Will activating 3g phone mess anything up

ccskimmer04

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
i was just wondering for future knowledge. does anyone know if i would mess anything up if i activated an ordinary 3g phone on a line with a 4g. My father just got a thunderbolt but was wondering if he'd be able to use his blackberry from time to time if he wanted to. I thought i was told that it would mess up the 4g sim card and advised him against doing so until I heard from the "android guys" on the forums.

thanks a lot

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
from what i've read--
you have 90 days from the day of activating another device until that Sim card is no longer able to be used in the TB again.

so, he can swap his number back to his blackberry--but if he doesn't swap it back onto the TB within 90 days then that SIM card is as good as...um...well not good at all :)

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
says 90 days but since sim cards are new to vzw for some reason they are being "retired" after 24 hours or so. In the future it might take actually take 90day before your sim card turns into a useless piece of plastic...

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
and oh yeah--whatever any rep tells you,

neeevvvveerrrrrr dial *228 from your/his Thunderbolt to activate the Sim Card or any other feature..

just..throwing that out there.

ccskimmer04

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. Lol def. His phone I suffered through the storm 1&2 and once I got the dinc I never looked back. I think I'm one of the minority that loves my tbolt. But my pops is just getting used to android and the beginners frustrations that come with change .

xWiggy18x

May 3, 2010
Visit site
from what i've read--
you have 90 days from the day of activating another device until that Sim card is no longer able to be used in the TB again.

so, he can swap his number back to his blackberry--but if he doesn't swap it back onto the TB within 90 days then that SIM card is as good as...um...well not good at all :)

Sorry, but this is not true. Once you take off the sim card off your plan it becomes paper weight. Cost you another $3.00

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
xWiggy18x where did you get the $3.00? I have never once charged anyone for a SIM card. They are free for the foreseeable future.

Aside, when you go from 4G to 3G, you SIM can become one of three states: Retired, Grandfathered, Aging.

Aging is what its *supposed* to be listed as for the 30 days, not 90, once you switch off of it. If its listed as Aging, you can safely reactivate it.

Grandfathered means it is *supposed* to be usable if already in use, but once removed from an account, it is useless.

Retired is what is *supposed* to follow the Aging period after 30 days. Once its retired, its done.

If you ever are trying to activate a SIM a VZW rep says if Unusable (UN), Retired (RT), or Grandfathered (GF), you will have to get a new SIM. If the status shows it is Reached Switch (RS) it is just awaiting the phone to activate. Do not let anyone replace your SIM card if the status is RS. All that does is qeue the new SIM behind the old one, so the activation takes longer.

SIM cards are FREE from stores and from calling VZW Tech Support. I just had an agent order one on Tuesday and shipped to a customer and it had no charge to it.

If you have a SIM replaced, destroy the old one, as it can contain sensitive account information you would probably not want a nefarious character getting.

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
I took my thunderbolt off my line, the sim card went dead. To reactivate, I had to go to a VZW store and get a new sim and it cost me nothing.

ccskimmer04

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks lakers. I figured thats what would happen but its good to know that VZW isn't making you jump through hoops to get back on the TBolt

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
xWiggy18x where did you get the $3.00? I have never once charged anyone for a SIM card. They are free for the foreseeable future.

Aside, when you go from 4G to 3G, you SIM can become one of three states: Retired, Grandfathered, Aging.

Aging is what its *supposed* to be listed as for the 30 days, not 90, once you switch off of it. If its listed as Aging, you can safely reactivate it.

Grandfathered means it is *supposed* to be usable if already in use, but once removed from an account, it is useless.

Retired is what is *supposed* to follow the Aging period after 30 days. Once its retired, its done.

If you ever are trying to activate a SIM a VZW rep says if Unusable (UN), Retired (RT), or Grandfathered (GF), you will have to get a new SIM. If the status shows it is Reached Switch (RS) it is just awaiting the phone to activate. Do not let anyone replace your SIM card if the status is RS. All that does is qeue the new SIM behind the old one, so the activation takes longer.

SIM cards are FREE from stores and from calling VZW Tech Support. I just had an agent order one on Tuesday and shipped to a customer and it had no charge to it.

If you have a SIM replaced, destroy the old one, as it can contain sensitive account information you would probably not want a nefarious character getting.
Truth right here ^