Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default A few questions

So I love my Thunderbolt however I have a few questions that I would really appreciate having answered.

First, what browser is best? I've been using the stock browser and it works great. I've used opera on my blackberry and it was awesome. However I have friends who use Dolphin and swear by it. What do you use and why?

Second, are there any apps that let you watch tv shows on the phone? I like bitbop, but I don't want to subscribe to vcast. Are there any other similar apps? I'm waiting for netflix but until that comes out I'm suck without being able to watch tv on my phone.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I use dolphin, seems to work the best for me. Stock is okay but is limited and you have to pinch to change screens. 4 screens max. Dolphin has limit too, but way over 4. Once though, dolphin did not properly display pull down menu while stock did. I also tried xscope but it crashed a lot. I also like that you can exit dolphin completely by holding down the back button.

For tv, I think tv now and crackle are the two that i can think off the top of my head, but i havent really used them.

I also use Dolphin and it works for me so far.

I use Playon in order to be able to access Hulu and Netflix on mine. It works in conjunction with your PC though so it's not an answer for everyone.
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

dolphin

TV show stream
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock

When you say "in conjunction with" do you mean that computer had to be running?

I used to use dolphin, but I have recently switched over to skyfire and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ipb_11 View Post
    yeah, it's a server. everything goes through playon on the pc first, then to your device. it's not free, but it works well in my experience. if you are using it to transcode local files, then the speed of your pc could be an issue. i don't think it needs to transcode streaming video like hulu, more like just a passthrough, but i'm not sure. i used the free trial but that's it.
    there might be a way (with root) to change the user agent on your phone's browser for free, which would let you bypass hulu's restrictions and playon.
    Nexus Lover

Global Posts
    1,268 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB Build 4

i like firefox for my browser, it is clean and just works.

tv shows stream is good for the other.
    Follow me on Twitter!

Add me on Google+

Link
    Geek Freak

Global Posts
    512 Global Posts

I am using Dolphin HD browser. Fast and great plug-in's are available. Highly recommended.

Default All u need

Dolphin browser hd and tv show stream and megaviewer pro takes cares of yer movie and tv show fix
    until we get Netflix

1. Dolphin HD Rocks, I use it
    2. HBO GO if your are a HBO subscriber........

Quote Originally Posted by ipb_11 View Post
    Yes, it does. That doesn't pose a problem for me 'cause I'm used to leaving my computer on all the time anyway. But for those who aren't or don't have a computer, it's a bit of a problem.

Thanks for explaining how it works, n0thng2bdone. You did it better than I could have.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    ROM
    N/A

Browsers:

-Dolphin Browser HD has about the most simple customizing/add-ons. (I recommend add-ons Bookmark To SD, Fullscreen for Froyo, and Dolphin.fm [the latter if you use Last.fm])

-Opera Mini (regular and VZW versions are identical) is lightest and uses the least data because it compresses webpages.

-Opera Mobile (not Mini) offers little else the Mini version does not have, minus the compression.

-Firefox is simple. I've heard claims that it is very secure, but honestly with mobile browsing that is like saying you are the most secure room in Fort Knox, or the most secure house made out of paper.

-Skyfire is pointless for Android 2.2+ since the best thing it did was give limited Flash support for Android 2.1- versions. Android 2.2+ has Flash 10.2 support so its of no real use unless you like the annoying toolbars.

Now me personally, I like the more minimalistic browser experience (the opposite of Skyfire). The stock browser does pretty good for that for being stock, but the best is Dolphin HD. The Fullscreen for Froyo add-on gets rid of everything else except the webpage and a small loading bar. If you want the bar back, simply hit the Menu button. You want quick look at your add-ons? Swipe to the left. Want to see the browsing history? Swipe to the right. Want to snap to Facebook fast? Tap the Gesture icon and draw that goofy looking f. Very intuitive full screen design.

Google should take notes from Dolphin with their desktop Chrome browser, IMHO. I would love to have the option to make desktop Chrome be that minimalistic and intuitive.

Everyone covered all the TV apps that really work, and I don't mess with them much. I will love when we get Netflix though...
    Former Verizon Wireless Technical Consultant

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

I use Dolphin. Works like a charm

Sent from my TBolt using Tapatalk

I think the stock browser is really fine and nice and minimalist. I loaded Dolphin, Firefox, and Opera Mobile and tried each a few times and found myself going back to Opera. I like its cleanness and ease of use. I didn't know about Dolphin's fullscreen option until just now and that's pretty nice too - max real estate used.

Wow a lot of people use Dolphin.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Mortiel View Post

-Skyfire is pointless for Android 2.2+ since the best thing it did was give limited Flash support for Android 2.1- versions. Android 2.2+ has Flash 10.2 support so its of no real use unless you like the annoying toolbars.
    Other than the fact that it also compresses the flash video I tend to agree.

As for me personally if I were using a non HTC device I would recommend Dolphin or Skyfire HOWEVER I have always found the HTC Sense browser (Internet) suits me best. It's pretty fast, supports flash and flash light and it re-formats text when you zoom.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison