Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Legalized Drug Dealer

Default In "girl terms", explain to my mom why Android is better than an iPhone

Since I can't do it without getting all technical.

Go.

better camera
    more storage for those subsequently better pictures and movies
    bigger screen
    faster data connection
    has a nifty little kickstand so you can watch your videos easier

i ono, that's what i told my brother who was gonna get an iPhone (basically word for word) and it convinced him to get a tbolt.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    ROM
    N/A

One word: Widgets.

iPhone only shows shortcuts to applications. Android allows you to put widgets on your homescreens to see the information you want without having to open a single application.
    Former Verizon Wireless Technical Consultant

Better options if you want to change things, LTE and if you want to customize it is a better development community.
    Smartphones:Palm Centro>Curve 8330>Storm 9530>Storm 9550>Bold 9650>HTC Thunderbolt>Galaxy Nexus>Galaxy Note II Rooted * HP TouchPad
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Honestly for someone who is just interested in a smartphone out of the box and doesn't want to tweak/customize or fight with rogue battery issues, a Iphone is the better product. Some people are better off with Android and some are not, I've come to accept that.

If I was picking out a smartphone for a 40-50 year old woman I'd probably recommend a iphone. Unless she was a tech person or specifically needed something android offered it would probably be a better decision.

Of course the screen size might not be best for an older person...
    Thanked by:
    tino72 

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful View Post
    Honestly for someone who is just interested in a smartphone out of the box and doesn't want to tweak/customize or fight with rogue battery issues, a Iphone is the better product. Some people are better off with Android and some are not, I've come to accept that.

If I was picking out a smartphone for a 40-50 year old woman I'd probably recommend a iphone. Unless she was a tech person or specifically needed something android offered it would probably be a better decision.

I have to agree with you especially if the person doesn't have much tech knowledge then an easy, out of the box smartphone would be better and less headache.

My mother is almost 60, not tech savy (but does know how to get her way around on a computer on a basic level) and has a Droid2 global. She will at times have a question or two but she has no problems using it. After she saw my Thunderbolt she is interested in possibly getting one cause of the larger screen. She even taught herself how to download apps from the market but is scared to, LOL.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful View Post

On other words those who are too lazy to spend a little time to learn and then in the long run get more out of their devices because ultimately despite Apple's quantity of apps, ultimately you can do more and be more efficient/productive on Android.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
    Rem

ROM
    BAMF Remix v1.8.6

I'll bite my tongue against the whole "girl terms" thing but Forgetful and Jedi raise a good point: Android is obviously better for us but it may not be for your mother.

My parents are both in their 50s and to say that they are not tech-savvy would be an understatement. I gave them the general pros and cons like screen size, battery life, widgets and so on, but the real reason they both ended up with Android phones is that they know it's what I use and that they can call me up whenever they have problems.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    stock

I suppose a girl might say something like:

"Android phones are, like, totally totally hot! And with this fab purple case, it, like totally matches my purse and shoes! Can you believe what Stacy looked like with that iPhone? It was like, oh mygod! Those were cool, like ages ago."
    ;P

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by GoldLeader View Post

"Android phones are, like, totally totally hot! And with this fab purple case, it, like totally matches my purse and shoes! Can you believe what Stacy looked like with that iPhone? It was like, oh mygod! Those were cool, like ages ago."
    ;P
    Win. I'm still on the floor laughing... (Yes, typing is rather difficult rolling on the floor)
    Former Verizon Wireless Technical Consultant

;P
    This "girl" would never in her life say anything like that!

Global Posts
    709 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    I'll bite my tongue against the whole "girl terms" thing but Forgetful and Jedi raise a good point: Android is obviously better for us but it may not be for your mother.

My parents are both in their 50s and to say that they are not tech-savvy would be an understatement. I gave them the general pros and cons like screen size, battery life, widgets and so on, but the real reason they both ended up with Android phones is that they know it's what I use and that they can call me up whenever they have problems.
    That's why people in my family are on Android. The thing a lot of us forget about is that just because you CAN get super technical with Android doesn't mean you have to in order to enjoy it. Now, I will also agree with others who say that the iPhone is perfect for certain people. I'd say it has the widest range of types of people attracted with it. It's a powerful device, but it's SOOOO EASY at the same time. My mom got an iPod Touch and hasn't had to ask me a single question about it, and she's technically challenged.

It's all about choice and preference.
    cq

My parents are not computer savvy at all. ITunes itself would have ruined the iPhone / ipad experience. They both have Androids and are quite happy (surprising even to me). In addition, the free Google maps navigation wins a lot of people over, especially the non tech savvy.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Android is better - because you will help her take care of it...

Not sure what to say, mostly because it seems that usually anyone thinking of an iPhone is already convinced and completely sold. Android could cure cancer, end child abuse, and provide food for everyone in the world, but they would still want the iPhone.

My partner is a perfect example. He is a current iPhone 3G user who was thinking about switching to Android or waiting for the iPhone 5 on VZW (for some reason the iP4 isn't good enough I guess?). Anyway, he admitted that the TB was massively faster, he admitted that the web browser is better, he admitted that the FB app is better, he admitted that the public transit app is better, he admitted that Google maps for Android is better, he admitted that all the apps he uses on the iPhone are also available on the TB, and he really digs the widgets and animated wallpapers.

Worse yet, he fights with the iPhone 3G all the time. It's a POS, it always has been nothing but trouble...abysmal call quality, dropped calls, charging problems, app/sync problems, BT problems, all kinds of things. Just watching YouTube videos is a strange experience...it takes them forever to load then they break up, and then he has to tap on the screen about 15 times to get them to stop once they do play...lol! And again, it has always been trouble, from the first week.

But you know what? He still can't make the leap and is back to talking about getting a new iPhone. There was a bit of interest in Android for a few days, but now it's completely gone. I seriously don't get it. The times I've used his phone I wanted to throw it under a bus. But he still wants another iPhone...

I have friends who are the same way. They complain and complain about whatever current iPhone they have is, but they keep buying the next model because, well, it's an Apple iPhone! It's the stupid names, that's all it is. i this, i that. If the iPhone were made exactly as it is, but labeled "Samsung Awesome" it wouldn't sell like it does. I don't get it...
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by streetstrip01 View Post
    Since I can't do it without getting all technical.

Go.
    Nothing to explain - it isn't better.

Does your mom like to USE her phone - or spend all her waking hours tweaking her phone to get it to work properly?

Does your mom like to be able use her phone ALL DAY without re-charging it twice a day?

Why not just let her use a phone that works correctly right out of the box?

Quote Originally Posted by cegabq View Post
    This "girl" would never in her life say anything like that!
    Neither would this one!
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

I agree with Mike in some ways. I just went through your same scenario recently with my mom. She wanted a smartphone and wasn't sure what to go with. I'm obviously an Android guy so I told her to go with the Tbolt. A real simple way to do it,which is what I did. Go to VZWs website and print out comparisons between the iPhones and Android devices available. Just simply explain to her what the pros and cons of each value are. After looking at all of the "in hand" paperwork my mom decided to go with a Tbolt and she's very happy with it. A good selling point is removable batteries and memory. You aren't in a fixed situation like you would be with an iPhone. I can admit that battery life will more than likely be better with an iPhone, but after learning the Android system, ease of operation and the power she'll have in her pocket/purse. I believe the Android choice will help her and you sleep better at night.

TboltMeatclaws-talkatap
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    ROM
    das BAMF 1.8.6 NTE

;P
    Hahahahahaaa

tell her to wait for the new jitterbug lte...

I'm giving my mother my Thunderbolt either later this year or early next year when her upgrade comes due or when my wife's upgrade comes due. She came out to visit about a week and a half ago and I showed it to her and now she can't wait to get it.

She currently has a Samsung Rogue so she really likes the large screen. She wasn't sure about going to an all touch screen phone, but once she realized that the screen was glass, she seemed to like it.

Global Posts
    581 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 1.6.3 Remix/2.4 Lean

There are several ways to look at this.

IF you want to and have time to help her/explain/coach her, Android.
    If you don't have the time, iPhone.

My parents have Feature Phones, my mom, young 60s...can't even figure out voicemail.
    Some people want to learn and have the patience, some don't...just want a phone that works and don't care about apps, features, speed, etc.

You just have to figure out which one of those people your parents are. In truth, an iPhone or Android might not be right for them.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrekraker View Post
    tell her to wait for the new jitterbug lte...
    Oh man, my grandfather had Jitterbug until just a month or so ago even though my mom and I told him that we would put him on my family plan. My uncle finally put him on his Verizon family.

I love Verizon, but why are all of the plans for "seniors" (including the one's from Verizon) such ripoffs? Jitterbug may have easier phones, but their plans are a ripoff and the Verizon senior plans are a ripoff and their phones are not really any "easier".

But I digress...

Back to your regularly scheduled topic...
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

Here's a good pic to represent this thread...

TboltMeatclaws-talkatap
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast