Switches from Wifi to 3G when screen goes dark???

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Any idea why my Thunderbolt, which had previously been working fine, now switches to 3G when it goes into standby (screen goes dark) from wifi. When I wake it back up it then reestablishes a wifi connection, however, there is a data delay while it reestablishes the wifi connection and I have to wait before I can do anything.

Is there a setting somewhere for it to keep the wifi connection while in standby mode?

Thanks.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Any idea why my Thunderbolt, which had previously been working fine, now switches to 3G when it goes into standby (screen goes dark) from wifi. When I wake it back up it then reestablishes a wifi connection, however, there is a data delay while it reestablishes the wifi connection and I have to wait before I can do anything.

Is there a setting somewhere for it to keep the wifi connection while in standby mode?

Thanks.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I believe I've seen more than 1 person on this forum post about an issue to similar to this.

Just yesterday, I noticed my Thunderbolt was doing the same thing. When I'd wake it up from standby, it would indicate that it was running 4G, then after a few seconds re-connect to wifi. Never noticed this before, and I'm not 100% sure how long this was occurring (but it could not have been for more than a day or two).

I tried the usual stuff, reboots, clearing of caches, etc, nothing seemed to work. I then checked my recently installed apps, the only one of which was "IM+" (a chat client), which I downloaded to do some testing for a pilot program at my work. Long story short, I uninstalled IM+, and the problem seems to have disappeared, although it's only been a few hours, so I can't be fully certain yet.

So...my question is, to anyone else who has noticed this, do you have IM+ installed?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Nope. I bit the bullet and restored a nandoid backup I has from a couple of days ago before I noticed the issue. It seems be working fine now. Not sure what could have caused it though.

nick1020

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I believe I've seen more than 1 person on this forum post about an issue to similar to this.

Just yesterday, I noticed my Thunderbolt was doing the same thing. When I'd wake it up from standby, it would indicate that it was running 4G, then after a few seconds re-connect to wifi. Never noticed this before, and I'm not 100% sure how long this was occurring (but it could not have been for more than a day or two).

I tried the usual stuff, reboots, clearing of caches, etc, nothing seemed to work. I then checked my recently installed apps, the only one of which was "IM+" (a chat client), which I downloaded to do some testing for a pilot program at my work. Long story short, I uninstalled IM+, and the problem seems to have disappeared, although it's only been a few hours, so I can't be fully certain yet.

So...my question is, to anyone else who has noticed this, do you have IM+ installed?

Its your router. Same thing was happening to me. The wifi would disconnect mostly when the screen was off but sometimes also when the screen was on.
I updated the firmware on my router and it was fixed. It worked for me and a buddy of mine hope it works for you.

Reactions: paintdrinkingpete

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Check your Wi-fi settings to make sure that Wi-fi sleep policy is set to never. Otherwise, when your phone goes to sleep, it will turn off Wi-fi and switch to the cellular network.

Press Menu key/Settings/Wireless & networks/Wi-fi settings

Press Menu key/Advanced/Wi-fi sleep policy

Confirm that Wi-fi sleep policy is set to never

Reactions: paintdrinkingpete

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Its your router. Same thing was happening to me. The wifi would disconnect mostly when the screen was off but sometimes also when the screen was on.
I updated the firmware on my router and it was fixed. It worked for me and a buddy of mine hope it works for you.

I didn't even think to check that. My router is at the most recent firmware version, but I admit there times when I need to reset it because it starts getting "buggy". All the same though, that wasn't the issue in this case, as this behavior hasn't returned since I restored from backup (my phone is rooted and I had a recent Nandroid back to restore to). All the same though, very good suggestion--I'm sure that could cause very similar behavior if the router is crapping out or failing to hold the connection.

Check your Wi-fi settings to make sure that Wi-fi sleep policy is set to never. Otherwise, when your phone goes to sleep, it will turn off Wi-fi and switch to the cellular network.

Press Menu key/Settings/Wireless & networks/Wi-fi settings

Press Menu key/Advanced/Wi-fi sleep policy

Confirm that Wi-fi sleep policy is set to never

Wow...I though I knew every setting on this phone, and I didn't even that "advanced" menu existed. I'm pretty sure that setting wasn't changed though... it's set correctly now, and I can't imagine anyway that setting would have been changed prior to restoring the backup.

Here's what I do know: yesterday, before I noticed this happening, I was visiting a friend who lives in a "4G fringe" area. My battery was already low and I didn't bring a charger with me, so I switched to CDMA mode (as I have before in the past) to turn off LTE because my battery usually gets eaten alive when I'm there. I got home a few hours later, turned 4G back on and connect to WIFI...and that's when I noticed the problem. I'm not sure if switching the "Preferred Network Type" from 4G to 3G and back again caused it to happen or not, but nothing I did seem to fix it until I restored my phone to the nandroid backup I had from Thursday (and lucky me that I had a recent one!).

If I have time later in the next day or two I may try to reproduce the results to rule that out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa