Gingerbreak is separate from this OTA, right?

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Am I correct in assuming the current/ soon-to-be-rolled-out OTA is separate from Gingerbread releasing for the Thunderbolt? That's still to come later in the summer, correct?

Just out of curiosity, is there any likelihood that the Thunderbolt (non-rooted) will ever see 2.4? Or will it only get 2.3, and not go any further, because it'll be an "old phone" whenever 2.4 releases?

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Correct, this is a Patch not a full OS and not Gingerbread. I see no reason why new OS versions couldn't be packaged to work with the Thunderbolt for a long time. The limitation for upgrading is more restrictive when it comes to what version of Sense it will be able to run.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The impending OTA isn't Gingerbread. It leaked a while ago and is the basis of some custom ROMs. Looking forward to Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich beyond that. Even if Verizon never releases ICS for the ThunderBolt, it's highly likely that the development community will fill the void.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I guess, I'm just not really familiar with rooting, and all that stuff, so I'm kinda weary of it, as I'd be afraid I'd screw up my phone trying to put 2.4 on it, whenever that comes out and the dev community gets it running on the Thunderbolt. I dunno, maybe I'll be more interested in taking the risk then.

Also, I just noticed the type in my topic title. Ugh. It's weird, because I saw it written like that somewhere else, but I was sure I wrote a "d" instead of a "k". Hm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech