do i need a new sim just to reactivate?

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
So I had my bolt and then switched back to my Droid x. When I go to reacticate my bolt will I need a new sim or not since it will be activated for the same number and account?

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
how dumb... i know when I deactivated the Bolt it said something about my sim would be valid for 90 days. Why in the world would they do make you get a new sim for each time you activate it.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure there is some technical reason for it, maybe something with their new LTE network, but either way it does sound like you have to get a new SIM card.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
if you want to deactivate your LTE device you just remove the sim card. when you activate your line on a new device that is not LTE (dial *228) you retire/deactivate ur sim card.

if you where switching from an LTE device to another LTE device and not a 3g or dumb phone you would just install your sim card into the new lte device and it will activate your device. (without having the sim card manually deactivated)

(VZW can als0 deactivate/retire your sim card remotely if you tell them to)

Reactions: FrankXS

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
if you want to deactivate your LTE device you just remove the sim card. when you activate your line on a new device that is not LTE (dial *228) you retire/deactivate ur sim card.

if you where switching from an LTE device to another LTE device and not a 3g or dumb phone you would just install your sim card into the new lte device and it will activate your device. (without having the sim card manually deactivated)

Thanks for this explanation.

-Frank

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I really hate this. They really need reprogrammable sims.

That's not how sim cards work. When they are activated, they are tied to the number that it is activated with. If you change to a different device, especially on Verizon, the Sim card becomes unusable.

Its just a fact of life with sim cards.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

That is correct. Once the SIM is inactive or retired, there's nothing they can do except give you a new one.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure there is some technical reason for it, maybe something with their new LTE network, but either way it does sound like you have to get a new SIM card.

No. This is how SIM cards work. This is especially true when you're discussing a mixed-mode network like Verizon's.

WhitePhone

May 18, 2010
Visit site
That's not how sim cards work. When they are activated, they are tied to the number that it is activated with. If you change to a different device, especially on Verizon, the Sim card becomes unusable.

I know. Thats why I said, they need to start making SIM's that are reprogrammable by the network.... Its a big waste and inconvenience if all of Verizon's devices don't take SIM's.

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm so glad I read this before attempting to switch back to my X. This really sucks and seems like more of a hassle than what it's worth.

Can't wait for those Lte dumbphones!!!

nick1020

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

If your switching between thunderbolts (say for a warranty replacement) you do not have to get a new sim card you simply switch them.

JakesPrePlus

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Had I known this, I probably would have gone for the Incredible 2 instead because switching between my Thunderbolt and iPhone was part of the plan. This sucks.

WhitePhone

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Had I known this, I probably would have gone for the Incredible 2 instead because switching between my Thunderbolt and iPhone was part of the plan. This sucks.

I had a phone I wanted to switch between too. This definitely blows. Wait a while and get a lot of LTE SIM's on ebay for cheap once someone gets them up for sale. I once paid only $10 for a BUNCH of SIM's when I was on AT&T on ebay. Right now though, it costs $13 for ONE LTE SIM on ebay.

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Verizon will send you one free on their website. I learned this when I tried reactivating my bolt. Regardless the bolt is going back tomorrow anyways. Not worth ut to switch from my Droid X since no 4G here.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
If your switching between thunderbolts (say for a warranty replacement) you do not have to get a new sim card you simply switch them.

Well yeah. You're not switching between two disparate devices. It only matters if you switch between a CDMA and LTE device.