Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

Default Why I chose the TB and why I am still glad I did, despite issues.

Given that it is natural for any discussion forum to trend toward the negative about a product, I wanted to point out my reasons for getting a TB over the other options.

I should note that I bought my TB just recently, so I was fully aware of the battery issues and 4G issues, and was not blindsided by them (which I can imagine pissed a lot of you off). These negatives factored into my decision, and I still bought it over the DINC2, Charge, DX2 and even the elusive Bionic superphone. Here were my reasons:

1. Build quality. HTC just makes great hardware. My wife and daughter have DINC's, which have been great. The heft, the balance, the "fit and finish", all terrific.

2. I don't want physical buttons. Two of my other choices, the Charge and DX2 come with hardware buttons, not capacitive. I know it is a personal preference, but I prefer capacitive.

3. RAM. The extra RAM that comes in the TB was a MAJOR selling point. Coming from the cramped D1, I may be prejudiced toward more RAM, and maybe it is a placebo effect, but I just think it all moves more smoothly and will handle multiple tasks better.

4. Dual core not fully optimized. I decided that the extra RAM was more important than the dual core in the DX2 . . . for now. Maybe in a year or more when the firmware and apps are optimized for dual core it will be a deciding factor.

5. Sense UI over other skins. While I immediately put Launcher Pro on my TB, all of the "innards" of the UI are still going to be visible and if I can't have vanilla Android, I prefer Sense to the other two skins.

6. Battery life manageable. I did enough reading to know that with a few adjustments (such as the Blockbuster issue), I would likely be able to make the battery workable for me.

So, even with the known issues (including the reboot, of which I have luckily only had a few, and expect this to get fixed anyway), I could not be happier with my TB. I am sure I made the right choice for this time and place. Anyone else satisfied overall?
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Given that it is natural for any discussion forum to trend toward the negative about a product, I wanted to point out my reasons for getting a TB over the other options.

I should note that I bought my TB just recently, so I was fully aware of the battery issues and 4G issues, and was not blindsided by them (which I can imagine pissed a lot of you off). These negatives factored into my decision, and I still bought it over the DINC2, Charge, DX2 and even the elusive Bionic superphone. Here were my reasons:

1. Build quality. HTC just makes great hardware. My wife and daughter have DINC's, which have been great. The heft, the balance, the "fit and finish", all terrific.

2. I don't want physical buttons. Two of my other choices, the Charge and DX2 come with hardware buttons, not capacitive. I know it is a personal preference, but I prefer capacitive.

3. RAM. The extra RAM that comes in the TB was a MAJOR selling point. Coming from the cramped D1, I may be prejudiced toward more RAM, and maybe it is a placebo effect, but I just think it all moves more smoothly and will handle multiple tasks better.

4. Dual core not fully optimized. I decided that the extra RAM was more important than the dual core in the DX2 . . . for now. Maybe in a year or more when the firmware and apps are optimized for dual core it will be a deciding factor.

5. Sense UI over other skins. While I immediately put Launcher Pro on my TB, all of the "innards" of the UI are still going to be visible and if I can't have vanilla Android, I prefer Sense to the other two skins.

6. Battery life manageable. I did enough reading to know that with a few adjustments (such as the Blockbuster issue), I would likely be able to make the battery workable for me.

So, even with the known issues (including the reboot, of which I have luckily only had a few, and expect this to get fixed anyway), I could not be happier with my TB. I am sure I made the right choice for this time and place. Anyone else satisfied overall?
    Great Post,

Nice to read positive things about the bolt!

ROM
    CM7 RC1.2

I LOVE my T-Bolt. The dev community is amazing in what they have come out with so far. I wouldn't trade it for anything currently out, or coming in the new couple months. I'll probably look into some of the dual core phone this time next year, but the Bolt has got me at the least until then.
    -SoDev

I really don't mind manually tweaking things occasionally to keep any piece of technology I own in full-race trim. I agree with the OP's post. With the exception of a few minor quirks (and some good luck I guess), I'm really happy with my decision to go with the Thunderbolt. But hey, what the heck do I know? I was sitting there waiting for the BB Storm 3 train to arrive when I got run over by the Android bus ....

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

I had an iphone for the past two years and just bough the Thunderbolt. I love the phone but don't know too many ways to save the battery. What is the "blockbuster" situation and how can I fix it? Also, do you have any other tips on how to save battery?

Thank You.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by SoDev View Post
    I LOVE my T-Bolt. The dev community is amazing in what they have come out with so far. I wouldn't trade it for anything currently out, or coming in the new couple months. I'll probably look into some of the dual core phone this time next year, but the Bolt has got me at the least until then.
    I've been wanting to switch to vzw for a while now. I had them before sprint and never had an issue with coverage (big issue with me now). My one gripe... I plan on watching a lot of netflix/hulu at work (I kinda have a desk job and work with just 1 other person... she has an evo). On her phone, she can plug it in while she has the kickstand out. Anyone have a work around... dock or something? I know it sounds stupid, but this is a big factor on why I haven't jumped over this phone yet.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bvilly View Post
    I had an iphone for the past two years and just bough the Thunderbolt. I love the phone but don't know too many ways to save the battery. What is the "blockbuster" situation and how can I fix it? Also, do you have any other tips on how to save battery?

Thank You.
    If its an option for you, the extended battery. This phone has a smaller battery than my current phone (Epic 4g) and a bigger, less efficient screen.

All of those points are basically the same reason I got my TBolt! I also came from a D1, which I do still love; however, the RAM is still short. I have recently rooted my TB and got rid of the bloat. That has definitely helped the battery situation. Although the TB may not be as 'fast' as what a dual core may be, I am not disappointed by any means by it's speed! All in all....I love my ThunderBolt as well!!!!!!

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    If its an option for you, the extended battery. This phone has a smaller battery than my current phone (Epic 4g) and a bigger, less efficient screen.

Thanks Andrew. I thought about the extended battery but I really do not like the size of it. I believe it will make the back of the phone stick out. Do you know of this blockbuster resolution the guy above mentioned?

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by P I T A View Post
    All of those points are basically the same reason I got my TBolt! I also came from a D1, which I do still love; however, the RAM is still short. I have recently rooted my TB and got rid of the bloat. That has definitely helped the battery situation. Although the TB may not be as 'fast' as what a dual core may be, I am not disappointed by any means by it's speed! All in all....I love my ThunderBolt as well!!!!!!

how do i get rid of the "bloat"? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    I've been wanting to switch to vzw for a while now. I had them before sprint and never had an issue with coverage (big issue with me now). My one gripe... I plan on watching a lot of netflix/hulu at work (I kinda have a desk job and work with just 1 other person... she has an evo). On her phone, she can plug it in while she has the kickstand out. Anyone have a work around... dock or something? I know it sounds stupid, but this is a big factor on why I haven't jumped over this phone yet.
    This may vary from phone to phone but my kickstand's spring is quite firm enough that it will hold the phone up when it is turned upside down and the charging cable is now plugged into the "top" of the phone. I have heard others say theirs won't support it in that orientation. I get a bit of quiet time at work at night and have been loving streaming HBO GO via LTE. You've got a bit of a wait on Netflix I'm afraid but a working version of it is in the pipeline already, just not for TBolt yet.

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts

Pretty sure you'd have to root your phone first.
    Check out the threads here...http://forum.androidcentral.com/thun...ng-roms-hacks/

The BlockBuster thing is not that big a deal. Open the Blockbuster app and choose Menu>Settings and the 7th item down the list click on DISABLE Movie Updates. This will stop it from going out and downloading data by itself. Unless of course you use the Blockbuster app. To remove it, and all other bloatware, you'll need to root the device.
    Rem

ROM
    BAMF Remix v1.8.6

Thanks Andrew. I thought about the extended battery but I really do not like the size of it. I believe it will make the back of the phone stick out. Do you know of this blockbuster resolution the guy above mentioned?
    1) Open the Blockbuster app. When it prompts you to update the app, do so.
    2) After it updates, skip the "Activate Device" popup by tapping the back arrow, then tap "Disable Movie Updates".

Bloat cannot be removed without rooting.

Great points in this post, though. The first two were priority for me as well. HTC won me over with the Incredible and so far I've been nothing but thrilled with my Bolt.

Thank you for your post, Vance! I get frustrated as H*LL at my Bolt sometimes, but you'd have to pry it from my viewing-room-wired-together fingers to get it from me at this point. I adore it and there is nothing available - nor nothing I've heard of on the horizon - that I'd rather have than the Thunderbolt.

I love my Tbolt and i really never have issues. My battery life is great and its definitely the smoothest phone to date. Its still fairly new, so im sure htc and verizon will work out the bugs.

All of you are in denial and wish you would have saved your money lol. Just joking. Tbolt is a solid device
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

Who you trying to convince? I love mine too, despite the bugs. Not even close to the buggiest phone I've ever had.

Forums are for help and tips. I don't think discussing bugs and glitches means the phone is crappy.

But I won't ignore the bugs either. Hope they're resolved...pretty sure they will be. I know people are now making threads like...my phone is phone, my phone is flawless, anyone happy with their phone....but how many of those thread can we have? They get annoying too.

Just because I post I have reboots doesn't mean I dislike the Thunderbolt!
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

I posted this for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, when smart shoppers are researching phones, they come to places like this to get the inside scoop from those who already own the phone. So, this post is for them, and could assist in the decision-making process. I also like seeing both the pros and cons on a device being discussed, generally. I looked through the first few pages of the forum and didn't see any positive threads, even though I suspected that most here were actually pretty happy with their phone overall.

And, you are absolutely right, the best use of this forum is to figure out solutions to problems. I have posted a number of questions like that myself.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

I agree. Also, I think early adopters expect some kinks. Goes with the territory. I plan on having this gem for two years. Looking forward to updates but am very satisfied as is.

Glad you joined us.
    Last edited by Chrisy; 05-19-2011 at 03:47 PM.

ROM
    Stock

Thumbs up

DITTO on feelin' the LUV for my Tbolt and my wife is enjoying her's also! Would not trade if for the "other" 4G choice. Seen it, played with it, glad we went for the Tbolt!!
    HTC Thunderbolt
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Accrete View Post
    DITTO on feelin' the LUV for my Tbolt and my wife is enjoying her's also! Would not trade if for the "other" 4G choice. Seen it, played with it, glad we went for the Tbolt!!
    My wife says it is just too big for her . . . (insert your own "that's what she said" joke here!). She prefers the size of her DINC. So, when she upgrades, it will likely be to something like the DINC2. The good thing is that the DINC was such a solid phone, she has no desire to upgrade for a while!

Agreed. I was an early adopter of the original Droid X and I sold it after three months because I was having lots of issues and moved to a Blackberry Bold. I'm back in the Android camp now and from my comparison:
    1. Sense is much better than Blur.
    2. I do miss the X being as skinny as it was, but other than that - I really like the TB.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Default tbolt

I have the extended battery vz sells, have had not one reboot issue, and couldn't be happier with this phone.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

The reason I got my Thunderbolt is because i just plan wanted one. I wanted one every since i saw it on BGR last year. I saw the EVO and I was jealous. I craved a kickstand and a 4.3 inch screen. I now have my awesome phone. Never cared about dual core or quad core for that matter. When IceCream comes to handsets in the same form factor I may get a new phone. Specs matter of course but I LOVE my Tbolt despite the issues.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast