3G fix for Thunderbolt

wakestrong

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
LTE is back online, please follow steps at the bottom of this post to get everything back in order.
*If you are in a 4G area it is advisable to make sure you switch to eHRPD to avoid bad hand offs between 4G and 3G as well as allowing simultaneous voice without hiccups. I noticed my GPS was not working last night so it is possible eHRPD settings will affect your gps or it could have just been due to the network issues.

As most are aware both the LTE network and eHPRD are down (a special version of 3G for the Thunderbolt only). To get 3G data back you just need to change your settings back to the normal 3G network. Here are the steps:

Dial ##778# and hit send

• A pop-up window named EPST will show up giving you 2 choices: View Mode and Edit Mode. Pick: Edit Mode.
  • Enter the Password: 000000
  • Go down to Modem Settings and pick “Rev A“
  • You’ll want to choose enable and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”
  • Restart your phone and you should see 3G is working

last step (may not be required if you get 3G after restart)

dial *#*#4636#*#* go to phone info, then set preferred network type to CDMA auto (PRL) ---will stop phone from looking for LTE signal

I hope this helps anyone that is left in the dark by this outage.

If you are running a non-stock dialer or a rom that included a dialer it may prevent you from entering settings. Flash this zip to go back to stock dialer
http://www.mediafire.com/?9yf09ri4t2mip4z

For those that want instructions for after LTE is back on

These 2 steps will put you back on LTE and then put you back on the correct 3G for the Thunderbolt, when its back up.

dial *#*#4636#*#* to get LTE, go to phone info, set preferred network type to CDMA + LTE EvDo auto

Dial ##778# and hit send
A pop-up window named EPST will show up giving you 2 choices: View Mode and Edit Mode. Pick: Edit Mode.
Enter the Password: 000000
Go down to Modem Settings and pick “Rev A“
You’ll want to choose eHRPD and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”

Last edited:

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
THANK YOU!! I thought it was just my phone. Comforting to know its an outage. Yeah I also noticed that it was the eHRPD network only, as I could get a strong 3g signal as you did above. Friggin amazing.

I REALLY feel sorry for people that don't know about these things. Their phone prolly barely works and eats battery like a fat kid in a candy store.

What a shame this is what it takes to get this phone functioning. I understand early adoption but this is amazingly ridiculous.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Nice work son.

Isc.jpg

Now the real question is... Why is this happening? What is so special that this only effects DA BOLTS?

aBoldPatriotsFan

Android Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... dialing that ##787## does nothing. Just goes back to the dialer like nothing happened.

Maybe cuz he said ##778## not ##787## haha supposedly vzw was updating 4g network when it whlent down. Said our sd cards are not connecting to the network. 3 or 4 areas are all effected if you have a 4g phone.

Sent from Tapatalk using my ThunderBolt

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe because its ##778# :)

Notice the 2 pounds then the 1?

Maybe cuz he said ##778## not ##787## haha supposedly vzw was updating 4g network when it whlent down. Said our sd cards are not connecting to the network. 3 or 4 areas are all effected if you have a 4g phone.

Sent from Tapatalk using my ThunderBolt

OMFG...

*facepalm*

picard-face-palm.gif

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Nice work son.

Isc.jpg

Now the real question is... Why is this happening? What is so special that this only effects DA BOLTS?

Because they use a special network for simultaneous voice and data (eHRPD) doing ##778# brings you back to plain old vanilla 3g that every other Verizon phone is on.

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
You gave me a much needed laugh at that tho, thx!! Just because it was such an utter fail. Its like someone saying go down the road, make a left then turn right at the red barn. Then they repeat it back, ok so go straight then make a right then turn left at the giant chicken? Lol

wakestrong

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
THANK YOU!! I thought it was just my phone. Comforting to know its an outage. Yeah I also noticed that it was the eHRPD network only, as I could get a strong 3g signal as you did above. Friggin amazing.

I REALLY feel sorry for people that don't know about these things. Their phone prolly barely works and eats battery like a fat kid in a candy store.

What a shame this is what it takes to get this phone functioning. I understand early adoption but this is amazingly ridiculous.

Glad I could help

wakestrong

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Nice work son.

Isc.jpg

Thanks! This isnt the first time this has happened but certainly the longest. It happened on March 24th for a few hours.

This effects the bolt because it uses a special type of 3G that allows fast switching between 3G and 4G as well as simultaneous voice and data as mentioned. Not sure why the 4G went down but I think they are switching on LTE in new areas and this may have been the trigger.

wakestrong

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
These 2 steps will put you back on LTE and then put you back on the correct 3G for the Thunderbolt, when its back up.

dial *#*#4636#*#* to get LTE, set preferred network type to CDMA + LTE EvDo auto

Dial ##778# and hit send
A pop-up window named EPST will show up giving you 2 choices: View Mode and Edit Mode. Pick: Edit Mode.
Go down to Modem Settings and pick “Rev A“
You’ll want to choose eHRPD and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”

Reactions: jtmeyers

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com

dial *#*#4636#*#* to get LTE, set preferred network type to CDMA + LTE EvDo auto

Dial ##778# and hit send
Go down to Modem Settings and pick ?Rev A?
You?ll want to choose eHRPD and click OK, hit the menu button and then press ?Commit Modifications.?

Other than looking at AC forums, how will we know when things are back to normal?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
As most are aware both the LTE network and eHPRD are down (a special version of 3G for the Thunderbolt only). To get 3G data back you just need to change your settings back to the normal 3G network. Here are the steps:

Dial ##778# and hit send

• A pop-up window named EPST will show up giving you 2 choices: View Mode and Edit Mode. Pick: Edit Mode.
  • Enter the Password: 000000
  • Go down to Modem Settings and pick “Rev A“
  • You’ll want to choose enable and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”
  • Restart your phone and you should see 3G is working

Optional- to get it to stop looking for LTE, dial *#*#4636#*#* then set to CDMA auto (PRL)

I hope this helps anyone that is left in the dark by this outage.

so, assume i did this ##778# trick to get back to vanilla 3g.
but then LTE network is back up and running in a few hours.
would the PhoneInfo dialer code work to switch back to LTE? or do we need to go back into "##778#" menu and change something before editing settings to look for LTE again?