Fixed? Dunno! - CPU pegged at 100% - "System" the culprit... Expert help wanted!

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
This afternoon, my battery started dropping like crazy (fresh battery completely drained in <1.5 hrs). I opened SystemPanel and found that "system" is pegging the CPU at 100% whenever my screen is on. According to CurrentWidget, the CPU/battery use slows down to normal levels when I lock my device. I've rebooted, pulled the battery, etc., but the issue starts up again as soon as the device powers up.

From what I can tell, it's not a rouge app that's running, but I'm not really sure how to dig into this "system" process to determine what it's doing.

Any experts out there want to walk me through what I need to do to nail this down?

I've opened the log with Android System Info, but I don't see any glaring errors. However, I'm not sure what normally gets logged and what I should be looking for.

Any help is much appreciated, as this is incredibly frustrating. :mad:

Edit: Device is stock. Tried 4G, 3G, wifi, Airplane mode, GPS off, verified nothing syncing.

Update 1:

OK, so I was digging around Google, and stumbled across this thread. My upload arrow seemed to be going off every couple seconds for a couple seconds, so I started researching that. Someone mentioned they had their SIM replaced, so I figured, what the heck, I'll reseat it and see what happens. Powered back up and "system" is back in the 1-10% CPU range!!!

Now on to reinstalling and re-enabling everything I uninstall/disabled while troubleshooting. :\

On a side note, I never really looked at my SIM. The top seems to be grayish, but the bottom is white? Maybe it's on it's way to being fried? -.-

Update 2:

So, the problem has returned. It definitely seems to be network related. The up data arrow is pegging at times now, as well. Opening the Phone Info screen and running ping tests has been hit/miss when 3G/LTE shows connected. Tried the no data "fixes", as well as every known combination of data/wireless/wifi enabling/disabling, both with the SIM in and out. All to no avail. Probably going to try a factory reset, and if that doesn't do anything, talk to VZW tomorrow. :(

Anybody have any other ideas?

Update 3:

Did a final reboot after popping the SIM back in and the CPU is back to normal, but my data connections are not -- still up and down. Hoping somebody is just monkeying around in my local VZW towers, cause it sucks having to monitor my CPU to make sure it's not going bonkers. I'll update again if I have any concrete info. :\

Last edited:

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
On the Current Widget you can go to Log and see what you've been using pre problem and post problem to see if there is a stuck app.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
On the Current Widget you can go to Log and see what you've been using pre problem and post problem to see if there is a stuck app.

I didn't have app logging on by default pre-problem, so the CW log isn't much help, other than to tell me that my battery is dropping faster than [insert something off color here]. :\

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21