Does this annoy anyone else?

ejweber

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I may be a little obsessive compulsive, I don't know, but this really annoys me. My mom's phone number is, let's say, 123-456-7890. When I want to call up most people, i simply use the T9 feature in the stock dialer to look up their name and hit call. However, when I'm calling my mom, it's habit to quickly punch in her seven digit phone number, in this case 4567890. However, when I do this, the call history shows a call to an unknown contact with this number rather than a call to my mom.

I was just curious if anyone else was annoyed by this quirk. I tried TouchPal Dialer to see if it improved on the problem. TouchPal can at lease suggest to me that I'm trying to call my mom when I enter in 4567890 (the stock dialer only recognizes phone number searches starting from the first digit), but it will still create an unkown contact if I choose to hit the send button.

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
You must be in an area that still allows 7 digit dialing. It's probably been 20 years since I've used 7 digit dialing. I would just create a speed dial for your mom and start a new habit.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I was under the impression that even people who live in areas that still allow 7-digit dialing, you still need to dial the area code when using a cell phone (I wouldn't know...10 digit dialing has been required here in the DC/VA/MD area since before most people had cell phones).

Either way, I doubt this annoys too many people, as most are already used to dialing 10 digits.

Just do what I do...type "mom" and SEND. done.

ejweber

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'll be honest, I had no idea 10 digit dialing was a requirement anywhere, let alone in the majority of area codes. I live in a city of about 400,000 people. The entire city, as well as much of the surrounding area, is within a single area code. As far as I can remember, I've never been required to dial any more than seven digits unless I was calling out of town.

You're probably right about this not annoying to many people with 10 digit dialing being the norm. Still, I don't understand why the stock dialer can't recognize the seven digit number I dial and associate it with the ten digit one in my phone's memory.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'll be honest, I had no idea 10 digit dialing was a requirement anywhere, let alone in the majority of area codes. I live in a city of about 400,000 people. The entire city, as well as much of the surrounding area, is within a single area code. As far as I can remember, I've never been required to dial any more than seven digits unless I was calling out of town.

You're probably right about this not annoying to many people with 10 digit dialing being the norm. Still, I don't understand why the stock dialer can't recognize the seven digit number I dial and associate it with the ten digit one in my phone's memory.

Yeah, most major metropolitan areas have had multiple area codes for a while now, so 10-digit dialing is the norm. Has been that way in Baltimore area (where I grew up) since the mid-90's, the entire state of MD actually.

And you're right...I just checked. I entered my own mother's phone number, without area code, and it didn't show up in the auto-search list...I was a bit surprised.

I have all my friends and family on speed dial, and have also learned to type the name when searching, even for those people who's numbers I know...guess I'm just used to that.

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

That's like saying why doesn't the dialer recognize a number when I only type in 2 digits. 7 != 10. Use 10 digit dialing for everything and your problem is solved.

Set from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk.

jayven

May 5, 2011
Visit site
In my contact list, my mother's name is "Mom". Rather than enter her phone number when I call her [and, yes, we should all use speed dial as others have pointed out], I simply enter her name in the phone keypad. M-O-M on the phone keypad is 6-6-6. By the time the third 6 is entered, Mom appears at the top of the list.

The fact that 666 is the number for Mom on a phone keypad is an issue we'll need to examine further. :)

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
In my contact list, my mother's name is "Mom". Rather than enter her phone number when I call her [and, yes, we should all use speed dial as others have pointed out], I simply enter her name in the phone keypad. M-O-M on the phone keypad is 6-6-6. By the time the third 6 is entered, Mom appears at the top of the list.

The fact that 666 is the number for Mom on a phone keypad is an issue we'll need to examine further. :)

lmfao I'll have to inform my mom of this because she is also in my phone as MOM ;)

Goat-Tee

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
None of my 176 contacts require 10 digits. I can't remember the last time I typed in an area code. The only time mine shows an unknown call is for numbers that are no longer valid for the contact.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

I laughed out loud when I read your post.

ejweber

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
That's like saying why doesn't the dialer recognize a number when I only type in 2 digits. 7 != 10. Use 10 digit dialing for everything and your problem is solved.

I dont really feel as if this is true at all. It's not as if I am asking my phone to guess three extra random digits. I type in seven sequential digits out of a possible ten and expect my phone to recognize that the only difference between the number I typed and a number in my contacts is the area code already associated with my phone number. What's more, other dialers, TouchPal being one I have personally tested, are able to start pulling possible numbers out of my contacts after I type only a couple digits. All I ask is that HTC's own dialer manage a small portion of this functionality in order to keep my call log looking clean.

Either way, I have resigned myself to the fact that I will simply have to dial by name from this point on, so it doesn't really matter.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited: