Thunderbolt won't turn on?

ThunderJunkie

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I've looked through some other threads and i can't find anyone else who has had this issue..
Last night my phone turned off and it would only turn on and go to the initial HTC screen.. then it would vibrate and turn off. It did that repeatedly for 2 hours and nothing i did would make it work. Today, I woke up and i couldn't get it to turn on at all. I figured the battery had died over night so i plugged it in, waited a while and tried again... nothing. I did notice that ONLY when it was plugged in it would vibrate every 30 seconds almost as if it was doing the same thing as last night. The screen did light up two random times as this was happening but it turned off right away. I haven't tried to root or do ANYTHING to my phone. and idk if this will help.. but the first time any of this happened, it happened as soon as i unplugged my phone.

Any help?? Any ideas?? Any anything!?!?! :'( :'(

Smittyn804

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
You can try this if no one else as any better suggestions. This is a "Hard Reset" and you will likely have to redo all apps and settings. look into this before going ahead with it.

1.Turn the power off. If your HTC ThunderBolt is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
2.Hold the Volume Down button
3.Press and hold the Power button until the device turns on
4.You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
5.Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
6.Press and release the Power button
7.Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO
All data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC ThunderBolt. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

Mooch10

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I would take it to Verizon and have them put a new battery in it and give it a try. It sure sounds like a battery issue to me.

stvlg1

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This is happening to me too. Last night I noticed my phone was completely dead around 7pm which is unusual. Not thinking to much of it, I plugged it in for the night. This morning, unplugged it and immediately put it in my holster not thinking to check for full charge. When I got to work, it was completely dead. I took the battery out several times. The phone does pretty much what Thunderjunkie says. After the splash screen , it vibrates a few times and shuts down.
These batteries are junk. I am going to Verizon after work.

edit: At lunch, I plugged it into my car charger to get it to boot up. It did . I went into running services and I noticed there were a bunch of app related
services (poweramp,Google maps, ect) still running in the background, even after pulling the battery several times. Do these services need to be running? If not, why does the phone not stop them when you exit the program?

Last edited:

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I figured it out, make sure that fast boot under power options is not checked. It needs to boot normally for the bootloader to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alma

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Its likely a hardware issue. Call Tech Support at 800-922-0204 opt 3. We'll take care of you.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Wireless Technical Support

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was "volume up and power to reach boot screen" I learned it cause I did it by accident once. Scared the sleep out if me.

daddy-

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
has anyone ever resolved the issue? i'm having the same problem with mine and don't know how to get it to work, or even turned on

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
has anyone ever resolved the issue? i'm having the same problem with mine and don't know how to get it to work, or even turned on

When in doubt....do a battery pull....let the battery stay out for about 2 or 3 mins. Put it back in and then let it sit for another minute. Hold down the power button until it fires up.

daddy-

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
tried everything. nothing works. went back to old batt, didn't work. charging light won't even turn on. tried hard reset, nothing. ;[ booo!

anyaskylla

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Tried everything you guys suggested, and nothing worked. We have three batteries that have all worked in this phone before, and none of them had any effect on it. All the batteries are fully charged from a docking station.

chicken31

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
My phone went dead so I simply charged it, but when it didn't show the green light in the top right to show it was charging I simply thought it was my charger. I tried another charger...still nothing. I ordered and replaced my battery... unfortunately NOTHING. It will vibrate when pushing the power button but won't show a screen or power light???

Robert Piotrowski

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same thing happen last night. I have a fairly new battery which was working great. Last night when I plugged in the phone the orange light flashed but did not stay on when charging. Tried again this morning and same issue. When I press power button, the phone only vibrates and does nothing after that. I used multiple chargers, batteries, etc w/o luck.