Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Upgrade scenario with Amazon

    I have an odd scenario that im sure someone else has been in, and im trying to find out my options.

    I was previously an ATT customer, and in January, i switched my phones to Verizon. My wife and i both got new Droid Incredible phones through amazon with a new family plan in middle of January. They were only a penny each, so it was a tough deal to pass up, but i knew i wanted to get the thunderbolt when it came out.

    When we started service, we knew we would be adding a line around May/June timeframe for my daughter. I am planning on buying her a used basic phone to use on the new line, with no data plan. She only needs it for texting and calls, so i don't need anything fancy. I want to use the discount for the new line to get myself a thunderbolt at the Upgrade price. I am planning to sell my incredible on ebay to cover most of the cost of the new thunderbolt (after the upgrade/new line discount). I will then put the new thunderbolt on my existing number. When i initiated service, verizon verified that i would be able to do this... possibly with help from the store, but that it is definately a viable scenario.

    A few questions:

    Amazon doesn't currently allow adding a new line to a family plan, so can i add the line with verizon without purchasing a phone, and then use the new line discount with amazon, or wirefly as an upgrade on that new line?

    If i have to, i will purchase the phone via verizon to avoid issues, but will verizon allow me to purchase the thunderbolt with the discount from the new line, without adding a data plan on the new line, since i will be using that phone on an existing line only?

    By basically switching out my incredible for the thunderbolt on my line, will that void the agreement i made with amazon when i purchased it for a penny in january? I am not terminating any service, and am keeping my existing lines active, and keeping the existing data plans active on the two original lines. This is not the primary line on the account. It is the secondary line, so nothing will change on the primary line. All i want to do is add a line, use that new line's discount to replace my incredible with a thunderbolt, and use an old verizon phone on the new line i added for my daughter.


    My Plan i want to make happen -

    currently:
    Me - droid incredible with data plan (from amazon)
    wife - droid incredible with data plan (from amazon)

    After:
    me - htc thunderbolt with data plan
    wife- droid incredible with data plan
    daughter - random used phone from ebay with no data plan
  2. #2  

    Default Easiest Solution

    loyolacs, this will be the best solution:

    1. Purchase the used phone for your daughter first.
    2. Go to a Verizon store and add your new line of service for your daughter using the used phone. By doing this, you will not be signing her line into a 2 year agreement and will have an available upgrade on your plan.
    3. Use her available upgrade to purchase your Thunderbolt (called an Alternate Upgrade). You will sign a 2 year contract on her line, but you will be able to activate the phone on your line. This will not change the contract or upgrade date on your line at all.

    As a former VZW employee...this is your best option.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    So with the scenario you suggested, is it possible to use Amazon, or Wirefly to purchase the thunderbolt and still use the new line's upgrade?
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemieuxfan67 View Post
    loyolacs, this will be the best solution:

    1. Purchase the used phone for your daughter first.
    2. Go to a Verizon store and add your new line of service for your daughter using the used phone. By doing this, you will not be signing her line into a 2 year agreement and will have an available upgrade on your plan.
    3. Use her available upgrade to purchase your Thunderbolt (called an Alternate Upgrade). You will sign a 2 year contract on her line, but you will be able to activate the phone on your line. This will not change the contract or upgrade date on your line at all.

    As a former VZW employee...this is your best option.
    And how is he going to get by the data plan on his daughters line? If he upgrades his daughters line to a Thunderbolt he is going to have to keep data on that line for two years and he's already in a contract for data on his other two lines so he will have to keep data on all three lines.
  5. #5  
    Edwill86's Avatar

    Posts
    1,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Franco

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
    And how is he going to get by the data plan on his daughters line? If he upgrades his daughters line to a Thunderbolt he is going to have to keep data on that line for two years and he's already in a contract for data on his other two lines so he will have to keep data on all three lines.
    No!

    Add the new line as a basic line. no data just what you want.
    with the used off contact dumb phone in hand activate it to the new basic line.
    Now you have an upgrade for that line.
    you can transfer and use that upgrade on any line on your account.

    *you can transfer the upgrade online (myverizon.com) to your number so Amazon will allow you to use it on their system for your number.
    hope this works out for you.
    Devices: Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7
  6. #6  
    brandonx1000's Avatar
    rule the air.

    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,120 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loyolacs View Post
    I have an odd scenario that im sure someone else has been in, and im trying to find out my options.

    I was previously an ATT customer, and in January, i switched my phones to Verizon. My wife and i both got new Droid Incredible phones through amazon with a new family plan in middle of January. They were only a penny each, so it was a tough deal to pass up, but i knew i wanted to get the thunderbolt when it came out.

    When we started service, we knew we would be adding a line around May/June timeframe for my daughter. I am planning on buying her a used basic phone to use on the new line, with no data plan. She only needs it for texting and calls, so i don't need anything fancy. I want to use the discount for the new line to get myself a thunderbolt at the Upgrade price. I am planning to sell my incredible on ebay to cover most of the cost of the new thunderbolt (after the upgrade/new line discount). I will then put the new thunderbolt on my existing number. When i initiated service, verizon verified that i would be able to do this... possibly with help from the store, but that it is definately a viable scenario.

    A few questions:

    Amazon doesn't currently allow adding a new line to a family plan, so can i add the line with verizon without purchasing a phone, and then use the new line discount with amazon, or wirefly as an upgrade on that new line?

    If i have to, i will purchase the phone via verizon to avoid issues, but will verizon allow me to purchase the thunderbolt with the discount from the new line, without adding a data plan on the new line, since i will be using that phone on an existing line only?

    By basically switching out my incredible for the thunderbolt on my line, will that void the agreement i made with amazon when i purchased it for a penny in january? I am not terminating any service, and am keeping my existing lines active, and keeping the existing data plans active on the two original lines. This is not the primary line on the account. It is the secondary line, so nothing will change on the primary line. All i want to do is add a line, use that new line's discount to replace my incredible with a thunderbolt, and use an old verizon phone on the new line i added for my daughter.


    My Plan i want to make happen -

    currently:
    Me - droid incredible with data plan (from amazon)
    wife - droid incredible with data plan (from amazon)

    After:
    me - htc thunderbolt with data plan
    wife- droid incredible with data plan
    daughter - random used phone from ebay with no data plan
    if you buy a phone through amazon, and take it off the number you bought it for within 6 months (181 days), you will be charged the full retail cost of the device.

    read up on the contract you sign via amazon...i work for verizon wireless, and trust me, i've seen people come in and complain to us. yes the phones are cheaper through them, but they have a very strict policy on their contracts

    Edit::

    I didn't catch this, but yes, they might charge you full cost if you remove the incredible from your line prior to 181 days of having it on your line.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    How would amazon know what phone i am using on my line? If my incredible broke and i had to use a new phone, they wouldn't charge me the full cost of the incredible, so i wouldn't think it would be an issue if i swapped it out for a thunderbolt, as long as i am not changing my plan, and keeping data service.
  8. #8  
    Edwill86's Avatar

    Posts
    1,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Franco

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loyolacs View Post
    How would amazon know what phone i am using on my line? If my incredible broke and i had to use a new phone, they wouldn't charge me the full cost of the incredible, so i wouldn't think it would be an issue if i swapped it out for a thunderbolt, as long as i am not changing my plan, and keeping data service.
    If your Incredible broke and you had to get a new phone( assuming you dont have the $99 deductible insurance and are out of warranty) you would have to buy full retail off contract if no upgrade is available. And your account info/phone info) should be availably to Amazon. The phone model synced to the system when you activate it.

    I dont like buying contract phones from amazon so I dont know exactly how using upgrades work for them. just let you know you can manage your upgrades online and move them to specific lines to make things easier if need be. I know at VZW you can just tell them what Line to apply the upgrade to.
    Devices: Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7
  9. #9  

    Default

    I'm not familiar with amazon's policy.

    Let's say your incredible has a manufacturing defect, and vzw gives you a replacement incredible. by amazon's terms, will they charge you full retail cost for the device?

    In my opinion, I find it hard to believe that they can do that. But...I have been wrong before!
  10. #10  
    Edwill86's Avatar

    Posts
    1,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Franco

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemieuxfan67 View Post
    I'm not familiar with amazon's policy.

    Let's say your incredible has a manufacturing defect, and vzw gives you a replacement incredible. by amazon's terms, will they charge you full retail cost for the device?

    In my opinion, I find it hard to believe that they can do that. But...I have been wrong before!
    In this case VZW could not replace your device. Amazon would have to handle the warranty service/replacement.
    Devices: Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    The only thing i see in amazon TOS refers to keeping the line active for 181 days:

    AmazonWireless

    AmazonWireless Instant Discount Policy

    When you purchase your device with service from AmazonWireless.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount from the carrier to you. This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, AmazonWireless.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes.


    From what i see here, it doesn't say you have to continue using the specific device that you purchased from amazon at a discount. As far as i can tell, you can activate a new line and get a discounted phone from amazon, and then switch to a different phone... as long as the service remains the same. Has anyone had a different experience?

Posting Permissions

B