Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by swade8 View Post
    I too have issues now with the ota update. My phone tends to reboot every three hours now. I called verizon tech and asked if I can revert back to previous firmware and they said, no. my phone has never rebooted since the release of the T bolt. But since the update yesterday.that's all it ever does now.grrrr.what are my options, besides rooting?? Also, my battery drops 10% every hour now. I used to get 10 to 12 hrs on the original firmware.this ota update had only made things worse for me.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    10% every hour sounds pretty good...?? So about 9 hours, then put it on to charge at about 10% remaining? I'm not gettin' the "only made things worse". Made things worse than what? 10-12 hrs???! Say what?
    Phone - Storm 1 to Droid X to Thunderbolt and REALLY lovin'it
    Tab - Returned the Xoom, now LOVING my Sammy 10.1

I get about 15-20% longer battery life since the OTA. This OTA really improved the battery life.

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Umm, that's odd a few of the members over at VZW customer council like me who get to use devices on a test basis have noticed a similar battery drain and reboot issues. Yet I have not had one instance of this concern. I had never rooted this TB since day one and have kept it clean with NO apps from Market. Could that have any bearing on a few misbehaving devices? possible.....
    Handspring>Palm>Win-Mo>iPhone>Blackberry>Droid>DroidX>Incredible>TB

Quote Originally Posted by equus View Post
    Umm, that's odd a few of the members over at VZW customer council like me who get to use devices on a test basis have noticed a similar battery drain and reboot issues. Yet I have not had one instance of this concern. I had never rooted this TB since day one and have kept it clean with NO apps from Market. Could that have any bearing on a few misbehaving devices? possible.....
    So are they working on a fix? I haven't had any issues since updating but I'm sure everyone wants to know what is being done, if for no other reason than to know that HTC and VZW aren't blowing us off. I know the OP asked but I wanted to ask the question again to someone from VZW.

ROM
    CM7, Stock

I was having the same problem. I did a battery pull/hard reset and that seems to have fixed the problem. My battery life is the same if not better and I haven't had one issue with this mysterious random reboots.
    Android 4 Life

"You're holding it wrong."
    - Steve Jobs

My battery life was about the same after the update until yesterday. For some reason around 8pm last night my phone started using 300-700mah consistently. Managed to drain my extended battery in 12 hours without any use. Tried everything this morning from reboots to uninstalling apps but nothing seemed to work. So I did a battery pull, left it out for a few minutes and it seems back to normal for now. Hope it stays that way.

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredJedi View Post
    So are they working on a fix? I haven't had any issues since updating but I'm sure everyone wants to know what is being done, if for no other reason than to know that HTC and VZW aren't blowing us off. I know the OP asked but I wanted to ask the question again to someone from VZW.
    Just to clarify I don't work for VZW, that said YES it is being worked on mostly by HTC. hope we all have an answer soon. Mind you, its not that easy to just come up with a fix and hope some patience is shown.
    Handspring>Palm>Win-Mo>iPhone>Blackberry>Droid>DroidX>Incredible>TB
    Thanked by:

Battery issues here as well but no random reboots though. I can put my phone down then go to make a call or check my email 2 or 3 hours later my battery drops about 50% with my phone being slightly warm like its getting a used for that period. And all my stats are normal. But I did notice that it the up arrow below 4LTE icon lights up every 10 seconds or so.

After OTA change with 1700 HTC Express battery installed, I changed back to original battery last night. Formerly got 4.5 hours per charge. Now, put the original battery in at 10:30 last night, it is still at 50% 19 hours later. How can that be???? Let it sleep until 6 AM, but it's been active all day. It is actually outperforming the HTC Express battery. I am baffled, but happy. So far.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

I'm having the same problems. I have the extended battery & before the update everything was fine, now post update the battery gets sucked away quickly, & its restarting frequently. I havent rooted it, & im using the lte on off app with 3g enabled most of the time.
    Last edited by Tinostre; 05-15-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Only reason I have a battery issue is because the phone is randomly rebooting itself several times a day... each uses a significant amount of juice, too.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

I noticed it was hanging on my facebook contact sync. It did not do that before the ota.

ROM
    Stock Non Rooted

Before OTA Battery was good and no random reboots. After OTA Battery is TERRIBLE & Random Rebooting SEVERAL times per day..... WTH HTC?!?!?! This needs to be fixed NOW!

My Battery life is amost HALF of what it was before the update! And I have 4G Turned off (no 4G in my area yet) Verizon & HTC will be getting a phone call tomorrow.
    HTC should have waited to push this update along with Gingerbread.

My battery life post OTA is horrible. Phone is about to die after 5.5 hours of light use, no random reboots though.

Multiple random reboots with two of them even being one after another. Not to mention the messaging app crashing every five minutes. /sadface

I think the OTA has been a very mixed bag for battery life.

For me, 4G standby drain has been significantly reduced (from 8-10%/hour) to 3-4%/hour. However, the OTA seems to have incompatibility with numerous apps, resulting in more rogue processes (in Android system or otherwise) that eat the battery like piranhas.

Last night I left the phone off the charger, and in 2 hours of airplane mode followed by 8 hours of 4G idle, the phone went from 100% to 84% with no use -- not bad at all. Recharged it right back up, then went to work. Again left it on 4G for 2-1/2 hours, went from 100% (probably more like 98%) to 86% with minimal use, still very reasonable. Started using it at lunch for some browsing, and it went to 71% in about 40 minutes (yikes), with the phone getting warm. Stopped using it completely (but left it on 4G). 20 minutes later, it had dropped to 64%, with the phone still warm. Rebooted immediately, leaving the phone at 57%. Then let it sit (with 4G) and about an hour later, still at 56%. Did some activities for an hour (part of the time charging on USB) with the phone ending up at 46%, then took it off the USB and let it sit for 4 hours (idling on 4G), with it ending up at 32%. Then started to use it again a little more (but not heavily -- just some browsing), and after a while the phone got warm and depleted down to 6% within an hour.

So I'm suspecting that people who are seeing improved battery life after the OTA have not been running into these rogue processes, while those who are seeing horrible life may be encountering rogue processes in running their normal apps, which didn't occur prior to the OTA, and these are gobbling up 20-30%/hour even when idle. Reboots seem to stop the processes, at the cost of several points of battery, but using the semi-incompatible apps again (perhaps) will start up the rogue processes again.

ROM
    Stock (For now)

I am not having battery issues. I havent since the beginning, but I have been reading most of the posts here about the battery drain.

It is starting, to me, to sound like syncing issues as the rogue processes. Some mentioned email sync being stuck, others mentioned facebook sync being stuck.

I wonder if some of you having battery issues would try turning off your syncing and see if it improves your battery life at all. If so, that info would be useful for HTC to know. I think they need to make sure that the syncing applications have some sort of timeout so that they dont drain the battery. Then again, maybe they do and that is what is acting up.

Anyway - my 2 cents

Good message. The biggest issue I see is why are some people happy and some not so much.

I have had a TB since the day it came out and use it with the larger battery. I cannot remember having a battery issue.

MY TBolt is on from 6:30am to 11pm everyday. WiFi & Bluetooth are always on. Display brightness is manual at 40% or so. I have 2 email clients that sync hourly and one is a pop3 with a LOT of messages. Weather utils, market prices and Google sync update frequently. Quite a bit of texting. Lots of phone use. Limited Web browsing

Since the OTA upgrade I am seriously ready to go back to the stock battery. At the end of every day I still have 60-70% battery life.

I noted that I only surf occasionally but my really big difference is I am only on 3G. Last Friday I was in 4G for 4-5 hours and I still did not see a big power drop but I did not hit the web during that time so I don't count it for any test value.

If you are on 3G and having battery problems I would do a hard reset and setup my phone from a fresh load.

If your are on 4G turn it off for a couple of days and see if that makes a difference.

So do we have any 4G users that are happy with their battery performance?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234