Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need to know how to transfer everything from one TB to another TB

Ok so my screen is jacked up with vertical lines running up 3/4 of it. A replacement is on the way. Once it gets here, do I simply move my SD card to the new phone and walaaa everything is the same or am I going to have to reinstall all my apps widgets etc.? What all will I need to do and can you all think of anything else I need to be aware of?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

I am not sure what to do but I bet if you call Verizon Tech Support they will tell you.
    Vzw Staff

Global Posts
    429 Global Posts

Phone will come just like your orginal one did. So yes you will pull from the new phone the SD card and take your current phone SD card and swap them. Now what is on the SD card is based on what applications you run and what you have saved to it, which is generally everything from your Gallery and Apps you installed to SD card and Video recordings ect. You can go into your contacts and Export your contacts to SD Card if you like a ton of people use Backup.

Now I have experienced two different types of things happening if you have the two features selected in your phone settings under the "Privacy" menu. First was within 3-4 minutes of booting up the new phone it pulled my old phone Wallpaper settings and of course started to download all my market apps. Of course it can't always save applications settings so you will be spending some time doing those again. If you run a skin that in my experience does not save and will need to be reselected.

You can try programs like Titanium Backup and few other great quality market apps to help you save yourself time in moving all your stuff to a new phone. In the end I had bad experiences with the "Privacy" Settings of Back up my settings / Automatic Restore and was advised by HTC to disable them and do a restore and ensure they were unchecked still on restore and do one more and start from scratch to have a what they stated was a "clean" install of the phones settings and software.
    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks a lot for your helpful advice and for sharing your experience. Sure is a lot better now than going into it blind.
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

You can use the app "my backup" to backup all your apps, data, contacts, etc... to the SD card. So when you get the new phone simply instal your old SD card and download the my backup app again. Now open it and use the restore option.

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted, Unlocked

Actually, to throw in one more thing, you might want to consider formatting your SD card after you make a full copy of it on your computer. Then you can copy your photos and such back one at a time. I generally like to start a brand new phone as brand new. Sometimes, a bad file that borked your first phone can bork the second phone, but considering that you had a hardware failure, you should be fine.

I also don't like the backup settings that are on the phone, but I do fully endorse Titanium backup, but that assumes that you are rooted.

Good luck!

ROM
    Das BAMF 2.3

I just had to exchange my Thunderbolt with Wirefly due to the lower volume button did not work. I used My Backup Pro and it was restored just like I left it including sms chats, settings, etc, etc. I was very happy. Since this was an exchange, the SD card was new. I just copied the entire SD card to my laptop before I sent it back and copied it to the new SD card. Installed My Backup Pro and ran the restore.

There was only one app that I lost data for called Mileage. I was alittle disappointed because I had a few months worth of gas fillups saved. Other than that it was all there.

FYI: Not rooted