Is anyone experiencing latency on their network extender?

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't get bars on my Thunderbolt at home so I got the Verizon network extender. Now I get bars, which is great, but tonight I noticed I also get latency. I was talking to my dad and we kept tripping over each other's words. I realized after a while that it was latency and tested it by counting steadily to 4 and having him try to say 4 at the same time as me. Didn't work. He'd say it a beat later. We tried it the other way with him counting and the same thing happened. This is super annoying and can make you seem like an interrupter in conversations and generally throw off the conversation rhythm. This is my only phone and I'll start working from home soon, so that's going to be an issue.

Any other Thunderbolt owners having latency when making calls over their network extender?

Any users of other phones having latency problems?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Coupla questions, and thoughts...

What kind of Internet connection do you have? How is your Network Extender setup on your system (i.e. directly to the ISP's router, to an internal router, to an internal firewall)? All these things can make a difference. Additionally, even direct native tower connections have this offset. It's all a matter of degree. It also depends on the other side of the connection. Does your dad use a Network Extender? Does he have VZW or another carrier? His end could also be to blame. There are so many variables. Personally, I've used a Network Extender since they first became available. Occasionally I hear what you are describing, but no more often than it happens on native cellular connections. I mean, this is not all that uncommon on even native connections.

-Frank

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not familiar with using a network extender, but it would kind of make since that it would increase latency as it adds an extra step in the process. Sounds like a question for Verizon.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Coupla questions, and thoughts...

What kind of Internet connection do you have? How is your Network Extender setup on your system (i.e. directly to the ISP's router, to an internal router, to an internal firewall)? All these things can make a difference. Additionally, even direct native tower connections have this offset. It's all a matter of degree. It also depends on the other side of the connection. Does your dad use a Network Extender? Does he have VZW or another carrier? His end could also be to blame. There are so many variables. Personally, I've used a Network Extender since they first became available. Occasionally I hear what you are describing, but no more often than it happens on native cellular connections. I mean, this is not all that uncommon on even native connections.

-Frank

Whoops, forgot about this one.

My internet is Comcast 12mpbs I believe. My network extender plugs into my router, which plugs into my modem. I have no firewall other than if the router can be considered a sort of firewall.

My dad doesn't use a network extender and the effect was the same calling him on his home or his cell. His cell is Verizon.

I wasn't aware there was much latency on cellular connections, but if so, that could explain it, or a lot of it. The only other time I've noticed the conversational effects of this kind of latency has been when calling certain places in South America or sometimes on Skype.

fundo51

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I usually don't experience any bad connections or latency while using the phone over the extender. But recently with the thunderbolt I am having connection issues. Every 3G phone in my home has full signal all over the house and outside it. The Tbolt has issues just keeping a steady connection on 3G to the network extender. As soon as I leave the room the extender is in I get signal loss, 20 feet away and I have no service. VZW can't provide any reason why this would be.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I've since spoken with Verizon's network extender support group about this. The guy had me do a bunch of tests at a few sites to determine speeds and several factors related to the quality of internet service I had. Turns out my internet signal is variable enough that it slips in and out of the required/recommended benchmarks to support calls through the network extender. I'm not sure if I buy his diagnosis, because my latency is consistently bad as opposed to variably bad. You'd think with varying upload and download speeds, I'd get different results, but I don't. It may be more due to my hinterland location out past even solid 3G coverage. Who knows.

Reactions: FrankXS

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've since spoken with Verizon's network extender support group about this. The guy had me do a bunch of tests at a few sites to determine speeds and several factors related to the quality of internet service I had. Turns out my internet signal is variable enough that it slips in and out of the required/recommended benchmarks to support calls through the network extender. I'm not sure if I buy his diagnosis, because my latency is consistently bad as opposed to variably bad. You'd think with varying upload and download speeds, I'd get different results, but I don't. It may be more due to my hinterland location out past even solid 3G coverage. Who knows.
Thanks for revisiting the thread and letting us know the outcome.

-Frank