Convince me not to swap my Thunderbolt for an Incredible 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the last day of my trial period with my Thunderbolt. I love many aspects of the phone and don't like others. I'm 98% sure I will call them up and tell them to send me an Incredible 2 and ship this TB back to them. But since it's the last day, I won't have a new 14 day clock to use to evaluate it. So it's kind of a crapshoot. Keep something that's not working out great, or double down on something unknown except the small amount of promising info I've read here and in other forums. Can't go back to the Tbolt if this doesn't work out. So I'm looking for your input and advice on anything I might have overlooked in making my decision.

In a nutshell I'm not happy with the Tbolt's battery life, call quality, or weight.

1. The weight is what it is and I would probably just live with it if nothing else was wrong. Don't like it though. Size is great, it's just the weight. The Dinc2 weight is perfect. And while I don't have a problem with the Tbolt size, the slightly smaller Dinc2 is kind of nice. I like how it sits in the hand.

2. The call quality is bad for me. This is my only phone, so for home use and for working from home like I may start doing, it's essential that I can hear and be heard. I tested out a Dinc2 and it's better. I sound crystal clear to people I call instead of muffled and muddled. And on my end I hear no weird garbling, robot voice, or dropouts like on the Tbolt. I understand this is variable and that some people here are getting wonderful Tbolt call quality. Not me, not here. Could just be my hinterland area, but I did a test call on another Tbolt in the store and the same things happened, whereas the Dinc2 in the same store had no problems. I feel like I can't risk keeping the Tbolt and swapping it out again and again looking for one with better call quality when that might not happen and then I'm stuck.

3. We talk a lot about battery life tweaks here. I've done all of them short of rooting/rom-ing/kerneling. I don't want to have to think about battery life or actively manage it through all of this stuff. I want to pull it off the charger first thing in the morning and have it last until midnight when I put it on again and I don't want it dying on me since it's my only phone. Ideally I want longer than that in case I forget to put it on the charger or have an unexpected kind of day or unusual travel or whatever. I'm hearing great things about the Dinc2 battery. That sounds like sweet relief by comparison and is tied for first place with call quality as my main reason for switching.

There are a number of other big issues that we talk about here that I've already resolved for myself and that we don't need to consider.

I understand about all of the implications of having 4G vs. not having it and of using it all the time vs. conditionally, buying for the future, etc. etc. etc. No need to address that. I had to use 3G most of the time anyway and am fine with that for a year (1 yr contract).

I'd rather have the bigger screen but the Dinc2 is really fine at 4".

I love love love the kickstand but can live without it or get a case that has one.

The Dinc2 speakerphone is pretty quiet, which sucks. I'm willing to sacrifice that to get the other advantages of the phone.

One reviewer said he's seen better photo/video performance. I barely use those things so am not overly fussed. Better would be better but it's not a top priority.

The Dinc2 only has about 1GB of usable internal memory for apps. This sounds bad. But I'm told a GB is more than enough for apps. And lots of apps can go on the card if needed. Any thoughts here?

The Dinc2 comes with 16gb card instead of Tbolt's 32. I'll need 32 to fit all my music (which I'll listen to via aux plug on the car stereo), so that's an extra expense. But I'm chalking it up as an acceptable sacrifice.

Am I overlooking any other considerations? Any hidden pitfalls with the Dinc2? Thanks.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thunderbolt=LTE
Dinc2=3g

end of story for me :)

oh, also
Thunderbolt= simultaneous voice/data over LTE & 3G.
Dinc2=only Voice or only Data over 3g
originally i didn't care about this feature, but it actually comes in handy

sorry you're having those problems

Reactions: Chrisy

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Ditto with what the other two have said plus I'm willing to bet that the Dinc2 will have problems of it's own that you will have to deal with. So you can keep the Tbolt and wait for the version update or get the Dinc2 and deal with an all new set of issue you may encounter. Then again you may get one and not have any problems at all. Sorry your having problems now and have to even consider turning in your TBolt...Do what makes you happy I say. Good luck.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
no 4g
smaller screen (but by a negligible amount)
less memory!

I personally had a hard time deciding between the 2....the dinc 2 is a sick phone, but the bolt is just as awesome and after having 4g..I dont think I can take slower speeds. lol

Last edited:

jedoles

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
no 4g
smaller screen (but by a negligible amount)
less memory!

I personally had a hard time deciding between the 2....the dinc 2 is a sick phone, but the bolt is just as awesome and after having 4g..I dont think I can go take slower speeds. lol

The deciding factor for me is 4G. After the outage I realized how much I really got used to the 4G speeds even in such a short period of time(day 1 TB user here). When we were stuck in 1x although I didnt complain because I knew it would be fixed in a timely fashion I still can say I missed it.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
For those of you mentioning 4g, there's no need to mention it. I'm resolved on that point and a number of other points. I'm asking you guys if there are other things - other things not covered above - that I've overlooked that might help me avert a bad decision. It would need to be something significant, but that's why I'm asking. I think some posts like this are really veiled shots at one phone or another, and indirectly at the people who own that phone. Then those people feel the need to rally and defend their choice. This isn't that. If you like your phone you get a high five from me, whatever it is. I have zero emotional attachment or loyalty to one phone or another and if I return it that doesn't mean anyone else should. There's no score being kept here.

zog1977 - You're right. I have already made the decision in my head. I'm about to pull the trigger and am polling you guys to make sure that - in my circumstances - I'm not making a mistake because I've forgotten something. If you know of something I've left out of my considerations, let me know. If it's minor, I'll probably pull the trigger anyway. If it's major, it could save me from some regret later.

Last edited:

jrapp

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I have not read any reports about DINC 2, but the battery life on my DINC was nothing to write home about.

Just saying.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Were I am, I don't get 4G, now, and I'm not sure if ever. :(

But, on your note about the call quality. My TB has about the best quality of all of the smartphones I have had. One of the main reasons I switched to it.
Battery life could be better. I think I will just get a second battery though.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
jrapp, I heard the same thing about the Dinc1 last year. That's exactly why I didn't buy it. I expected the Dinc2 to follow in that tradition but so far everything I'm reading about its battery is really positive. That was a big surprise. Had I not heard that, I probably wouldn't have considered it as an alternative.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Worwig, it's people like you here that had me considering just swapping out my Tbolt for another Tbolt instead of the Dinc2, hoping to get a better unit. I hear such good reports of Tbolt call quality but just can't replicate them on my Tbolt or the ones in the store. And it's consistent. Could be my area or some combo of phone and area. If I had more time I'd try a Tbolt exchange but am at zero hour.

One lesson this has taught me is to buy in the store, not online. You lose days in an already short eval period when you have to ship things back and forth by mail. If you could just go back and forth to the store instead, you could do multiple exchanges per day if needed until you got the right one.

jedoles

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
jrapp, I heard the same thing about the Dinc1 last year. That's exactly why I didn't buy it. I expected the Dinc2 to follow in that tradition but so far everything I'm reading about its battery is really positive. That was a big surprise. Had I not heard that, I probably wouldn't have considered it as an alternative.

Astrodroid,

I see you have listed some of the specs that the DINC2 has and what the TB has as more improved over it. What are the features that are drawing you to the DINC2? Are those features so much greater that you would decide to give up a phone you have tested and know about to go with something that is more.."unknown?" I understand your dilema however. Its hard to make a choice not knowing what you are getting into. Thus my favorite quote:

"I used to think I was indecisive, now I'm not so sure."

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
If all of the things that make a Thunderbolt unique don't hold any value for you, and you don't wan't to wait to see of the battery life improves for you make the switch.

You lose LTE, memory (built in and card), simultaneous voice and data on 3g, better (IMHO)screen, and that is basically it. I will say that they are very very similiar phones with a very slighly larger battery in the Dinc 2. I would guess that if you turned of LTE and dimmed the screen a few % more that battery drain would be near identical. So i don't know that you are going to see much change there.

My guess is you swap one set of issues for another and get a lighter phone with a slightly smaller screen and slightly better battery life...

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I see you have listed some of the specs that the DINC2 has and what the TB has as more improved over it. What are the features that are drawing you to the DINC2? Are those features so much greater that you would decide to give up a phone you have tested and know about to go with something that is more.."unknown?" I understand your dilema however. Its hard to make a choice not knowing what you are getting into.

Jedder1977, it's not features that are drawing me to the Dinc2, but rather the apparent lack of the specific problems I'm having with battery and call quality. Feature-wise, the Tbolt has more and it's a sacrifice to give them up. The size and weight of the Dinc2 are kind of just bonus items that would not in themselves cause me to switch. If somebody were to say, "Oh but the Dinc2 caps the number of apps you can have" or "the Dinc2 doesn't do widgets" or "the Dinc2 doesn't sync email" (you can see I'm just making these things up) or "the Dinc2 crashes all the time" or whatever, I'd have to factor those in. I've factored some of those in already, such as weak Dinc2 speakerphone and reportedly sub-optimal photo/video. Those are the sorts of things I'm looking for - bigger ones more so than minor ones. I'm guessing there aren't any, but for example that 1GB of memory of apps could have been a killer. I hear it's not, but that's an example of a potentially unseen drawback.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
What will you do without a kickstand?

haaaaaaaaaa,
nicely done.

propping your phone with primitive means is so 2009.

anyways, back to OP,
the only thing i really have to complain about is battery life (surrounded by LTE everywhere i go in Charlotte--but still a significant drain after conditioning the phone & tweaking it)

if anything, you could probably convince someone(who isn't smart-phone crazy) you know to get the Dinc2 & swap for a few days then decide if you want to stay swapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel