How will we know? OTA updates

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So... How will we know when the OTA update comes along? How will we know when we've been updated?

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
They might push it but even if they don't I and I'm sure other nerds out there are checking for updates daily and will part as soon as it's out.

-stock HTC Thunderbolt tapatalk

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
For those of us who are rooted, are we going to lose the root if we get the update OTA?

Most likely yes. Root could also screw up the update like it seems to be doing for so e Fasci ate users. You can't always know ahead of time. Titanium Backup is your friend. Just in case.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Your phone will announce an update is available. Our can update then or wait.
If you check out these forums you will be before it hits your phone
Thanks. I guess that is the main thing I wanted to know, if we'd get some sort of preliminary message or option as to when or if we wanted to conduct this update.

-Frank

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Make sure to go to phone settings and turn on updates under phone settings HTC updates to enable the phone to check for updates automatically. This will only tell you an update is available it wont update without your permission

scottadusa

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Settings?

there is no update htc update settings.

I looked everyone in my thunderbolt. There is option to check for an update.

But i do not see anywhere to turn on a notification of an update.

I think that guy before me is thinking of another phone

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
there is no update htc update settings.

I looked everyone in my thunderbolt. There is option to check for an update.

But i do not see anywhere to turn on a notification of an update.

I think that guy before me is thinking of another phone

No that's what I am talking about if you don't check the box it wont look for updates. If it finds one it will alert you.

Reactions: boobie1292

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Make sure to go to phone settings and turn on updates under phone settings HTC updates to enable the phone to check for updates automatically. This will only tell you an update is available it wont update without your permission

There is no option as you describe. There is a "check new" which isn't something you "check that box" but rather you push it to go out and check for an update at that very moment. The phone will check for updates on its own without any setting you have to enable.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I can't seem to find that setting... can you walk me through it?

-Frank

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No that's what I am talking about if you don't check the box it wont look for updates. If it finds one it will alert you.

I kind of mis-read your post too. I was thinking you were referring to notification over checking for updates. Thanks for the clarification.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I can't seem to find that setting... can you walk me through it?

-Frank

You can't really set this phone to notify you when there is an update. You are able to check to see if there updates available though. If you go to settings>software update>check new the phone will check to see if there are any updates.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
You can't really set this phone to notify you when there is an update. You are able to check to see if there updates available though. If you go to settings>software update>check new the phone will check to see if there are any updates.
I want to know before it starts the update. If I need to use the phone at that moment I want to delay the update. Everyone says these OTA updates are "automacally pushed out OTA". Well, are they?

-Frank

Nate1861

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
You will get a notification via the bar at the top of the phone saying there is an update. It will not update your phone without you telling it to in advance. No worries about that.

Reactions: FrankXS