Did the firmware update really do anything?

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not to be a complainer, but my GPS lock is still slow. I still switch from LTE to 4G at times, and my battery life isn't any better. I thought my voice call hiss was gone, but it's back today. My video sound may be a little better. Quite disappointed at this update, anyone else?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
My GPS lock time is down to seconds I can count on one hand. That's with a correct 'accuracy' of 15m or so. I still have some issues with it, but they seem to be rare and long between. I've noticed a slight drop in battery performance, if anything at all. I've yet to encounter any signal issues since updating.

Also, I used GPS Status to clear my A-GPS state and download the assistance data (every 24 hours). Over the three days after doing that, and before the update, my Maps GPS reliability improved and lock time went from 1-10 minutes to 30 seconds or a minute, with occasional instant locks. Please note it took two days or so to notice a significant change after doing this, although I cannot figure why.

EDIT: My battery dropped 7% while typing this. All stock, using browser, on 4G, with Maps running in background for half of the time while on auto brightness.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Not to be a complainer, but my GPS lock is still slow. I still switch from LTE to 4G at times, and my battery life isn't any better. I thought my voice call hiss was gone, but it's back today. My video sound may be a little better. Quite disappointed at this update, anyone else?

Run that by me again. You mean, you switch from 4G to 3G at times, correct? Because 4G *is* LTE with VZW.

If you are in a fringe 4G coverage area, then you will likely still have switching issues. I would recommend downloading the LTE on/off app and switching to CDMA Auto (PRL) for a week or so, then switching back and seeing if it improves. Your battery life would not be any better with that switching from 3G to 4G regularly. It means your phone is having to search for signal more often, which in turn drains the battery.

Reactions: phoenixone

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Run that by me again. You mean, you switch from 4G to 3G at times, correct? Because 4G *is* LTE with VZW.

If you are in a fringe 4G coverage area, then you will likely still have switching issues. I would recommend downloading the LTE on/off app and switching to CDMA Auto (PRL) for a week or so, then switching back and seeing if it improves. Your battery life would not be any better with that switching from 3G to 4G regularly. It means your phone is having to search for signal more often, which in turn drains the battery.

+1.
Constantly switching back and forth between 3G/4G drains the life out of your battery like a nagging wife. (Hehe.)

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
I would think something changed because I refuse to believe that a 25 or 30Mb software download kept everything the same on my phone. My extended battery life seems to be a lot better today. I am at 90% with 8 1/2 hrs unplugged, using 4G and the same amount phone usage I normally have. Normally I would be in the mid 80's percential.

barnebyjones

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Did the firmware update really do anything??

halolz-dot-com-teamfortress2-nope.avi-obama-poster.jpg

zog1977

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
it was a great device before the update, and it is an awesome device after the update.

the update inproved so many things!

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Pros - Audio on camcording is better. LTE seems to stay locked on better and switch to 3G is quicker when needed without losing data connection entirely. GPS locking on and working well.

Cons - Battery seems to be taking a hit. I've had very good luck with getting through a whole day on a charge but it seems it is draining faster. To be fair, it took a couple of weeks for it to settle in when I first got it.
Today, for the first time ever, the phone shut itself off completely with 73% battery remaining. I had never had a single power-off or random reboot until now. This could get interesting and not in a good way.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Pros - Audio on camcording is better. LTE seems to stay locked on better and switch to 3G is quicker when needed without losing data connection entirely. GPS locking on and working well.

Cons - Battery seems to be taking a hit. I've had very good luck with getting through a whole day on a charge but it seems it is draining faster. To be fair, it took a couple of weeks for it to settle in when I first got it.
Today, for the first time ever, the phone shut itself off completely with 73% battery remaining. I had never had a single power-off or random reboot until now. This could get interesting and not in a good way.

Earlier, mine shut off with just above 20% remaining. Let's hope this isn't a recurring problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463