New Market App

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know when the new market will hit the Thunderbolt?

I haven't seen a reference to it on AC, but I did see it on Phandroid. It looks REALLY awesome! Can't wait.

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Here's an image of it:

new-android-market.png

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
that looks awesome. could try clearing cache on market and restarting

settings>applications>manage applications>go to all tab>find market>clear cache (and data if cache doesn't automatically do it) restart

that is how you get a market update if your phone doesn't have it. my TB came with an older version of the market and i did this to get the new one

Reactions: soccerfon711

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I gave it a shot and it didn't work, but thanks! I wonder if this is still a work in progress. I think it looks great and I would gladly test it for them on my bolt ;)

adaorange

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
i was just going to ask about how we update the market app. When I go into the market app itself it doesn't show the Market as being under "my apps". How come? I have a feeling my Market app is way outdated.

edit: I also tried the clear cache/data/restart but that didn't work for me either.

Last edited:

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
the market isn't an app that shows up. usually a market update works itself out eventually. but if you want to invoke the update you would follow the instructions i mentioned before. so if it didn't work the update probably isn't live yet.

@adaorange
what version of the market are you on? to find the version follow my instructions minus the clearing of the cache. it should be listed on that page though.

i'm on 2.3.6

Reactions: adaorange

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I was mostly asking if anyone knew anything about when the update would go live. A lot of sites didn't even mention it, and to me it's one of the most important results of the i/o. I hope we can get some insight on this soon.

LessThanAnAndroidNovice

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
the market isn't an app that shows up. usually a market update works itself out eventually. but if you want to invoke the update you would follow the instructions i mentioned before. so if it didn't work the update probably isn't live yet.

@adaorange
what version of the market are you on? to find the version follow my instructions minus the clearing of the cache. it should be listed on that page though.

i'm on 2.3.6
I'm also on 2.3.6

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The market you see there is for Honeycomb I believe. I am running 2.3.6 which was announced at I/O and allows content filtering.

But that's a Nexus S running that market. Maybe it's only for Gingerbread? But Google has never done that before. They include all operating systems when they update the market. I think this will hit the Thunderbolt eventually, but as for now it has not been released.

P.S. I am also running 2.3.6.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
But that's a Nexus S running that market. Maybe it's only for Gingerbread? But Google has never done that before. They include all operating systems when they update the market. I think this will hit the Thunderbolt eventually, but as for now it has not been released.

P.S. I am also running 2.3.6.

The key here is *before* go take a look at the market in the Xoom (or any Honeycomb device) and you will see it looks completely different from the market in any other Google device. And yes it could very well be for 2.3.4 as that is the code base they are probably gonna merge into the new Ice-cream Sandwich (Gingerbread + Honeycomb = Ice-cream Sandwich). We don't know. Also remember (and Phil talks about this in the I/O podcasts) sometimes the stuff they show off at I/O is just "proof of concept" ideas they are showing off and may or may not see the light of day.

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The key here is *before* go take a look at the market in the Xoom (or any Honeycomb device) and you will see it looks completely different from the market in any other Google device. And yes it could very well be for 2.3.4 as that is the code base they are probably gonna merge into the new Ice-cream Sandwich (Gingerbread + Honeycomb = Ice-cream Sandwich). We don't know. Also remember (and Phil talks about this in the I/O podcasts) sometimes the stuff they show off at I/O is just "proof of concept" ideas they are showing off and may or may not see the light of day.

I disagree. The categories that they created in the website market have to translate onto the phone, and the prototype we were shown looks to be it.

Also, Phandroid and TechCrunch have said this is for Android handsets. But time will tell, my friend.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. The categories that they created in the website market have to translate onto the phone, and the prototype we were shown looks to be it.

Also, Phandroid and TechCrunch have said this is for Android handsets. But time will tell, my friend.

You know that Icecream Sandwitch will be for both phones and tabets right? Just like now it will detect the device and you see the appropriate aps and categories.

But as you say we shall see...

EDIT: what I am getting at is that the two versions of the market app along with honeycomb and gingerbread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36