Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Default new contacts to gmail?

Is it possible when adding new contacts to ones phone to have the contact type be gmail (or sim card) instead of phone? Id rather have them backed up to google then backup assistant..

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Rem

ROM
    BAMF Remix v1.8.6

I have yet to hear of a way to default them to Google or the SIM, but there is a "Contact type" dropdown menu at the very top when adding a new contact that will let you choose one of these options.

Also, there's a roundabout way of switching existing Phone contacts to Google contacts:

Open the People app, tap menu -> import/export -> export to SD card -> Phone -> OK.
    Then go back to menu -> import/export -> import from SD card -> (Create contact under account) Google.

It'll find the contact(s) file automatically and save them all to your Google account.
    Last edited by Rem; 05-05-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Thanked by 2:

If you are only using Google contacts, go to View and uncheck 'Phone' or 'Sim'.
    Next time you try to add a new contact, it'll default to Google, since you are not using phone or sim contacts.
    Thanked by 5:
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,537 Global Posts

Thanks, guys!
    Rem

ROM
    BAMF Remix v1.8.6

Quote Originally Posted by chunjaenim View Post
    Next time you try to add a new contact, it'll default to Google, since you are not using phone or sim contacts.
    Never even thought to uncheck those two. Brilliant!

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Thanks so much for this information. I recently flashed to a custom ROM last night and found out that I lost some contacts when the phone synched with my gmail contacts. I was wondering what happened... haha Thanks again!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

cool. I hadn't thought of doing that. Thanks.

ROM
    Rockin' GingerBamf Sense

Thumbs down Huh?

That does NOT work, it just means you won't see those contacts in the list. "phone" is still the first option when you add a new contact.
    Rem

ROM
    BAMF Remix v1.8.6

Quote Originally Posted by wallyweaver View Post
    That does NOT work, it just means you won't see those contacts in the list. "phone" is still the first option when you add a new contact.
    Actually, it does, just not right away. I'm not sure if it started working after I rebooted (I've been flashing kernels all afternoon) BUT I can verify that I'm getting "Google" by default now when I select 'Add contact'.

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wallyweaver View Post
    Wrong! If phone and sim are unchecked in view new contacts default to Google. Discovered that trick when I was moving my contacts from Dinc to TB at release.
    -----------------------------------------------
    The brightest Thunder-Bolt is elicited from the darkest Storm. Charles Caleb Colton ...

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Default new contacts to gmail?

Worked great on my dads phone. Glad I use Motorola. Thanks for you help guys.

Default Re: Default new contacts to gmail?

Problem:
    Contacts typed on phone do not go to computer gmail contacts.
    Contacts typed on computer gmail contacts go to android.

Solution.
    First, here is a sensible work process that I use.

My work process.
    I want my contacts to be stored in my main gmail accounts.
    (The solution will work if instead gmail you use other provider.)
    That is to say, as soon as I type my new contact, it will go
    into gmail contact list.
    Here is how to achieve that.
    On Android do:
    main | phone | contacts | +new contact | just UNDER the new contact
    there is little triangle that if you touch that, it will be menu
    allowing to select who will be hosting your contacts | I select gmail.
    This way it will configure that any new contacts will be stored in gmail contacts.
    Then to see the right thing (only gmail contacts), do:
    main | phone | contacts | menu | contacts to display choose gmail only.

Disclaimer:
    If you want to use SIM to store some contacts and gmail to store other
    contacts my solution is not applicable.
    If you will use my work process, my solution works.
    Note to Android designers of phone app, the triangle is a BAD idea, it should
    be under menu option.