External Battery Pack and Charger

MojaveHigh

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the smaller New Trent external battery pack and it works well. The one I have has a 5000 mAh capacity and I use it with both my Tbolt and my iPod touch. The one nit I have with the product is that it doesn't charge using a standard USB connection. If I had to do it over again I'd get one of the external batteries that charge using a standard USB cable.

I was just looking at the New Trent 5000mAh battery on Amazon and I don't understand what you mean, "it doesn't charge using a standard USB connection".

It has a mini-USB in so that you can charge the battery with a USB wall charger. And it has two USB outs, so you can charge any device that will charge via USB.

So, with my Thunderbolt, I could carry just the one mini-USB to USB cable and the USB AC adapter. I would charge the New Trent with the cable and adapter. Then use that same cable to charge my Thunderbolt from the New Trent. That seems really ideal. What am I missing?

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I was just looking at the New Trent 5000mAh battery on Amazon and I don't understand what you mean, "it doesn't charge using a standard USB connection".

It has a mini-USB in so that you can charge the battery with a USB wall charger. And it has two USB outs, so you can charge any device that will charge via USB.

So, with my Thunderbolt, I could carry just the one mini-USB to USB cable and the USB AC adapter. I would charge the New Trent with the cable and adapter. Then use that same cable to charge my Thunderbolt from the New Trent. That seems really ideal. What am I missing?

I don't know if New Trent has changed the design, but the one I have has two connectors. There's a standard USB port that is used to plug in a cable to charge your device, and a separate round power plug that is used to charge the battery pack. To charge the pack, you use a cable that comes with the device that has a standard USB connector on one end and a round power connector on the other. If they changed the design to charge it through a standard mini USB connector that would be a nice improvement to the product.

MojaveHigh

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if New Trent has changed the design, but the one I have has two connectors. There's a standard USB port that is used to plug in a cable to charge your device, and a separate round power plug that is used to charge the battery pack. To charge the pack, you use a cable that comes with the device that has a standard USB connector on one end and a round power connector on the other. If they changed the design to charge it through a standard mini USB connector that would be a nice improvement to the product.

Yeah, that is exactly what they did. On the New Trent IMP50D, there are two USB outs and one mini-USB in, no round connector at all.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I use it when I am at a venue like on a football field, lacrosse field, etc and don't have access to power. But then I also use it for my wife's iphone and the kids' nintendos and ipods

OC Nut

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I've used this, and it works pretty well. So far, I have cycled through it twice, and it has delivered about 140% extra battery (so about 1900mA-hr). The charging is sort of slow (about 20%/hour) but it is very light (a little bigger than, and a little heavier than, the TB itself). I also have its big brother, which I am testing for size (by spec, it has 48.4 W-hr).

TekFuel MD Battery Pack | Overstock.com