So how much internal memory does the Bolt have?

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I know it comes with a 32GB memory card and had 768MB RAM, but how much actual internal storage is there?

Every spec sheet I have seen says 8GB but I swear I have read that it only actually has 4GB...

Can anyone that owns one tell me for sure what it has?

Thanks!!!

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Weird, I ask because I was looking at a co-workers Bolt and it said avail space was like 2.xx GB and I thought that was awfully low for having 8GB total......

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
It has 8G, but I believe they don't let us see all of it. I'm not exactly sure why they don't let us see the full space, but I don't think the Tbolt is the only one they do this to.

kalopsia

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ya, we're supposed to have 40gb total of space...but we only end up with about 31gb, a little bit of a bummer. I was expecting for us to have about 34-35gb. I know from experience you never get the full listed space. But it does seem like we are missing a bit more than we should from the internal memory...

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Ya, we're supposed to have 40gb total of space...but we only end up with about 31gb, a little bit of a bummer. I was expecting for us to have about 34-35gb. I know from experience you never get the full listed space. But it does seem like we are missing a bit more than we should from the internal memory...

The OP was asking about the 8G of internal. The 40G you are talking about = 32G (SD Card) + 8G internal... and you are not going to see a full 32G on the SD Card, because it needs some for the file system.

kalopsia

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The OP was asking about the 8G of internal. The 40G you are talking about = 32G (SD Card) + 8G internal... and you are not going to see a full 32G on the SD Card, because it needs some for the file system.

Thanks Captain Obvious. Is Major Misses The Point available?

I was simply stating that yes, there is only 2.xx gb of internal memory, which combined with the 29.xx gb of external memory comes well below the 40gb of quoted memory, but the 29.xx of external memory is about right (from experience - formatting and what not), so the 2.xx of internal memory seems like a lot less than we should have.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
It may be 8GB, but that internal storage has basically been put into a "virtual RAID" so only half is available*, subtract the space needed for the OS itself, and you end up with about 2.5 usable GB of internal storage for apps and data and whatnot.

*There are articles and forum posts out there that describe exactly what this is, pardon me for not searching for and linking to them to provide a 100% accurate response. Basically, this was done to improve overall reliability at the expense of lost space

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
"Hey, man, it's quality not quantity"

images

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
The reason why any storage drive you see always has less space than advertised is actually a translation goof up between the manufacturers and the programmers. If I remember correctly, I believe the manufacturers calculate space in binary? (in which 1 KB is 1,024 B; 1 MB is 1,024 KB; etc) which equates to the advertised space, whereas programmers calculate space in decimal?(in which 1 KB is 1,000 B; 1 MB is 1,000 KB; etc). I think thats what it was.

Android OS + Sense 2.0 takes over 5+ GB of space. Now, while on other phones there is a segregate OS partition for this, the Thunderbolt confusingly put it with the general internal storage.

If you want internal storage, get the Revolution that comes out this month. 16 GB of internal storage (14 usable) + 32 GB SD card.

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
If you want internal storage, get the Revolution that comes out this month. 16 GB of internal storage (14 usable) + 32 GB SD card.

Wont even consider it..... When I want a Android phone its because I prefer Google services NOT Bing, if I wanted Bing's trash on my phone I would get a Windows phone.

Reactions: nate44

meballard

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The reason why any storage drive you see always has less space than advertised is actually a translation goof up between the manufacturers and the programmers. If I remember correctly, I believe the manufacturers calculate space in binary? (in which 1 KB is 1,024 B; 1 MB is 1,024 KB; etc) which equates to the advertised space, whereas programmers calculate space in decimal?(in which 1 KB is 1,000 B; 1 MB is 1,000 KB; etc). I think thats what it was.
Almost, but the reverse. Computers operate in binary (1024 multiplier), the manufacturers sell in decimal (1000 multiplier).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay