Droid X vs Thunderbolt

WillyWonka

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting the Thunderbolt to, among other things, be grandfathered into unlimited LTE. For those that have come from a Droid X:

1. What were you reasons for switching?
  2. Do you regret switching?
  3. What do you like and dislike about the Thunderbolt (com apred to the X)?

I'm in a 3g area, and lte won't be comming until the end of the year.

What are your thoughts?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting the Thunderbolt to, among other things, be grandfathered into unlimited LTE. For those that have come from a Droid X:

What are your thoughts?

I came from a Fascinate, but I had the Droid X before that and in my opinion it this can't even be compared to the Droid X. The X felt awkward atleast to me to hold in the hand while this feels perfect for a 4.3" screen. I also was not a huge fan of the motorola software they put on (stock sms/email) app and personally I love SenseUI. All preference though.

Volbeat

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
1. Motorola cant seem to ever get an update right the first time. Then it takes them 2 months to fix it. I hate the lag that blur gave me.

2.Absolutely not! Ive actually considered buying a 2nd T-bolt so when this one is warn out, Ill have another one ready and waiting.

3. Sense is much smoother. Everything seems to respond faster. I like the fact the stock keyboard has arrows so when I screw up a word I dont have to try to punch in between 2 tiny letters to fix it, I simply just arrow over and Im on my way. I also like the fact that my text messages are in order, but I think motorola finally fixed that screw up if Im not mistaken.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I didn't have an X but I was considering getting one instead of the Thunderbolt.

I went with the Tbolt because of FFC, LTE, Sense UI and updated processor.

Fatasaurus

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have a Thunderbolt now coming directly from an X. They are both great phones but I am happy to have my Thunderbolt now. I agree the feel is a lot different and even though the X is thinner the rounded shape of the Thunderbolt is a much better feel. Sense is a much nicer more connected feeling UI compared to Blur. Its also much more sluggish (being a much bigger part of the phone than Blur is. They are pretty comparable phones honestly. IMO the only really great things about the Thunderbolt are the front facing cam, the 4G and the unlockable bootloader. Im flashing my second ROM and 4th kernel as Im writing this lol.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I switched from the DX.. What I like better,
-I didn't like the physical hard keys of the DX, I prefer the capacitive touch buttons of the Bolt.
-I like the Bolt's user interface better.. Sense vs Moto Blur.
-The DX, while it was a great phone, felt kind of cheap to me. I compare it to an old Nintendo remote controller... cheap plastic with rubber buttons.
-The DX is nice and light but the Bolt looks 10x better... I couldn't stand the hump on the back of the phone.
-I could probably go on for a while, sooo.... the DX was an amazing phone and I loved it while I had it but it was time to move on to bigger, better and greater things.

Reactions: Chrisy

damule6666

Banned
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Loved my DX. And actually prefer the form factor over my T-Bolt. Felt better in the hand, and more like a solid well made device. HTC devices are well known for being creaky and squeaky.. But all that aside the T-Bolt blows it out of the water.. I do have 4G where i live so i do use up a bit of battery.. But thats the price of admission.. And it is WELL worth every dime..

Dont regret the move one bit. And on a side note, i have ALWAYS used a after market loader.. But after having ADW EX (my personal fav) on for a few days... I prefer sense!

Cant go wrong with the Bolt!!!

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Now while I do like the TB I will say I dont love it......

There are things I liked more on the x, for one I did like the hard keys better, I always seem to hit one of the touch keys on the TB and screw up what I was doing.

I also liked the dialer better on the X, I thought it was easier to look up someones number or at least I could do it quicker but that might be because I came from an OG droid and it was the same (I think)

The battery lasted me much longer on the X and the extended slim battery was not even noticeable when it was on. With the extended battery on the TB I can not use a case because there is not one for it.

There is no desk dock for the TB, while the kickstand is great and would solve this problem you can not charge the phone and have it on the kickstand in landscape.

Now I do like sense over motoblur but there are a few things I would change but nothing major. One thing I would like to do is save icons, apps and settings like you can with one of the aftermarket launchers (motoblur cant do this either)

I am in a 4G area so it was an obvious choice for me to upgrade, but the loss of data is starting to bother me enough to want to switch phones.

Overall I would say I am happy but do not think I will last through my whole contract on this phone, unlike when I bought my DX and I was very happy with it and had no desire to switch I can not say that with this phone, glad I have upgrades on other lines :)

slim6596

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

What are your thoughts?

1. Lock in unlimited 3g/4g data at current pricing

2. Heck no!!

3. The TB feels much more polished and better made than the X. I like Sense 2.0 (at least for now). I couldn't stand MotoBlur. When I get tired of Sense, I can go back to using LauncherPro. Front facing camera lets me (using Yahoo Messenger) video chat my wife and kids from my TB to my home laptop. Lots of other things (TB much more customizable than the X).

If you can upgrade to the Bolt now, I would recommend doing it. You won't be sorry. At least, I'm not.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

What are your thoughts?
Ultimately, the phone you choose is a personal decision.

I use both the Droid X, and the Thunderbolt.

1. I purchased the Thunderbolt because I wanted a 4g LTE phone on Verizon, and it seems relatively clear that Motorola is having difficulty getting one out right now. Hell, they can't even follow through on getting the Xoom updated as we were told.

2. I do not regret switching.

3. I like Sense UI on this phone. One of the things that I really like is being able to place contacts into groups, look at specific groups and those who are in them and that type of thing. I like the size of the better. Two things I really like, it is smaller and thinner than the X, yet still maintains the same size screen. I like that the 32gig micro sd came standard with the phone. I had to purchase that separately for my X. I like miss having the ability to take widescreen pics like I was able to on the X. But, on the flip side, I like the self-timer that is standard on the Thunderbolt and that doesn't exist on the X.

Those are just a few things off of the top of my head.