Silly question...

mrbates

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm new here for the most part--I have been lurking for a few months after searching for info on Android phones. I purchased the Tbolt at launch and it was my first Android, well first smart phone for that matter.

I have been looking around and here all this anticipation mixed with complaining about OTA for us Tbolt users. I have looked but I can't figure out what this actually is--all I find is questions about when its coming, post about those that supposedly have it or know when its coming, and complaints about it not being here yet or being delayed.

I haven't had any problems with my phone other than crap battery life when i first got it, but from reading here I figured out how to manage that and I now have no issues, thank! What is all this OTA hype?

Thanks in advance,

Derek

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is pushing an over the air (OTA) update for the phone that is going to fix some small bugs as well as update the radio I believe. The reason that you are hearing so much about it is because it was suppose to be pushed yesterday and once a couple people get it, they can put it up on here for other people to download.

Its nothing special like a new OS update, just an update for some minor bug fixes and update the cell radio to supposedly make the 3G/4G radio work better.

FutureTBoltOwner

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
OTA = over the air, and pertains to software updates that HTC and Verizon can send to your phone via the air waves. These software updates are usually helpful for improving the phone, for example, many people are having issues with the Thunderbolt not recording voice while doing video, one of the things the talked about OTA would do is fix this issue. OTA's can also bring OS updates to the actual user interface as well, so in the coming weeks you will see more and more topics about when is the Gingerbread OTA coming? So as you see many people want to make sure their devices get the OTA so that it will hopefully help better the device and fix any problems.

mrbates

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is pushing an over the air (OTA) update for the phone that is going to fix some small bugs as well as update the radio I believe. The reason that you are hearing so much about it is because it was suppose to be pushed yesterday and once a couple people get it, they can put it up on here for other people to download.

Its nothing special like a new OS update, just an update for some minor bug fixes and update the cell radio to supposedly make the 3G/4G radio work better.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed any bugs but I am still pretty new to androids altogether so maybe I wouldn't notice unless it was bad.

mrbates

May 4, 2011
Visit site
OTA = over the air, and pertains to software updates that HTC and Verizon can send to your phone via the air waves. These software updates are usually helpful for improving the phone, for example, many people are having issues with the Thunderbolt not recording voice while doing video, one of the things the talked about OTA would do is fix this issue. OTA's can also bring OS updates to the actual user interface as well, so in the coming weeks you will see more and more topics about when is the Gingerbread OTA coming? So as you see many people want to make sure their devices get the OTA so that it will hopefully help better the device and fix any problems.

So this Gingerbread is a new OS? I thought the Tbolt came with the newest OS. I really don't know, my phone is pretty much stock other than I us GoSms rather than the stock texting program. I only did that because someone told me too. Thanks for the info--i am trying to absorb as much as possible so I have some fuel to fight my brother with when he is constantly telling me how i suck for not having an iphone.

FutureTBoltOwner

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So this Gingerbread is a new OS? I thought the Tbolt came with the newest OS. I really don't know, my phone is pretty much stock other than I us GoSms rather than the stock texting program. I only did that because someone told me too. Thanks for the info--i am trying to absorb as much as possible so I have some fuel to fight my brother with when he is constantly telling me how i suck for not having an iphone.

Yes Gingerbread is currently the newest version of the android OS, there aren't many phones that have it at the moment but HTC has already said they plan on delivering it to the Thunderbolt in Q2 of this year (so it will be here between now and the end of June). The bolt currently runs 2.2 Froyo the predecessor to Gingerbread (2.3)

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

The new build number and radio has been available for rooted users for over two weeks now. Here are the supposed benefits

GPS has been improved.
3G/4G transitioning has been improved dramatically.
Battery has been improved dramatically.
Quiet videos are no more

The official update has been delayed. More than likely due to people experiencing random reboots with the new radio.

HTC Thunderbolt Update Delayed - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abhishek397