Is There A Way To Close Down Programs Running In The Background Manually?

Bailarge

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Settings>applications >running services. Click on whatever you want to stop. I actually have a shortcut on my homescreen for running services...

It has been made pretty clear on these forums that you should not be using a task killer.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Be mindful of what you close down as it could just end up causing you to waste battery closing things down for no reason, forcing process that were sharing resources to open up again. This is the reason task killers are not recommended. Remember Android is not IOS , BB or windows, It was designed to multitask efficiently not to have apps shut down every five mins. So unless its an app playing music , video or running GPS in the background i wouldnt concern myself with them.

ChezDigital

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
What about apps like life360, poynt, ps express, and pandora? And then they restart automatically...what's the logic behind that?

rgm1266

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Settings>applications >running services. Click on whatever you want to stop. I actually have a shortcut on my homescreen for running services...

It has been made pretty clear on these forums that you should not be using a task killer.

How did you make a shortcut on your homescreen for running services?
Thanks

adaorange

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
i have a question related to this: How many background processes are normal to be running at once? I have dozens going even though I have not opened them (dozens = over 60 at once). Even apps that I NEVER use like the peep thing, flicker, friend stream, vz nav, etc. tons and tons. is this normal?

n0thng2bdone

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
i have a question related to this: How many background processes are normal to be running at once? I have dozens going even though I have not opened them (dozens = over 60 at once). Even apps that I NEVER use like the peep thing, flicker, friend stream, vz nav, etc. tons and tons. is this normal?

yeah, it's normal. i've considered rooting just to be able to uninstall the stock bloat, but i don't think it would have much effect on battery life so i don't think i'll root for that reason. i could be wrong, but i think the only significant improvements in battery life will come from ota fixes/updates and maybe gb.

iastonish

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
yeah, it's normal. i've considered rooting just to be able to uninstall the stock bloat, but i don't think it would have much effect on battery life so i don't think i'll root for that reason. i could be wrong, but i think the only significant improvements in battery life will come from ota fixes/updates and maybe gb.

Rooting itself might not make a significant difference in battery life, but flashing a the right custom rom and Kernal combo can do wonders for your battery. Combine that with set cpu and the ability to overclock/undervolt and you really start getting the most out of your Thunderbolt in terms of performance.

Reactions: nate44

n0thng2bdone

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Combine that with set cpu and the ability to overclock/undervolt and you really start getting the most out of your Thunderbolt in terms of performance.

oh i didn't realize you can both overclock and undervolt, is that right? i might look into undervolting and low voltage kernels but will wait for the first major update before pursuing that. i'm still seeing people having major and minor problems with their custom roms...

and at this point i'm not sure exactly where sense ends and android begins, so that has me holding out too.

actually, i'm not sure anything can substantially improve battery life-the biggest problem seems to be the big screen

Last edited:

iastonish

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
oh i didn't realize you can both overclock and undervolt, is that right? i might look into undervolting and low voltage kernels but will wait for the first major update before pursuing that. i'm still seeing people having major and minor problems with their custom roms...

and at this point i'm not sure exactly where sense ends and android begins, so that has me holding out too.

actually, i'm not sure anything can substantially improve battery life-the biggest problem seems to be the big screen

Yes, you can do both :)

And trust me, custom kernals can really make a difference in battery life.

I was easily getting 12+ hours with BAMF 1.5 Remix. I probably could have gotten more per charge, but I charge my phone every night, so I never really pushed it to it's limits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech