Tethering and rooting

rquarles

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Occasionally I might want to tether my laptop to my phone. My phone is stock. I would prefer wireless tethering but I can connect via cable if I have to. My question is: Is there a way to tether a non rooted phone?

TIA:)

Ricom1

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I seem to remember seeing some non-root applications in the Market for tethering...but never tried any (I'm newly rooted and tethering!) Search the market to see what you can find.

thunderz

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I have not tried any but 3 that come to mind are pdanet, easytether, and klink. Verizon has blocked them on the market but you can access them by putting your phone in airplane mode and using wifi. Also Easytether is available in the amazon app store for ten bucks. Good luck!

EisBlade

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I have not tried any but 3 that come to mind are pdanet, easytether, and klink. Verizon has blocked them on the market but you can access them by putting your phone in airplane mode and using wifi. Also Easytether is available in the amazon app store for ten bucks. Good luck!

Ricom - the mentioned apps may have been delisted from Market, but you can browse directly to their website with your phone and download directly from there. I've tested PdaNet and verified that it works, but just know that it's a tethered app that requires a usb cable (or possibly BlueTooth, I don't remember).

Here's the direct URL: Download PdaNet

Install the app on both PC (32 or 64 bit) and your android phone. Good luck.

Ricom1

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Ricom - the mentioned apps may have been delisted from Market, but you can browse directly to their website with your phone and download directly from there. I've tested PdaNet and verified that it works, but just know that it's a tethered app that requires a usb cable (or possibly BlueTooth, I don't remember).

Here's the direct URL: Download PdaNet

Install the app on both PC (32 or 64 bit) and your android phone. Good luck.

I don't think they've been "delisted" but merely blocked by VZW. If you turn your phone to airplane mode and then connect to WiFi and search the market, they should show up. Again, this is hearsay, since I haven't tried it.

But since you gave the link directly, that's kind of a moot point;) Thanks.

Reactions: EisBlade

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they've been "delisted" but merely blocked by VZW. If you turn your phone to airplane mode and then connect to WiFi and search the market, they should show up. Again, this is hearsay, since I haven't tried it.

But since you gave the link directly, that's kind of a moot point;) Thanks.

Can confirm that this does work.

JimMLINY

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
PdaNet is an excellent app

Used it on my Palm Treo 700wx and HTC Ozone. Just installed it on TB and it works great. Install took a while to figure out. Getting it on phone is the task that was hard. Marketplace will block DL with message VZW does not authorize app for your phone.

I DL exe file from PdaNet site on computer, connected phone as disk drive to computer and started the install from computer file. That worked after many failed attempts.

Chillerman

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Occasionally I might want to tether my laptop to my phone. My phone is stock. I would prefer wireless tethering but I can connect via cable if I have to. My question is: Is there a way to tether a non rooted phone?

TIA:)

Yes, no need to download any apps at the moment. Your phone as is will tether via wireless or usb at least until June 15th (from what another thread is saying) for free! If you are just asking if you can tether a non rooted phone the answer is yes, with apps that are already on your phone (ie. mobile hotspot, or internet connection mode via usb). When it is you have to start paying for it remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463