Why do people think HTC has good build quality?

jgang06

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I came from the original Droid and have noticed that im having more problems with my Thunderbolt than my droid.

I have had the following problems:

I have multiple scratches on my screen. I never once had a single scratch on my original Droid after owning it for 2 years and not using a case.

The speaker grill on the top of the phone is "flaking", for lack of a better word. It looks like the chrome is like rubbing off or something.

The black area right beneath the menu keys on the bottom of the phone is chipping away.

The kickstand is also scratched up and barely pealing on the back.

Is it just me or does anyone else's phone look likes it been beat up more than it should? Im not a big case user, but im thinking about buying one, mainly to protect the screen. I just never thought about it because I never had problems with my old Droid.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My Thunderbolt has none of those issues! Only thing I notice is two small light leaks near the bottom keys. I cam only see this leak when I look at it from a certain angle.

Otherwise, my HTC is solid and well constructed. Very impressed with HTC build quality.

I use no case, no screen protector, and I put my phone in my pocket daily. No peeling, chipping or scratches at all!

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
My Thunderbolt has none of those issues! Only thing I notice is two small light leaks near the bottom keys. I cam only see this leak when I look at it from a certain angle.

Otherwise, my HTC is solid and well constructed. Very impressed with HTC build quality.

This. And I didn't use a case for the first month, and only half of the time now. Yea, I think you need that case.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I wonder if the paint chipping and fading has to do with the lotions or potions some use. I generally use nothing...no lotion or perfume...and have not had a phone fade or chip.

Maybe some are using harsh chemicals on themselves or for cleaning their phone?

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I've probably touched mine with lotion a few times, so that's probably not it... I mean the kickstand and lotion kind of go hand in hand... or something. :p

No, I'm kidding, there could be something to it. I'm careful with my kickstand, I never scratch at it (miss) when I'm opening it, I make sure my fingernail goes all the way under it.

aBoldPatriotsFan

Android Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I wonder if the paint chipping and fading has to do with the lotions or potions some use. I generally use nothing...no lotion or perfume...and have not had a phone fade or chip.

Maybe some are using harsh chemicals on themselves or for cleaning their phone?

It could be the acidity of their sweat. I mean the OP says the grill on the ear peace is "Flaking". Get a BT or Wired headset with that high acidity sweat.

Also who doesnt put on a Screen protector. I have always put on a screen protector. Even though i am very careful and keep my phones as clean as possible i still keep the screen untouched. The screen itself on most of my phones is never touched after breaking the seal on the box. The clear protector it comes with comes off and the screen protector goes on.

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
LoL - you aren't the only one. I just got a replacement phone and still debating on a case as I absolutely hate them. I had the OG droid and the Droid X and both still looked good after heavy use. I do plumbing so my phones get beat up but my droid X looked as good as it did the first day that I got it. No scratches on the screen or anything. The thunderbolt is crap compared to the way my droid x looked. I too have kickstand peeling, four scratches on the screen, and a lot of the grey has rubbed off around the bottom. I could careless about the grey coming off and the kickstand peeling, but the screen glass just seems to be crap. I am forced to put on screen protectors now, which I am TERRIBLE at doing.

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
The original droid was a tank. Any hardware compared to it will feel lacking.

Luckily I haven't experienced any of the issues reported on the forums yet. No peeling kickstand, cracks forming, or scratches on the screen. I do wish htc went with the unibody design for the thunderbolt.

aplsucks

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Ppl think that probably because it is true. I have had nothing but experiences with HTC phones build durability and quality. And this is going back to the ATT 8125 days. My 8125 took a dive off my car roof while i was going down the road at 40MPH and slid down the road and still worked like new. scratched up as hell, but no cracked screen or problems with it sliding in and out. I have had 6 HTC phones and they have all been great build quality. I have a hard time believing you have already scratched your screen all up and your OG Droid didnt get scratched after 2 years. The TB is made with gorilla glass; your not getting any tougher than that. you apparently need a screen protector and hard case.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I find the screen scratches a bit odd -- are you sure that there's not a plastic covering still on the screen? These screens are made to be pretty scratch resistant, and while not impossible, I would find it unlikely (yet unfortunate if true) that there could really be multiple scratches on it, given "normal" use.

I've had 4 different touchscreen phones, never used a screen protector on any of them, and never had so much as a scratch on any of them (knock on wood), including my TBolt. Screen protectors may help to keep the screen clean, and I've even read reports that they add a cohesive property to the screen that can prevent or lessen damage due to shattering effects (if your screen cracks, a protector may minimize the severity of the crack), but let's face it, a thin sheet of plastic is much softer than the glass, so I'm skeptical to think that it really provides much protection from scratches. Not stating fact, just my opinion.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any peeling or screen scratches (but I do use a screen protector). That phone sounds like it's had a major beating!

Xharakov

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Yup. I've had my TBolt since launch and I haven't had any of those problems. I don't baby the phone but I do take care not to slam it around, and it has a case and screen protector. Treat your phone a like the expensive little gadget it is! ;)

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I had my phone in my pocket during my vacation in New Orleans, and I guess my keys scratched my screen just a little bit. I put a screen protector on it, and the scratches are not visible. I am just a little disappointed.

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
This.

Sounds like he doesn't take care of his phone if he has all of those problems

I don't think it boils down to "not taking care of the phone." I haven't dropped my phone or anything of that such but its still falling apart. I put my phone in my backpocket and my backpocket only. There is NEVER anything else in there but somehow the damn screen got scratched up. I wear dickies or jeans for work and going out and neither of them have buttons on the rear left pocket. Not sure how it happened, but it happened. The peeling on the kickstand has been talking about on another thread with lots of people complaining about that. I got a replacement yesterday so hopefully this thing doesn't get beat up so easily.

Accrete

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I came from a full aluminum bodied Samsung i760 that i had dropped several times from waist height without any damage to the device. I like the Tbolt's construction and feel. It rivals what i sense in the i760 as a quality build. I didn't have a case on the i760 though with this nice big Tbolt screen i'm thinking about getting one mainly to protect the front screen if there is an accidental drop.

OH and PS... i keep the Tbolt in the right leg outside tool pocket near the knee on the painter-pant style jeans i wear. This worked since 2007 for the i760 without mishap due to pocket location.

cjmcmillion

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
i have the light leak above the menu keys too also the kickstand is peeling - have also a hair line crack on the bottom- i have case and screen protector on mine ive never dropped nor have it near anything that would scratch it- some phone are just build good and some are just cheap made with cheap glass

jgang06

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I find the screen scratches a bit odd -- are you sure that there's not a plastic covering still on the screen? These screens are made to be pretty scratch resistant, and while not impossible, I would find it unlikely (yet unfortunate if true) that there could really be multiple scratches on it, given "normal" use.

I've had 4 different touchscreen phones, never used a screen protector on any of them, and never had so much as a scratch on any of them (knock on wood), including my TBolt. Screen protectors may help to keep the screen clean, and I've even read reports that they add a cohesive property to the screen that can prevent or lessen damage due to shattering effects (if your screen cracks, a protector may minimize the severity of the crack), but let's face it, a thin sheet of plastic is much softer than the glass, so I'm skeptical to think that it really provides much protection from scratches. Not stating fact, just my opinion.

No screen protector. Two large scratches on the screen and im pretty careful with my phones...