Coming over from D1, any initial setup advice?

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
First of all, hello to all! I will be buying a Thunderbolt today (assuming they can do it, they said the network was down yesterday). I am coming from a rooted and ROM'd Droid 1, which I have loved but is starting to show its age.

I am wondering whether there are any particular "must-do" actions for this phone to optimize it upon setup (the Charge, for example, benefits from Java scripting being turned off). Any settings or options that I should look at, anything to immediately go turn off or on? I don't have 4G in my area yet, so is there anything useful I should do in that situation?

I am assuming I can repopulate most of my apps between the Market and Amazon, and can copy over my special apk files for betas, etc.

I know the battery is an issue, but I am usually near a charger, so I am not too worried.

I am going to give Sense a try for a while, but I may switch to the Launcher Pro that I like a lot. I will not root for a while, though. I don't know why, but I can't bring myself to root a brand new phone!

I am sure I will be bugging the heck out of you guys for a while now as I get transitioned . . . :0)

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Coming over from another Android device is easy... Market, Gmail, etc work great... there is a lot of bloatware on this device... I'd say check things out for a while before you root, or put a new launcher.

I did go with Go Launcher EX myself, and Go SMS and a few other things even though I did like Sense.

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
These have been mentioned countless times, but they seem to help:
1. Open the Blockbuster app, press menu, choose Settings, and Disable Movie Updates.
(The app will kill your battery updating itself otherwise.)
2. Use the Brightness widget to turn your display brightness down to the minimum of the three settings.
(The screen is usually the biggest power hog.)
3. On home screen, press menu, choose Settings, choose Account & Sync, and only enable auto syncing on the features you use. Also adjust the frequency of the updates.
I only allow Gmail and Weather to auto sync. I have the Weather update every 3 hours.
4. Either get an Extended battery or extra battery chargers. You'll need them!

Those are probably the most important adjustments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22