Mysterious battery drain

superballz

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The last 3 nights i have went to bed with my tb charged to at least 60%. The first 2 times i woke up to the phone dying (around 10% batt) and this morning i woke up to a dead phone.:mad:I have checked all my sync settings and gotten rid of a couple apps that seemed to eat through the battery and still this...Up until this the battery has been pretty good (only had to charge once a day w/ moderate use). Anyone else having this problem? Seems like its been this way since the 4g outage.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Install CurrentWidget, enable logging, and keep an eye on what your current usage is when idle. It should be between 30-40 mA. If it's in the 200-400 mA range, there's something running rogue.

I've been seeing this, as well as my CPU pegged at 100%, more and more lately. I'm fairly conviced it's network related, not something wrong with our phones (although, it could be a problem with how our phones are handling the network problems, as well).

Let us know what your idle mA is, and we can dig deeper into the issue.

Reactions: superballz and qzic

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I am for sure having this problem... Used to get 16+ hours no problem, now since the outage... Like 6-7 hours and I gotta charge it... ATM, 4 hours down to 32%... Came here to see if it was just me.

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
I am for sure having this problem... Used to get 16+ hours no problem, now since the outage... Like 6-7 hours and I gotta charge it... ATM, 4 hours down to 32%... Came here to see if it was just me.

Same issue here. Before the outage battery life was fine. Today I unplugged at 7am and by 11:30 am I was down to 19% . Normally I'd have 75% at 11:30.

kalopsia

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ya...usually my battery drains 7-10% while idle over 8 hours of sleep. Everything turned off, no mobile network, no unnecessary apps, no WiFi, etc.

Last night it drained from 74% to 0%. Really ticked me off. Only thing turned on was the alarm clock.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I just installed Current widget for a test. My 2 week old Thunderbolt is in the upper 30s when the screen's off and around 120-130 with the screen on. I have MyVerizon Data Usage, Weather and Battery Widgets running. That seems pretty good.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Check your Blockbuster app again and make sure movie updates are disabled. I had sudden drain and somehow those updates were enable again.

I've also had a widget drain my battery.

Reactions: DrMPH08

kalopsia

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I also installed CurrentWidget, it said I was at 248mA while idle, then 412mA while awake. Then I rebooted the phone. It dropped to 38mA idle, 130mA awake.

But I decided to look at the Blockbuster app...Blockbuster movie updates were enabled again. I know I disabled them when I first got my phone. Apparently the update is scheduled for ~4am too. Lame. But that probably explains why it drained 3/4 of my battery last night...

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had great battery with Rooted BAMF 1.5 remix... All second party and VZW bloat gone. So no Blockbuster app to check. Only thing when I check whats using my battery is display at 79%, everything else is under 4% except Android system which is 15%, even though I've just had it sitting there, not using it... Last I checked, when I turn on the screen I get #'s like 524ma, then when I update it, 226ma...

baztekdroid

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem the past couple days. I have been getting between 10 and 16 hours on my bolt depending on 4 g and WiFi availability. Now within 3 to four hours I am looking for a place to recharge. When I looked at phone info and what's using battery it says Android system 66%. It in never usually that high. Maybe 4%. I wonder what is going on.?

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem the past couple days. I have been getting between 10 and 16 hours on my bolt depending on 4 g and WiFi availability. Now within 3 to four hours I am looking for a place to recharge. When I looked at phone info and what's using battery it says Android system 66%. It in never usually that high. Maybe 4%. I wonder what is going on.?

I had the same thing happen to my battery a few days ago. I posted about it and was given the suggestion to reboot to close any rogue apps. Worked for me. Back to great battery life. I also check the Blockbuster app occasionally.

Last edited:

major_works

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Newbie question. I installed the Current Widget app. When I try to add the widget to the display, all it does is take me back to the app's menu. What is it looking for me to do?

EDIT: Never mind... got it now.

Last edited:

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So turned it off, and then back on, (not just a restart) and battery seems to be back to normal... WTF?... Guess I should turn it off every once and awhile...

farmman

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Mine started draining today as well. Checked blockbuster app & it was enabled again. It apparently updated itself thru the market. disabled updates again & unchecked auto updateing from market.
Battery back to normal again. :D

qzic

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Tracking Rogue App

Install CurrentWidget, enable logging, and keep an eye on what your current usage is when idle. It should be between 30-40 mA. If it's in the 200-400 mA range, there's something running rogue.

What's a good way to track down a rogue app? I installed CurrentWidget (great suggestion) and the current draw is running continuously at 250mA with spikes to 310mA for a few seconds every 10 minutes. I'm not worried about the spikes, but I'd like to track down what's keeping it at 250mA.

Battery use numbers are innocuous:
  • Display - 66%
  • Cell standby - 12%
  • Phone Idle - 10%
  • Android System - 5%
  • Mail - 3%
  • [Amazon] Appstore - 2%
  • CurrentWidget - 2%

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
What's a good way to track down a rogue app? I installed CurrentWidget (great suggestion) and the current draw is running continuously at 250mA with spikes to 310mA for a few seconds every 10 minutes. I'm not worried about the spikes, but I'd like to track down what's keeping it at 250mA.

Battery use numbers are innocuous:
  • Display - 66%
  • Cell standby - 12%
  • Phone Idle - 10%
  • Android System - 5%
  • Mail - 3%
  • [Amazon] Appstore - 2%
  • CurrentWidget - 2%

Are you talking with screen on? I'm getting these same similar numbers with a little less display and a little more cell standby and phone idle. And my screen on amperage is about 350mA and I have nothing running, this is after a fresh reboot.

(see my thread in the forum, i made a post about it earlier. first time my thunderbolt has died on me. i got like 40% of what i usually get for battery life

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463