| || |
New to Android & TB. Few modding questions
I'm brand new to Android and obviously the Thunderbolt. I'm comfortable with Linux, command line stuff, and modified OS's from other platforms but have a few questions about the various processes.
I just got my phone and I'm currently letting it charge fully before I mess with it. I'm comfortable with the rooting process and will do it manually to learn about, but I have a question beforehand:
1. Do I need to activate my phone with VZW before rooting? Is there a way and a need to backup the device before I root it?
2. What is the standard way to back up Apps and User Data to my PC? Not the full ROM, but just user data? Do people do that?
3. **Answered** Does a Nandroid backup contain the data as well as the ROM or is it just the data? I.e. do you install the same Nandroid backup if you rapidly switched between several ROMs to check them out?
4. What is the preferred way to insure the device? I've used the standard $5/month before for my blackberries.
5. Do most people use a case (soft or hard) or a screen protector?
Thanks a lot. I've read through all the guides but just had a couple questions about specific parts of the processes.
** Answers **
3. Download titanium backup or my backup pro.
With one these apps you can backup all your apps plus the data relating to them. With my backup pro you also can backup how your home screens were layed out. All you need to do when you flash the new rom is download one of these apps and restore your apps.
When flashing new roms you need to clear all user data.
Make sure you make a nandroid back up before flashing anything.