Not open for further replies.

lippstuh

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Would you rather have a
BMW 328
or
BMW M3

Obviously the analogy here is that the M3 is the Thunderbolt; its much faster (4G), much nicer (screen size), and worse on gas (battery).

I personally get 12 hours on my battery. I ordered an OEM battery and I always carry it in my pocket. I RARELY use my spare; I probably need use it only 1 day out of the week.

Remember you're going to be on a 2 year contract, by the the start of 2012 a lot of people will be on 4g, and you'll be left with old technology while everyone else is enjoying 25mbs down and 5mbs up. You'll probably get 2-3mbs down if you're lucky.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
What will you do without a kickstand?

Seriously! I love this the kickstand. I stand it up all the time. One thing I just realized it's good for too is holding it sideways. I flip the kickstand out and then, holding it in my right hand, put the kickstand between my pointer and middle finger. So I don't have to grip at all and don't worry about fumbling and dropping it. Makes for an easier and more secure way to hold it and it keeps your hand/fingers from blocking any part of the screen.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm all set on the 4G/3G issues and other obvious out front things, but those appear to be what people mostly want to mention. I feel like I should have titled this post differently - "What are the hidden pitfalls of the Dinc2?" - and posted over in the Dinc2 forum. I think I'll do just that! Not fair to ask you guys about a phone you don't have.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
It's a phone for crying out loud. Man up and take your own decision.

You will be buying many, many, many, more phones in your life time.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
No one can really tell you what you should do. Sounds like your mind is made up.
The TB isn't for everyone. Just like with any device and some work better in areas than others. I can't use Samsung in my home area......doesn't keep a signal. So I understand you concerns all too well. My mobile is my only device too and I depend on clear call quality as well. Thar being said, you need to do what is best for you. A neighbor of yours could have great TB call quality and another phone not work........and vice versa.
You could be getting a bad TB. I know all too well about having defective and bad running devices. I went through a lot of BB before jumping over to Android. I have the original Incredible and have no problems whatsoever.

jdmarler

May 3, 2011
Visit site
i have been looking into the android phones for a month now since its my time to upgrade. i thoroughly looked at the reviews for thunderbolt and incredible 2. Although the battery life isn't great with the thunderbolt i decided to go with due to 4g even though i dont have it in my area yet but i do travel alot and the fact you dont need 4g to browse the web while talking. Since i have been hearing about battery issues, i bought the the trent imp1000. Its a portable charger that you can recharge your phone through out the day without having to worry about plugging in to a wall. If you look on amazon you can read the tech specs. They also have the imp 500 which is half of the power of the 1000. It'll charge anything usb. Just something to look in to before you switch.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I really think the only Big difference that might concern you since 4g and the screen size seem not to is the mem.

tbolt= 4gig internal(-bloat-ware) +32 sd

dinc2- 1gig internal(-Bloat-ware) +16 sd

other then those + the kickstand rear speaker, ect you know you have one. the bolt and dinc 2 are about the same.

battery life will be about the same, same 1ghz cpu same 768mb ram 8mpix camra.

-You wont get locked into an unlimited 4g data plan when they go tiered though.

-They are both really nice phones. pick one that fits your needs.

* also the dinc2 is cheaper retail if you break it :p $400 something compared to the Bolt's $600+ retail

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Based on what you are documenting I am not sure why you are going to spend the money for a Dinc2. Get a Dinc1. If I read your needs correctly the Dinc1 will work just fine for you. $49 for a certified pre-owned. I moved from a Dinc1 to a Bolt only because one of my kids begged for the Dinc and i had a NE2 available. I loved my Dinc1 but I love the Bolt even more. And Mike is right, it is a phone. We all need to get a life!

Reactions: FusionBolt

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
HA! Jdmarler, you win the thread. You came through with the one thing I hadn't thought of. No grandfathered unlimited 4G data if I went with the Dinc2. That's exactly the kind of thing I was fishing for - big stuff I hadn't thought of. And I read it... 15 minutes after I dropped the Thunderbolt in the Fedex box, after having completed the exchange over the phone for the Dinc2. AUUUUUUUUGH! DAMN IT! Seriously, damn it! Ah well. I could have mitigated the battery issues with a carry-around spare, but I needed better call quality pronto. So I had to do something. But the Charge might have been the better option in that case if I wanted to keep unlimited (EDIT: wait, that's not out yet. nevermind). I hear the battery life is better. Good news is that in my two weeks of use, I didn't even crack half a gig of data. So I'll probably be fine under a future tier. Still though. Damn it! Thank you very much for your input. Everybody else too. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the original incredible and I don't like the upgraded inc 2 but that is my opinion. Other than being global and having a front face camera, I think it lacks from the original Incredible. It lacks in internal storage minus the SD card, It doesn't have the build quality of the original. I have never had an issue with the original and my call quality is awesome. The speaker isn't that great. I am disappointed in how HTC supposedly upgraded their original because it lacks in my opinion. And the retail value is even lower. If you can get the original, get the original........it is amazing and it does live up to the name. My calls are so crystal clear as well as on speaker. Everything is great.
Everything is great on this device. I did up to the 1800 mAh battery and can get up to 12 or more hours depending on what my use is that day, some more than others. It is a personal preference and you need to make the decision yourself.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey wait, do we know for sure that 3G data and 4G data will be differentiated when Vz goes tier? I'll be paying $30 for unlimited data on the Dinc2 same as I was on the Thunderbolt. Why wouldn't that be grandfathered in the same way? Have we gotten a definite ruling on that from Vz already? When you switch to a 4G phone at upgrade time, do they make you start all over, planwise?

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Haven't carriers used that as an excuse in the past (phone type/style switches) to pull people out of their grandfathered plans? I'm not speaking from a point of knowledge, I mean no one really knows what they will do.

I'm paranoid they will mess with me after my 1 year plan is up, but I don't think it's likely. Switching from a 3g device to a 4g device after they go tiered seems like an easy way to get people. "Sorry Sir. you will have to choose one of our 4g plans" ...meh.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
If call quality is a priority and you don't like what you got on the TBolt it is unlikely that the DInc2 is any better as call quality on my DInc is comparable to the TBolt, If that is a priority I would not look at other HTC phones, try Motorola like the D2Global, which I am using as my daily driver device as Phil puts it. Solid signal and nice loud clear speaker.

How do you know the DInc2 does not have any issues? Has it even been out a full week yet? Takes a lot longer than that for the user base to sift through user comments and see what ones are repeated and what ones are individual things.

EDIT: And for whatever it may be worth to you: I would not trade my TBolt for a DInc2 even if you paid me and gave me the new device for free.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
VZWRocks - as detailed above, I tested out Dinc2 vs. Thunderbolt for call quality. At least in my test, in my area, with the units I used, the Dinc2 was better. Add in the reports of excellent battery life and that was the one-two punch for me given the issues I was having.

I don't know that Dinc2 has no issues. That was the point of this thread. Again, read it. In fact I know that it has at least a couple of issues, neither of which trumped my reasons for exchanging. I was here looking for more possible pitfalls that might make the Dinc2 an even worse option despite the problems I was having - anything I might be overlooking. Having only been out a week like you say, there could be and likely will be other problems, but I had one day to make a decision or else be locked into the Tbolt and so took a calculated risk based on the problems I was having and the info I had gathered.

I'm glad you like your device.

jedoles

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't know that Dinc2 has no issues. That was the point of this thread. Again, read it.

Until you test it yourself you really won't know. If you havent noticed things vary between no problems to lots of problems depending on the person. It also depends on their expectations of the product.

You very well could find a whole new set of issues. If/When you find you made a horrible mistake please post on it as I am looking forward to reading it:)

jedoles

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Does nobody actually read these threads? Jeez! The emotional attachment to phones is nuts.

What do you expect coming into a TB thread and complaining about how you cant decide what to do? If you were to post in a DINC thread I'm sure you would get the same type of results only in favor of the DINC. People are going to be biased. Its just the way people are. Telling them not to be is not going to change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.