer, and No Vibrate it works perfect at night. Generally, I do nothing with System volume or anything else that is working just fine.

Reactions: brassfrog

brassfrog

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
E-mail notifications got so intrusive my wife threatened to move to the spare bedroom. I was used to my various Blackberries which went into "sleep mode" when plugged into the power cord. In sleep mode phone calls would ring but there was no sound from calendar events or e-mails.

Well, I tried out Timeriffic. It seemed to be OK, I didn't get any notifications at night even though I did get e-mails. But I guess it's not as easy to set as I thought because when it came time to turn notifications back on, they didn't. And when i went to sound profile to check, I could get no sound; everything was turned off, apparently.

So I'm going to try another of the recommended programs, maybe Silenttime.

Cheers,

Chuck

brassfrog

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I don't mess with System Volume... if I put my device in Mute for Ringer, and No Vibrate it works perfect at night. Generally, I do nothing with System volume or anything else that is working just fine.
I would love to just put it in vibrate for the night, but I DO want to get any phone calls that come in so that won't work for me.

brodrick

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I use a program called Locale. It's not cheap at $10, but it not only lets me set time of day ringtones, volume, etc. I have different settings for weekends than weekdays. You can adjust ringers and notifications serparately.

The beauty is, it's not limited to just time based settings. It also lets you do it based on location. For example, when I get to Church, it knows based on GPS, and/or WIFI hotspots where I am, and I can tell it to turn vibrate on, volume all the way down, screen brightness to 0. When I leave, it will set it back to default.
You can change ringtones based on time or location as well. I like a nice loud ringtone while driving down the highway, but a more subtle one while at home or office. It adjusts WIFI and Bluetooth settings as well for power savings.

It's probably my favorite app.

Tom

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie